MZ Preview #7: MZ Sample Games, Upcoming MZ First Look Stream!

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I did a little test with some of the autotiles to showcase the differences between MV and MZ. I had to move around some things on the MZ tilesheets so it was the same as MV. There are some little differences what kind of autotiles exist for both.

Top is MV, bottom is MZ:

vergleich_outside.png

Last edited:

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
So, I'm a total dork, and I imported the MZ tiles from the sample games into MV, and made a bunch of maps, comparing the MZ tileset with MV's.

TLDR: MZ's tiles are superior to MV's in almost every way.

-The grass and trees in MZ looks FAR better than MV's.
-The exterior walls and roofs look better in MZ.
-The inside tiles in MZ look FAR better than MV's.
-The more rounded cliffs in MZ look better than MV's.
-Even the regular dirt path autotile looks a lot cleaner in MZ than in MV.

-The dungeon tiles gave me pause, especially at first. MV had pretty solid dungeon tiles, and MZ's are a striking change that, at first, I was disappointed by. But after experimenting with them, I think it's just a stylistic difference - and the clarity of MZ's dungeon tiles is growing on me - it feels like there's less of a burden of being an amazing mapper in order to make the RTP look decent.

There are a handful of weaknesses I did notice in MZ's tileset:

-If I'm not mistaken, there is no normal brick chimney tile in the exterior set. It's easy enough to import MV's chimney into the tileset though.

-A very tiny number of MZ's tiles are poor quality (every RTP seems to have this) - the most striking example is the yellow roof A3 tile. Like what? It doesn't even look like it stylistically matches with the rest of the tiles.

-There are a few staple tiles that I'm not sure how I feel about - the brown and grey rocks in exterior, for example, look a little strange. The tin/metal scarecrow seems less medieval-fantasy-appropriate than the straw scarecrow that was in MV's, as another example. Also, yeah, the demon castle tiles becoming green instead of purple is a downgrade (Touchfuzzy agreed as much on his stream).

I had considered importing MV's tiles into MZ because there is no question that MZ is going to be the superior engine - but my current feeling is that MZ's RTP is the way to go - with the occasional edit or replacement of something from MV's tiles in a specific case.

duty

Keepin' it simple
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Apologies if I spaced it on the demo, but was the priority for multiple attack skill traits mentioned?

If there are multiple sources of traits that set an actor's attack skill (state, equipment, class, and actor) do some override others?

And if this is true:
MV = Mobile Version
MZ = Mobile Zero
I think an opportunity was missed for more mecha in the Sci Fi assets.

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I think both of the rtps have some good and some bad in it. I like a lot of MZ in the B and C tiles, but for me personally MV has the better autotiles hands down.
But nothing stops me to combine both MZ and MV rtp until I'm happy with it and it fits my taste :LZSsmile:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Candacis The thing that struck me most in the comparisons you posted was the fact that the more rounded and interesting edges of the river in MV have been lost in MZ. It's clearest, imo, in the snow map, but it's there in all of them.

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
And then you share your magically augmented creation of the perfectly melded tileset with the community, right @Candacis ?? :) :)

@Kes I actually hadn't looked carefully at the snow tiles in MZ but based on those screenshots, I definitely feel like MV's snow tiles are superior - I don't like the snow dirt path tile in MZ, and I also liked how MV had the more wintry-looking water.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ just looks a lot brighter. If you want to mix MV and MZ, you'll probably need to desaturate the tiles somewhat. I also hate those hideous yellow-green roof tiles. Guess the artists didn't want red roofs this time around. xD

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
I haven't seen the news for a while, so pardon me if this was answered before, but about that "Click on Picture to trigger Event"-thing:

Will this work a bit like in visual novel maker? Meaning when you hover over the picture you can get it highlighted for example, or have a sound play when it's hovered over or clicked on?

Would be awesome, because this would open MZ up to be a good engine for nonrpg games like for example one of these web business tycoon games.

Drokkkon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Question: MZ will have anything to make it better to export games to Android?

Right now it's a complex thing to have a MZ game working at Android.

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I didn't think it was possible, but the transition between the river tiles and the waterfall cliff tiles is significantly worse in MZ. And MV was already unusable.

Overall the autotiles look a lot worse in general...

mardin

"...pretty please?"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Question: MZ will have anything to make it better to export games to Android?

Right now it's a complex thing to have a MZ game working at Android.
That was already answered on the last page.

It will most likely stay the same.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
MZ just looks a lot brighter. If you want to mix MV and MZ, you'll probably need to desaturate the tiles somewhat. I also hate those hideous yellow-green roof tiles. Guess the artists didn't want red roofs this time around. xD
I personally like the brightness from the MZ tilesets as that gives the MZ tilesets a similar look to the graphics from the 16-bit JRPGs (more specifically, the ones from the SNES era), so I would recommend increasing the contrast of the MV tilesets instead of using desaturation on any of the tilesets to make the MV tilesets match up with the MZ tilesets. Contrast should be done as an Adjustment Layer as an Adjustment Layer can be altered and deleted at any time. If Sharpen becomes necessary for some of the MV tilesets and if you are using Photoshop for graphic alteration, then you should convert the MV tileset layer into a Smart Object and use Smart Sharpen to get the sharpening done. With Smart Object, you will have full control of Smart Sharpen (including the ability to delete the Smart Sharpen filter).

Bastrophian

The Pixel Heartist!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Umm.... just per-ordered, two question... I per-ordered on the site store, I wanted to get one of the other pre-order option that I saw on steam, but didint see either of them... So, can I just not get them now :( ? Also, I had a exe file in my purchase history for this called ExtraAssets_J.exe ... like, what is that? It just brings up a box with Japanese text and I have no idea what it is :/ .

EDIT: oh, ok... was able to run it through google translate... I guess it extracts zips?

EDIT: :D oh, ok its looks like I can just cart the bundle on steam and it will deduct the price for MZ from my total :3 . Everything is ok everyone, dont panic! Its ok! :D

Last edited:

KakonComp

Lucid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Ostinato
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Mz's auto-tile cliffs are a little more rounded on the edges at least.
I think other than everything about the water, I do prefer how MZ's tiles look in Candacis' side by side comparison.

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Oh well. Boh with this APK creation although I really don't understand KADOKAWA. It seems that they make development easier, but at the same time they make you try hard if you want to play the game on mobile platforms and not from a browser. Although browsers are a separate topic. Not all hostings allow to use at the beginning of the file name, for example "!" or "$". A very small part of the hosting allows this and they are mostly paid and expensive.
If only MV packed all game files (at least graphics) into an archive just like VX Ace did so that you could insert a project on any hosting.

But okay. KADOKAWA will not solve this problem.
I have a different question altogether. Say at least that you can now pause the timer. This thing has been sorely lacking since the RPG Maker 2003 era. I have to use a plugin in MV. If this has not been added, I hope it will be added in the near future. I will be very grateful for that. This is a very useful thing. For example, when we read text, the timer continues to run and sometimes it makes sense to pause it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

And then I figured out a way to doing a "regular animation" that's affected by PIXI particles. So now each frame of the animation gets particle effects. Soon my dreams of a world without QSprite will be realized. :kaopride:
Currently every NPC in my RPG gets a name, its kinda useless to name all, but Its also cool, somehow.
Biggest prob is to come up with different names. xD
I'm back from my visit to my family. Was really great to see them again after a year even if I had to get tested for covid for the visit.
Procrastination at it's finest.
annnnd after 2 days lol... and I still feel I need to work out a few kinks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterjohn