MZ Preview #7: MZ Sample Games, Upcoming MZ First Look Stream!

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Touchfuzzy Sorry for nagging but any update on the bundles in the store?
For reasons I can't go into, I believe we want have them in the RMW store before the release. The first week of release the deals should be the same though.

Apologies for us not being able to get this done. It will make more sense once Thursday rolls around.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Touchfuzzy Thanks for the update and checking into it when you have tons to do!

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
Reply to this message:
Oh well. Boh with this APK creation although I really don't understand KADOKAWA. It seems that they make development easier, but at the same time they make you try hard if you want to play the game on mobile platforms and not from a browser. Although browsers are a separate topic. Not all hostings allow to use at the beginning of the file name, for example "!" or "$". A very small part of the hosting allows this and they are mostly paid and expensive.
If only MV packed all game files (at least graphics) into an archive just like VX Ace did so that you could insert a project on any hosting.

But okay. KADOKAWA will not solve this problem.
I have a different question altogether. Say at least that you can now pause the timer. This thing has been sorely lacking since the RPG Maker 2003 era. I have to use a plugin in MV. If this has not been added, I hope it will be added in the near future. I will be very grateful for that. This is a very useful thing. For example, when we read text, the timer continues to run and sometimes it makes sense to pause it.

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Alexandr_7 Looking at the pre-release 0.9.5 code, it does not appear that there is a timer pause function. This may or may not change with the official version 1 release.

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
So MZ won't give me a wonderful present. Eh damn it. Have to write KADOKAWA this idea. I think it's not difficult to add and I hope for the entire existence of MZ it will be added anyway.

Lion Blade Soler

Autistic Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I decided to take another look at the MZ tilesets from the Souls Lore sample game and I have to say that I definitely like the MZ tilesets. Having said that and if anything, the autotile tilesets could use a very slight blur on them in order to make them soft and to help them match more with the Tiles B and C, which look a bit soft in comparison to the very sharp MZ autotile tilesets. On the other hand, the contrast on the MZ tilesets are really good, in my opinion. I'm planning to make variants of some of the tile parts, so in case of the yellow roof, that's not an issue to me as I was planning to make different variants of the roof regardless of its color anyway :).

Galenmereth

Retired
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh well. Boh with this APK creation although I really don't understand KADOKAWA. It seems that they make development easier, but at the same time they make you try hard if you want to play the game on mobile platforms and not from a browser. Although browsers are a separate topic. Not all hostings allow to use at the beginning of the file name, for example "!" or "$". A very small part of the hosting allows this and they are mostly paid and expensive.
If only MV packed all game files (at least graphics) into an archive just like VX Ace did so that you could insert a project on any hosting.
I think they explained perfectly why making a "one-click" or built-in deployment solution for mobile platforms is unfeasible. You'd need a dedicated dev team to do it and it would vastly inflate the costs of the engine. That, or you'd make it an optional costly feature, akin to what game maker studio does.

Just for reference: I helped develop mobile apps in the past for years, and I can say from personal experience that it's an ever-shifting environment that cost the company I worked for incredible amounts of money. We had four full-time senior developers for both Android and iOS (four per platform), and it ended up costing us way too much to keep the apps updated constantly, supporting all the new and old devices and os versions, as well as adhering to ever-changing terms and platform guidelines.

As for packing the assets (traditionally called the RTP) in a separate download: These days most projects use custom and edited assets, so having a shared central RTP doesn't make much sense anymore. It was great for a time when that wasn't a case and bandwidth was expensive, but that's not the case anymore for the vast majority.

Alexandr_7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I think they explained perfectly why making a "one-click" or built-in deployment solution for mobile platforms is unfeasible. You'd need a dedicated dev team to do it and it would vastly inflate the costs of the engine. That, or you'd make it an optional costly feature, akin to what game maker studio does.

Just for reference: I helped develop mobile apps in the past for years, and I can say from personal experience that it's an ever-shifting environment that cost the company I worked for incredible amounts of money. We had four full-time senior developers for both Android and iOS (four per platform), and it ended up costing us way too much to keep the apps updated constantly, supporting all the new and old devices and os versions, as well as adhering to ever-changing terms and platform guidelines.

As for packing the assets (traditionally called the RTP) in a separate download: These days most projects use custom and edited assets, so having a shared central RTP doesn't make much sense anymore. It was great for a time when that wasn't a case and bandwidth was expensive, but that's not the case anymore for the vast majority.
I have already answered. Boch with this porting to Androyd. In fact, this is not the most essential. The most important thing is that the characters "!" and "$" at the beginning of the name is prohibited by many hosting providers, which makes uploading the game to the hosting to create a Web version simply impossible.
I have already answered. Boch with this porting to Androyd. In fact, this is not the most essential. The most important thing is that the characters "!" and "$" at the beginning of the name is prohibited by many hosting providers, which makes uploading the game to the hosting to create a Web version simply impossible.
And you can solve this if you get rid of this system or if the files are in a separate file
In the case of 1, KADOKAWA will not just do it. Is that only for the new RPG Makera, which will be after MZ.
In the case of the 2nd, this will certainly affect the performance of games, and it is unlikely that KADOKAWA will suffer with these.

winkr7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
N/A
And you can solve this if you get rid of this system or if the files are in a separate file
In the case of 1, KADOKAWA will not just do it. Is that only for the new RPG Makera, which will be after MZ.
In the case of the 2nd, this will certainly affect the performance of games, and it is unlikely that KADOKAWA will suffer with these.
You should be able to make a plugin that replaces the "!" with another string (like "erp") you can see in the js code where this is and just rewrite it yourself without a plugin. It is a very minor change.

ferallag

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
with the new layered system would it be much easier to set where we can go on the map?
say i am building a dungeon , would i be able to allow my actor to go behind a wall for instance? because its on an upper layer? or perhaps import the same tile set twice and then set it to be passable ?
i know that soon we will find out but does anyone know the answer to that?

Last edited:

Skyroar

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
N/A
with the new layered system would it be much easier to set where we can go on the map?
say i am building a dungeon , would i be able to allow my actor to go behind a wall for instance? because its on an upper layer? or perhaps import the same tile set twice and then set it to be passable ?
i know that soon we will find out but does anyone know the answer to that?
Layers don't affect what is or isn't passable.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Layers don't affect what is or isn't passable.
They kinda do, in that passability is checked from the top layer down, and as soon as a tile is found that is not a star, it uses that. That is the same for MZ as it was for VX, Ace, and MV.

The ability to dictate what goes on each layer is new to MZ, so it means an A tile could override a B tile, if it's placed on a higher layer. But the order of checking passability (top layer to bottom layer) is still the same.

masterkof

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
Can I ask if the steam version of RPG MAKER MZ delayed because for me it says available on the 21 August. Yes, I am from asia which is an hour away from japan.

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@masterkof For me it says it's available on the 20th, with "This application will unlock in approximately 1 day and 6 hours" just underneath it.

rooge

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@The Stranger It's the same for me as it is for you. So it follows that my plans for midnight tonight are ruined. :barf:

The Stranger

The Faceless Friend
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
British English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@rooge Yeah, it sucks. It'll probably come out around 6pm for me. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Update... no scam calls all day. I think they learned their lesson. And I'm working on a fake anti-piracy video, featuring a fan game I'm making in MV. If I had the permission to make the game a licensed game that I could sell (rather than having it totally free like fan games are required to be), I'd use a really cool anti-piracy screen...
People2_1 added! ( with alternative hairstyle )

Hey there fellow makers!

just looking for an excuse to post this, really... :kaoslp:

"Hey, John, it's time for October, which means Pumpkin Spice in EVERYTHING!"

"NOOO, please, no more Pumpkin Spice!!"
Found this cool software for organizing my game making work. :LZSrasp: (and it's free!)
https://comigo.itch.io/cosmic-everyday

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giunillo