MZ Survival Options

Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was just starting to get into making my first practise game in MV when MZ came out, so thought I may as well jump into MZ and really like it so far. However, I'm still getting to grips with RPG maker in general, so I'm hoping someone may have some pointers for me regarding putting in survival elements into my game.

Specifically, I'd like to measure hunger and thirst over a day. I think I've come up with a very basic way of doing it. Each map will be my day cycle, and within each of these I'll have a couple of events that check if water of food has been consumed, and if not I'll knock off some HP.
Any thoughts on if the above would work? Also, anyone have any better ways of implementing survival elements in MZ?
Thanks for your time!

Aerosys

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There are many many ways to do this. Depending on complexity you wish etc....

Avoid having events on every Map, and really don't do copy-paste. You can't change your eventing later without copy-pasting every event on every map. Instead, use Common Events.

Hunger and Thirst should be variables, starting from eg. 1000. The common event has a waiting command for eg. 10 secs and then reduces hunger and thirst by 1. If they reach 0, you die.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It wouldn't be too difficult to make, but it requires some basic knowledge on how to use Variables. I'd suggest looking up a Variables tutorial.

Zaha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Great, thanks for the replies and pointers :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I ended up needing to do a chapter 1 map remake. Pesky limited rights on the other images meant I couldn't use them in my randomizer. So I made the map more like the randomized areas instead. Still a WIP, animated version to come later. ;)
Stream will be live shortly! I will be beginning a play-through of Resident Evil 4! Feel free to drop by!

1st iteration on castle interior in Tiled.
I've started up Pillars of Eternity. It's interesting how the game does a "select choice" cutscene using still image art for dramatic flair. I wonder if that might work for my RPGMaker project.
The self-righteous indignation of family when you expect them to pay back money you've leant to them never ceases to amaze me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeAngelis