Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you know Fire Emblem?

busts.png

N_BustDialog was inspired by Fire Emblem.

It allows for up to 4 busts displayed at the same time, assigned to either the left or right side, and the back or front position:

busts_side_position.png

The busts can be moved between positions.

The plugin also automatically manages the way the busts are facing. By default, the busts are facing the center of the screen, but can be flipped to face the edge of the screen instead.

busts_facing.png

For more information, refer to the readme on GitHub: https://github.com/Nolonar/RM_Plugins-BustDialog

Direct download link: https://github.com/Nolonar/RM_Plugins-BustDialog/releases/latest/download/N_BustDialog.js

This plugin is not yet fully feature-complete, so expect a version 1.1.0 at some point.
Planned improvements include:
  • Flashing busts, for example to indicate an actor taking damage.
  • Shaking busts, for example to indicate an actor being surprised.
  • Bust tint, for example to indicate an actor bleeding or being poisoned.
  • Playing animations on busts, for example to indicate an attack being made on an actor.
  • Enter/Exit left/right, to animate an actor entering/leaving the scene. Currently, the bust simply appears or disappears.
  • Removing the bust origin in favor of a bust offset. Currently, the bust origin can be set to bottom (for full-size images) or center (for upper-body-only). This means that if you have a full-size image of a character that's twice as tall as another, that character will only appear to be 50% taller. With bust offset, the origin can be fixed to bottom for all types of images, and the character size will be to scale.
There is no ETA for any of these improvements.

Not planned:
  • Balloons on busts, because the balloons would probably be way too small compared to the busts.
  • Playing sound effects, because there's already an event command for that.

Terms of use
MIT License

In short: you're free to use it on any project (commercial or not) or modify it as you wish, as long as you won't remove the license and the copyright from the plugin.

Last edited:

Tuomo L

Oldbie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have several emotions for my busts, is it possible to highlight the character when they display emotions other than default much like in Fire Emblem?

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I have several emotions for my busts, is it possible to highlight the character when they display emotions other than default much like in Fire Emblem?
Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy as of late.

To change a bust's emotion, the currently supported way to do this, is by removing the current bust and adding the next bust using the same name (remove first, add later, otherwise the next bust will be ignored in order to avoid duplicate names). I intend to improve this workflow in a future version with a possible "Change bust" plugin command.

Unfortunately, highlighting a bust without using the message window is currently not possible without modifying the plugin. If you are not afraid of modifying the plugin yourself, the relevant function is:
Code:
Sprite_Bust.updateTone
Currently, this code determines the active/inactive tint according to whether the bust is talking or not, which is in turn determined by whether the name on the current message window matches the name of the bust.

I'm really sorry that it's taking me so long to release a new version. Between teaching a Pepper robot to recognize drawings, training a neural network to play cards, and turning a tablet into a VR controller, I've been incredibly busy with projects as of late. I'm afraid I won't find much time to work on this project until summer at least.

TrentL111

Archmage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is super cool. My last game had visual novel like segments like this. Once it gets updated with the change bust command, I could definitely see myself using it. Thank you

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Version 1.1.0 has been released:

This release contains a couple of fixes and new features, including the "Replace bust" command.
The features I originally promised to deliver in 1.1.0 will have to wait for 1.2.0, unfortunately.

Full changelog below:

New​

• Add bust by variable.
  • Replace bust.
    • Replace bust by variable.
  • Enable/Disable Auto-highlight.
    • Highlight/Unhighlight busts.
  • "Center" position in addition to "front" and "back".
  • "Neutral" side in addition to "left" and "right". Neutral side has no positions, so setting a position makes no difference.
  • "Neutral" alignment for frontal bust. This plugin does not automatically flip neutrally-aligned busts.

Changed​

• When a message window has no name, busts no longer automatically lose their highlight.

Fixed​

• Busts would not be cleared when starting a new game after using the "Return to Title" event command while busts were displayed.
  • Busts that were hidden behind other busts on the same side and position would not be moved to the foreground when talking.

SonaGate

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
When Neutral Side is chose, this error happens

Error.png

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
When Neutral Side is chose, this error happens

Thanks for the report. That was embarrassing and I should've tested the neutral side before releasing it. I'm really sorry for this error. I just released version 1.1.1, which fixes it. If you encounter any other crashes, I'll make sure to prioritize them.

EDIT:
I forgot to update the version number for version 1.1.1.
If you downloaded the plugin after seeing this post, you have version 1.1.1 even if it says "Version 1.1.0". I've fixed the release to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

SonaGate

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Other bug: pictures from the "Show Picture" command hide the busts
Edit: not all the pictures, is kinda inconsistent

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Other bug: pictures from the "Show Picture" command hide the busts
Edit: not all the pictures, is kinda inconsistent

Thanks for the bug report.

If I understand, you mean the pictures are displayed on top of the busts and you expect the busts to display on top of pictures. In other words: a full-screen picture covers all busts, but you want the busts to cover the picture instead.

Did I understand correctly?

Last edited:

SonaGate

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, exactly

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Yeah, exactly

Thanks for the confirmation. I've released version 1.1.2 with the new behavior (pictures displayed behind busts).

SonaGate

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Works like a charm, thanks!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

RMMV - Skip script errors:

For game developer testing purposes.
You know, I really get to farm likes since I post all of @Avery and @hiddenone 's blog tutorials on the forums...
Back from a very long hiatus with a new project woo
This is my battler placeholder image trying out art styles too I want to fake a backview battle system
I think I will want portraits and battle sprites to be 2D and stick to pixel art for overworld not 100%sure but pretty sure its easier to make pixel art for overworld sprites, events and maps and stuff.
Placeholder.png
$Syringer.png
toying with a brand new monster design
Another doodle! Green-haired girl has no name yet, so, any suggestions?
She is about the same age as Nikki, and she is the last one of her clan, known for their innate skills in manipulating both ice and fire. She is a bit stubborn, as well as having a soft spot for kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member