Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
N_Pixelate disables smoothing to make graphics look pixelated.

Here are two screenshots (scaled up to better show the difference) showing the difference between smooth (no plugin) and pixelated (with plugin):

This plugin also happens to be compatible to MV (tested on MV 1.6.2).

You can get this plugin (and more) on GitHub: https://github.com/Nolonar/RM_Plugins-Pixelate
Just in case you can't find the download link: https://github.com/Nolonar/RM_Plugins-Pixelate/releases/latest/download/N_Pixelate.js

Terms of use
MIT License

In short: you're free to use it on any project (commercial or not) or modify it as you wish, as long as you won't remove the license and the copyright from the plugin.

Dynalt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Seems really cool !
I won't use it in my actual project since I don't use the engine classically but maybe in the next :)
Do you know if it affect the performance in any way? (just curious ^^)

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Seems really cool !
I won't use it in my actual project since I don't use the engine classically but maybe in the next :)
Do you know if it affect the performance in any way? (just curious ^^)
I would need to benchmark it, but my gut feeling says it would improve performance, since there's no more smoothing.

However, modern computers probably have hardware acceleration for smoothing, so the performance benefit would not be very noticeable, unless you're using a very old or very slow computer and playing in fullscreen mode on a very high resolution screen.

If I have time, I'll try and test this on a Raspberry Pi 4, see if there's any measurable difference in FPS.

Nolonar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French, German
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Dynalt
I just wrote a quick & dirty benchmark plugin and ran it with N_Pixelate on and off.
There is indeed an improvement in performance, but it's much more significant than I thought.

I ran the benchmark on 2 computers, both Windows 10. Each test lasted 10 seconds:

The first computer is a high-end gaming PC. There was no measurable difference on this one.

The second computer (this is where it gets interesting) is a laptop that was running in battery saver mode (14-16% battery).
  • CPU: Intel i9-9880H @ 2.3 GHz (8 cores)
  • GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
  • Screen resolution: 3072 x 1920 pixels.
It's still a pretty high end device, but the difference was pretty impressive:
Without plugin (smooth):
benchmark_smooth.png

With plugin (pixelated):
benchmark_pixelate.png

The x-axis (horizontal) represents frame time (how long it took to render a frame).
The y-axis (vertical) represents how often that frame time was achieved.
This means that it's better to have longer bars on the left, than on the right.
As you can see, the N_Pixelate plugin helps achieving better frame times in general.
For example, without plugin, we can't achieve frame times below 18 ms (we never reach 60 FPS).
With plugin, the majority of our frame times lie between 18 and 21 ms (47-55 FPS).
Without plugin, the majority of our frame times are closer to 19-24 ms (41-52 FPS).

I hope this info was helpful.

BrentBAM

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey Nolonar. I noticed some slight improvement in my game as well. Thanks for the plugin. Good to have an option to use the pixel look (it helped my text too).

deadyfinger

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Beautiful plugin!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

rux
The most words I have ever written in an entire document is in my game's script, jeez i have a lot of characters that ramble on
Yes! I finally did something! This is a picture I drew of what I wish I looked like; I hope that you guys like it!
Finished that egg-sitting mini-game I mentioned here a couple weeks back. Now to fix the weather system so it doesn't rain indoors while you're playing it. >.> A simple fix in itself; leave it to me to take it as an excuse to completely revamp the time/weather/lighting system from scratch.
I'm really tempting to pre order cyberpunk 2077... should I do it or not :/ I really want to play the game but don't want to take a big hit to my saving because of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DawnStar