RMMV Naima's Melody - A Zeldalike Action Adventure Game (DEMO!)

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by definite_lee, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Akiyama

Akiyama Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    After running this, now whenever I run my own game I'm working on, I get a profile error (NWJS does not match this profile). Trying to figure out how to solve this on a mac.

2. HintonR

HintonR Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi guys. It's looking really great! I haven't checked out the demo myself, but I've watched a few Let's Plays on youtube and development is looking really great. Along with Drifty's comment with the 'purple' text being hard to read -- I also find that concerning. I would hope for considering changing the color since the font, itself, looks nice.

Another thing about the text and more on text boxes, I find it a little 'unpleasing' to have very little text backed with a full text box. I'm not sure if you guys have yanfly's message core installed, but \auto is really nice when dealing with short messages like for opening chests. You guys could play around with it. It's just something to consider before you guys have done a lot of text events and have to reconfigure them manually. You guys can also play around with Iarva's Pop Up Messages for handling 'new items' -- that way messages from NPCs will still feel uniform if you guys have a lot of dialogue while short messages like receiving items can be handled with a 'toaster' effect maybe in the bottom left or right.

Anyway, the congrats on your first milestone and continue onwards!

bazrat and definite_lee like this.
  3. definite_lee

definite_lee Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the comments and feedback HintonR! We actually addressed both of those issues in the newly released public pre-alpha demo. The build that drifty and others did let's plays for is older. The purple text is changed and the message windows are now shorter. Please let us know anymore feedback if you ever get the chance to play :)

bazrat and HintonR like this.
  4. Kvothe

Kvothe The Bloodness Veteran

First Language:
    Brazil
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    First of all: Congratulation for the game, it's hard for the overall "rpg maker world" receive game like this nowdays.
    Now, I'll let a little feedback, I only have played until the boss fight (spider). I'll play again in future, so may I'll delivery another feedback.

* Keyboard Experience : I don't have a gamepad to test out with, so I have to play with my keyboard.
    I have take note that the UX while using this mode, isn't that good. Mostly, because of the choice of keys.
    For instance, on title screen, the only way to access and get out of the options is using: mouse, enter, esc.
    It would be interesting to have more options, as for example, the old 'Z/Space bar/X'.

* UX - Keyboard on Gameplay : The actions keys is 'Q, W, E, R'. It would be interesting if the movement, was with
    'WASD'. However, isn't. Then, in my opinion, it should be okay if it's 'Z,Space Bar and X, Ctrl', because of the position
    of the hand. While one is on the arrow keys to move on, the other is on this keys to action. I say it, because almost
    all game that I have played use this way. But the best thing that you can do, it's to seek the feedback by creating some
    polls.
    Of course, I understand that the choice of keys it's because of the gamepad. However, it's pretty simple to create some
    conditions. That if isn't connected to gamepad, change the keys.
    To end up this topic, here the keys that in my opinion, it should give a better UX in keyboard:

- Arrow Keys to move
    - Double Arrow Keys to roll out
    - Spacebar to interact
    - Q to attack
    - E to defend
    - Ctrl to use bow/second weappon
    - Z to magic
    - Shift to access the menu
    - X to get out of the horse and get out options, like menu and so on

* Save Screen: It would be nice that after I choose the file slot and save it, get out of the screen (after 'new game').

* HUD : They fit with the overall skin of the game. The only thing I would say is: When the user is in the range of the HUD, it
    should become transparent.
    For instance, http://prntscr.com/p8bccb
    Sure, the player is visible but at night, it's hard to see.

* Horse : I love this! The idea is amazing. Nice animations xD. It would be interesting as well the option to call over the horse

* Boss Fight : GORGEOUS! It was so funny!! Congratulations xD

* Overall System : I know that you guys will feature more in future, then I'll let to give a better feedback about this system after. However, I
    only want to congratulate you guys for this system, pretty funny xD

* Map Bugs :
    http://prntscr.com/p8be27

* FPS Overall :
    - Title Screen | 24~34
    - Map | 39-47
    - Transition Between Maps | 8~24

This game reminds me of the old 'Goof troop', may you guys should take a look, there are a lot of interesting puzzle and mechanics on that game.

5. definite_lee

First Language:
    English

Thanks alot for your feedback! We definitely will provide a better control scheme for keyboard users in the future. The transparent HUD idea is something we'll be looking into as well. Thank you :)

Kvothe and bazrat like this.
  6. NinjaKittyProductions

NinjaKittyProductions Professional Murder Hobos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This game looks absolutely fantastic!
    By the way, how long did it take for you all to design the battle system and is it a custom system?

bazrat likes this.
  7. definite_lee

First Language:
    English
    Thank you :)

Yes, it's custom. We use two core plugins to get the base of the system to work, but everything else is done through a lot of eventing wizardry by @bazrat

It took me about a month to develop the first prototype. But we have refined it together for at least 6 months.

CrasheR, DerKIAS and bazrat like this.
  8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @definite_lee Our Forum Rules explicitly state that you may not advertise Kickstarter or any other crowdfunding scheme on this site. I have, therefore removed your posts where you have done this, and will be editing your topic title.

9. definite_lee

First Language:
    English
    Check out our new trailer for Naima's Melody! (released with Kes permission)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    Kvothe, bazrat and DerKIAS like this.
  10. AnimaScorpius

AnimaScorpius Modern Mage/WorldCrafter Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This turned out very well for a pre-alpha demo guys, good work. I thought it was going to be clunky like others who attempted ABS before, I was surprised at how well I could roll out of the way and roll back into an attack when zinging around enemies. Keep up the good work :)

I only tested it out a bit, but when I have free time I will for sure make it to the boss. :)

11. definite_lee

First Language:
    English
    Thanks AnimaScorpius! We still have much to improve :)

AnimaScorpius and bazrat like this.
  12. isoovak

isoovak Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    How long is the game development til release?

bazrat likes this.
  13. AnimaScorpius

AnimaScorpius Modern Mage/WorldCrafter Veteran

First Language:
    English, French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @definite_lee how big will the open world be? and can we fight the dungeons in any order?

bazrat likes this.
  14. definite_lee

First Language:
    English
    We're estimating a tentative release of December 2020, if things go well with raising funds.

Approximately 100-120 maps are planned in the overworld. The main dungeons related to the story will be sequential, but there will be dozens of mini-dungeons that can be discovered in the world and completed freely.

Kvothe, DerKIAS, dsiver144 and 2 others like this.
  15. bazrat

bazrat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for all your support!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    definite_lee and Kvothe like this.
  16. cradth

cradth :) Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Your game looks pretty fun! It's simple yet so beautiful. I'll give it a try. Best wishes for your game project.

17. Eric_SD-RPG-Studio

Eric_SD-RPG-Studio Writer - Developer Veteran

First Language:
    Vietnamese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I was addicted to Zelda games during childhood. Can never get enough of Zelda actions. Can never forget the joy of slashing a bush and discover a new secret. The game looks crazy good so far in the presentation. Hopefully you can find time to finish it. :thumbsup-right:

definite_lee and bazrat like this.
  18. CrasheR

CrasheR Joined: 2012 Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I Iove your game. That demo is amazing! Keep up the good work. I'll buy it for sure!

bazrat likes this.
  19. bazrat

bazrat Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you everyone who joined us in the live dev stream, really appreciate the support!

(Starts 10min into the video) xD

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    Kvothe likes this.
  20. Kvothe

Kvothe The Bloodness Veteran

First Language:
    Brazil
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh gosh, I have lost this live (I was running, lol xD). I'll by sure to watch closer it to follow up the next live xD