Name my game!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ryzler, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Ryzler

Ryzler Princess in Distress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    NOTE: If this is not the right section to post this in, then please direct me to the correct thread and I shall post this in there instead. Thank you.

So, I have been making a game for over a year now. And I lost it. Files were corrupted. My backup was very far behind. Only about two months of work. So I lost about ten months.

Anyway. since I am rebuilding my project, I have decided to upload a demo and get some community feedback on my game. While the game was intended to be primarily played by my wife and myself, I now am much more open to others playing it. Hence why I posted a thread in "project development". However, I since come to the thought that the name of my game is bad. I like it. It describes the world I have envisioned. It is called "Everland" and he even once the main game is complete I intend to keep adding new areas and enemies and equipment for a world that goes on forever. I know it's a bad name, but I like it.

So! Without any further ado... People of the RPG Maker community, hit me with your imaginative and colourful names!

For further information, the game is here: 

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Actually, do you need a name right now?  Why not treat it as a working title, and as your game evolves it may well be that the name emerges out of the story itself.  On all my games so far I've started that way - working title, then one or more revisions as I go along until I have something that I think reflects what the game is about.

Karlski, Ryzler, Marsigne and 2 others like this.
  3. BrandedTales

BrandedTales StoryTeller Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Just reading the details of the game, I think Everland is a fine name for it.  It implies the game is more about the world than a specific plot, and "Ever" implies large or expansion, which also seems to be what you are going for.

I say go with it until something jumps out that feels "more right."

Ryzler and Marsigne like this.
  4. Lihinel

Lihinel Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    "The game that was named by that guy who at first didn't know what to name it but then had a really clever idea - Reloaded"

Ryzler likes this.
  5. ShadowHawkDragon

ShadowHawkDragon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree with @Kes on sticking to a 'working/temporary name' for the time being.

Titles are usually the sum or your story/lore/mechanics/world all brought into one small phrase. Often they use the single most core aspects of the game/story to come up with the title.

For example the game 'Resonance of Fate' earns its title from the 'resonance' mechanic in battle and the overall concept of fate used in the game (peoples lives and therefore fates are literally controlled by a machine using crystals which signal a person's life span).

I'm currently using the title of 'Overlord Overload' because the story is about a Demon Overlord and the game will be overloaded with craziness (yes, it started as a play on words).

So to point, a title typically comes once you know what the game/story/world is and what it encompasses. But to be honest if the title already describes the world as you envision it and you personally like the title, I see nothing wrong with just sticking to it, it is your game after all.

Ryzler likes this.
  6. Ryzler

Ryzler Princess in Distress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks guys for the responses.

I do like the name Everland and think that I shall stick with it for the time being. At least until something else comes to mind that I prefer, if something does. I shall consider it a working title xxx