Name your Price for This Game!

Watch the trailer... How much would you pay for this game?

• $0.99 - (R$2.19)

• $1.99 - (R$4.29)

• $2.99 - (R$6.29)

• $3.99 - (R$8.39)

• Other (Please Comment)

Results are only viewable after voting.

CleanWater

Independent Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
Other
Watch the trailer and vote the price you would pay for this game!

Note:
It's not in English, so if you don't speak Brazilian Portuguese, name the price based on the appealing of the game for you. I included both USD and BRL prices (Steam Standard) in the Poll.

My goal with this thread
I want to know better the expectations each customer has for games and their personal point of view for the game pricing.

Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
Just so you know, you are asking the community to rate a game on a 110 sec. Trailer with little info... If anyone is going to be paying for this I would call them crazy. Everything looks cheap in the trailer and if i may say so even the trailer itself looks bad. I dont know what went wrong for you but this isnt worth money to me of this is the best you have to show.

Presentation Presentation Presentation

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I saw asking the community to vote on pricing is a bad idea, as I think you'll get a high percentage that say free, as it sometimes feels like everyone wants every game for free. Set it to what you think it is worth, and go from there.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep. Look at other games of a similar length and quality, and base your price on that. Also consider whether those other games are by known developers who already have a following, as they might get away with asking more for that reason.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't know if you're up for some real feeback and criticism, if not, stop reading here and feel free to ignore me ;)

The sound quality of your voiceover is bad and doesn't do your trailer a favor.
I'd remove it. Stick to text if you don't have a quality mic and recording possibility. It lowers the quality of your trailer a LOT.

And since the trailer all in all only contains content that is pretty basic RPGmaker-ish gameplay maybe only screenshots would do, since there's nothing tooo exciting happening movementwise. What I'm trying to say... there's nothing shown that would need a video for the player to understand or does absolutly capture the viewers attention. The only thing this trailer is good for is giving an idea of the music quality of the game.

High quality screenshots might be better than a low quality trailer.
I don't know about the length of your game, but I think I wouldn't go to high with the pricing.
People will expect an awesome game the higher the price gets... And I dunno if you're doing yourself a favor with that final fantasy reference in the title :p

Last edited:

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
Personally I would never add "name your price" to any product unless you have a following and are a known developer, otherwise literally expect people to pay the absolute lowest amount possible.

I'd pay $9.99

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I don't know if you're up for some real feeback and critismn, if not, stop reading here and feel free to ignore me
I'm not the original poster nor have I watched the trailer, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting such genuine, helpful criticism. I know the "tough love" kind of criticism that some people use can be helpful sometimes, but this kind of feedback is what a lot of us here need to learn and grow--I only wish more people around here did this.

I saw asking the community to vote on pricing is a bad idea, as I think you'll get a high percentage that say free, as it sometimes feels like everyone wants every game for free. Set it to what you think it is worth, and go from there.
I think this is the most solid advice you'll get here price-wise. You can always set the price a little higher and have sales, and it's probably better to start high and lower the price over time than to start low to begin with.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
@jkweath Thanks. I think getting some insight into workflows of others, feedback and especially criticism that's phrased in a way that it's not hurting but actually helping is very important. Saying "this sucks" is bad and stupid, it's way more important to find some words that discribe why something might be lacking in your opinion. I always wanted to do a "let me criticism your stuff" kinda thing to help people a little bit, but I don't have the time to play through games and demos and such. D:
Sorry for being off-topic here.

One more thing for the OP.
Please don't get discouraged by my words. It's easy to see that you've put a lot of work into it, push a little further and make some great screenshots and maybe a new, short trailer, showing one important (not spoilery) scene or one scene that you yourself are very proud of with the music on it instead of a mediocore trailer that might turn down potential buyers. Trailers can hurt your game(sells) if they aren't great. It even happens to big projects.
Most of this is just my opinion through. Not saying that I know everything XP

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Erm, well, technically, the game HAS to be free considering it's a fan game, I believe. 'Cause if it's commercial, it's more likely to get taken down, if memory serves.
Also, I agree with all that's been said here. The voiceovers are kind of unnecessary and the game play is nothing more than stuff you'd find in any RTP game. There's nothing that really looks extremely appealing since it's just... game play. I'd suggest some smooth transitions, a little more on what the game's about, and some fancy looking text instead of you speaking into a cheap microphone and listing game features for 110 seconds. If you don't know how to make videos look more appealing, I'd suggest talking to a graphical artist who is capable of doing graphics for videos.

Matseb2611

Innovate, don't emulate
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, it's hard to make up my mind just from the trailer alone. I'd need to know more about the game - the general gameplay features, length, plot summary, etc. I also agree that the voiceover in the trailer is a bit of a low quality and actually kind of ruins it. And yeah, gotta be careful with that title. It's way too similar to Final Fantasy and runs the risk of being sued.

Lihinel

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Based on the trailer?
Not trying to be mean here, but if you'd want me to play that, you'd have to pay me.

Again, just based on the trailer. If you want to win people over, you have to go the extra steps, this includes making a trailer that actually includes the strong points of your game. (As opposed to some generic gameplay scenes)

Last edited:

jkweath

Goes Fast
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think it's worth noting that, trailer-wise, you'll have a hard time impressing anyone on these boards especially. Anyone around here can tell exactly what Maker you're using, whether the graphics are RTP or original, the plug-ins you're using (especially anything from Yanfly), etc. Unless you use your own graphics or showcase unique mechanics, you'll have a hard time.

@CleanWater You might remember my older thread about game trailers. My first game trailer wasn't that great, so I enlisted the help of a friend who's good at giving constructive feedback. I ended up completely remaking my trailer twice before my friend approved of it, then my wife showed it to a group of her friends (who'd never met me so they wouldn't have biased opinions) and almost all of her friends, even the ones who weren't big RPG fans, liked the trailer and some even wanted more info on the game itself.

But I didn't bother posting the updated trailer here because I knew it wasn't going to impress anyone even if it was a big step up from the original. Once you update your trailer (assuming you do), I'd recommend getting opinions from other sources, like friends or friends of friends, alongside here.

Plueschkatze

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
N/A
Always be careful with feedback from family and friends unless you know, that they'll be honest if you ask them to...

yajirobi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I said 2.99. maybe the gameplay is fun but it looks like an asset flip.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
that was an awkward attempt at sounding like a Globo narrator lol, the Sessão da Tarde reference is amusing. But... I'm not sure it adds any value?
A game that does lighthearted comedy and RTP aesthetics really well is Helen's Mysterious Castle. Maybe you should look into that.

Wavelength

Pre-Merge Boot
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Given that there's nothing strikingly original shown, it's tricky to tell how much the game is "worth" paying for because a lot of it just comes down to its content and execution. There may be a lot of fun content, well-designed battles/dungeons/skill systems, and a great story - and then it's worth a lot. There may be none of those things - and then it's worth nothing. Show those things off as best you can in your trailers.

When you have hugely creative mechanics, gorgeous graphics, or weird/novel settings and characters, or something else very unique that you can show off, it's easier to ascribe an amount of "worth" to a game based on your first impression of it.

My own gut reaction as a consumer, based on the trailer, is that I wouldn't pay for this game based on what I saw. That is NOT to say that your game is not worth any money; it is also NOT to say that no one would pay for this. But, respectfully, I didn't see anything that convinced me it's worth spending my time on over some of the very good free games that exist, much less to pay money for on top of my time.

There's also the issue that not only is your game called "Final Fantasy Definitive Remake", but you also seem to be copying a fair number of graphics and/or motifs from Final Fantasy. If that's the case, I believe you are subjecting yourself to serious legal action from Square Enix if you decide to sell your game and it manages to earn any significant sales figures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Look, I get that it's illegal, but...
It just happen we got P7 as booth number, so i draw Girls Frontline's P7 in this
Stream will be live shortly! Going to start with some Minecraft spriting, and might switch mid-stream. Depends~ Feel free to drop by!
MushroomCake28 wrote on Finnuval's profile.
Glad to see you're back! I was wondering what you've become! It's been a while since we spoke to each other!
zachb wrote on Human_Male's profile.
I know this was months ago, but I don't completely understand the lunatic states program (how you set it up). I just want to apply a stone state (and death) to a character after x amount of time. Can you show me an example of how to set it up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lysenthe