- Apr 24, 2021
- Reaction score
- First Language
- Primarily Uses
Another plugin spawned from the needs of my own game in progress. This plugin enables customising the NameInput scene (hide/show face image, border, background, hint text). As well it can enable simple keyboard typing support. You can have the data the player enters be used to rename the player (as normal), change the player's nickname, change the player's pronouns, or save it to a variable! If you choose to use the pronoun functionality, all the complexities of the pronouns are handled by the plugin including extra text codes to make sentence construction simpler. Pronouns are stored per-actor to make things easy to manage. If you're letting the player rename the whole party, why not let them change their pronouns too? Or maybe like Shovel Knight you have fixed characters but want a feature to swap their pronouns for fun. Or perhaps you just want your game to have the option to trans your gender like Stardew Valley.
How to Use
Add the .js file to your project's js/plugin folder, then open up the plugin manager in the editor and add the plugin.
There's general help to the side and specific settings help if you double-click on them. It's recommended to setup some default pronouns for your actors if you plan to use the pronoun handling.
You can call these new functions by using the Plugin Commands in an event. You can download an example project at the bottom of this post to see it in action, and open the example project to see how you might use it in your own projects.
CAUTION: If you already use a plugin that adds keyboard support to the default Change Name scene (such as VisuMZ_0_CoreEngine) then set "Add Keyboard Support" to false in the plugin settings to disable the basic keyboard support of this plugin, or else keyboard support won't work!
Any of these that take an actor will accept "None" - they'll interpret it as the party leader.
- Change Input Scene Settings - changes the appearance of any following NameInput scenes. You can choose to show or hide the actor face, button help window, window background, window border, and set whether to allow a blank entry to be submitted.
- Change Input Scene Hint - sets a message to show on the InputName screen, or leave blank for none.
- Show (Name/Nickname/Variable) Entry - shows the relevant input screen.
- Set Actor's Pronouns - Directly lets you the developer set an actor's entire pronoun set. No player input.
- Show Pronoun Entry - Repeatedly shows the NameInput screen to let the player enter the majority of an actor's pronouns. The ones that are booleans will still need to be set. See the example project for more details.
- Show Single Pronoun Entry - show the entry screen for a particular type of pronoun only.
- Set (Name/Nickname/Pronoun/Variable) Character Limit - adjusts the maximum amount of characters for the various input types.
Enter any of these in a message box to have them replaced with actor x's relevant pronoun etc. If x is 0, uses the party leader. If you use lowercase (eg \sub) then the replacement text will be lowercase. You can also use Proper Case (eg \Sub) or UPPER CASE (eg \SUB) to have the text use the same case!
- \sub[x] - Inserts actor x's subjective pronoun.
- \obj[x] - Inserts actor x's objective pronoun.
- \pod[x] - Inserts actor x's dependent possessive pronoun.
- \poi[x] - Inserts actor x's independent possessive pronoun.
- \rfx[x] - Inserts actor x's reflexive pronoun.
- \isa[x] - Inserts is or are depending on the actor's setting.
- \was[x] - Inserts was or were depending on the actor's setting.
- \s?[x] - Inserts a single s if actor x has plural verb form on, nothing otherwise.
Since English is a complicated mess, sometimes you need to check if an actor needs plural verb forms yourself. To do this in a Conditional Branch choose Script and copy-paste this line of code:
Make sure you change x to an actor id, or use 0 for the party leader.
If you don't know what text codes translate to what, see the example project for a demonstration.
You can view the license here.
In short, it is free for commercial or non-commercial use. Credit is optional. Don't claim it as your own work.
You can download the example project here (includes example usage of all the plugin functions).
You can download just the plugin here.