Kind of curious what your preferences for stats are...

• By Usage (Attack, Magic, Speed)

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • DnD Style / Trait (Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity)

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Also curious behind your reasoning!

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it would be hard, as some games uses a mixed.

but it also depends on your game as well, so I choose option C.

Ahuramazda

The Last Elementalist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Vote for C, I am mixed as well :D

Strength, Intellect, Defense, Spirit, Speed, Luck, Hit Points, Magic Power

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also C - mixed

Aoi Ninami

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I strongly dislike the way D&D couples "intelligence" or "wisdom" with magic power. I can see the thought behind it, but it's too restrictive. It's also very silly for computer RPGs, where you can expect to gain dozens of levels during a playthrough, but characters don't change all that much from the beginning to the end.

On the other hand, it's difficult to find really good names for stats. I keep changing my mind on the names I want to use for some of them, especially magic defence, because nothing feels really exactly right.

MarxMayhem

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I vote C. As long as the name conveys what i's supposed to do, terminology can take a step back.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
N/A
A - I like it as straightforward as possible.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Straightforward and easy to understand at a first glance, without me needing to make guesses as to what stuff might be used for. I'm not all that familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, when I see Dexterity, I don't associate that with Speed/Agility. I would think maybe a chance to perform a critical hit or something? In which case I would rather it be renamed to Crit. Rate (in which case, please be displayed in percentages, because using flat numbers without context is absolutely useless for chance based stuff).

RianQuenlin

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A

Last edited:

Shikamon

The Fateless One
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Depend on what kind game you gonna make, I mean a combat-focused RPG prefer straightforward stats to make you more understand what your character can do in battle. DnD expecting player to focus on roleplaying so combat is become something additional probably.

Solr

Living Weapon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I strongly dislike the way D&D couples "intelligence" or "wisdom" with magic power. I can see the thought behind it, but it's too restrictive. It's also very silly for computer RPGs, where you can expect to gain dozens of levels during a playthrough, but characters don't change all that much from the beginning to the end.

On the other hand, it's difficult to find really good names for stats. I keep changing my mind on the names I want to use for some of them, especially magic defence, because nothing feels really exactly right.
I also dislike how D&D and many western RPGs in general equate your wisdom/intelligence with magic power. If you're a good logician/critical thinker or you have a lot of experiences/understand people/systems very well on many different levels, you gain the power to shoot fireballs from your hand? My projects always have a dedicated "Magic/Magic Affinity" stat, alongside ones for Intelligence, and Mind.

Basically all damage/healing formulas for magic levy the Magic Affinity stat, so a character can be as dumb as brick but still be an effective magician by having a high affinity stat. Mind is also usually applied as a damage/healing bonus.

Mind (sometimes the stat is named "Focus") also gives a damage bonus to martial arts skills (makes sense when you're doing things like sending your aura through the air/inflicting shockwave punches).

Intelligence stat never really plays a combat role for me (unless I want to explore 'Illusions" or skills rooted in psychic powers).

A character/enemy's "Magic Defense" is defined in the damage formula as half of their Magic Affinity + quarter Mind + quarter Resilience (Physical Defense) or sometimes each of the aforementioned stats makes up a third of Magic Defense. I think my approach is fairly realistic.

RCXGaming

Champion of Brightmoon Tor
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I also dislike how D&D and many western RPGs in general equate your wisdom/intelligence with magic power. If you're a good logician/critical thinker or you have a lot of experiences/understand people/systems very well on many different levels, you gain the power to shoot fireballs from your hand?

Adding onto the pile for this. It's never made any logical sense to me and I've always kept magical power separate from intelligence for this reason. That, and I've always been fond of brawny idiot mages that use magic systems not because they're all that smart but because casting spells is muscle memory to them.

Anyway, my stats:
  • Health
  • Ether Points (EP)
  • --
  • Strength
  • Defense
  • --
  • Spirit
  • Resistance
  • --
  • Speed
  • Luck
Spirit of all things is magic attack because the entire magic system is based around using elemental attacks formed out of your soul. Ether is quite literally soul power.

They're split up like this because Strength & Defense are used for physical attack calculation and vice versa for Spirit & Res. with magic attacks.

Each stat has their own colored gem, and I even have a puzzle in mind where you extract your own HP into a gemstone to power a thing.

Solr

Living Weapon
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Adding onto the pile for this. It's never made any logical sense to me and I've always kept magical power separate from intelligence for this reason. That, and I've always been fond of brawny idiot mages that use magic systems not because they're all that smart but because casting spells is muscle memory to them.
Lol same here. I don't see it very much in media, but I like the idea of stupid characters still being powerful magic users.

Your HP gemstone puzzle sounds really cool. A great way to put some extra challenge on the player by making them fight enemies with reduced HP as they solve a puzzle. Only question is, does it take current HP, or MaxHP?
sRHwl17.png

Last edited:

KoldBlood

Innovation from Limitation
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm gonna also go with option C, it really does depend on the game you're making and what stats are even required for it.

For my game I've gone with these:

Core:

HP:
Health Points. Helps you survive longer and take bigger hits.
SP: Stamina Points. Used for martial skills. Max 100, never increases.
MP: Mana Points. Used for magical spells. Max 100, never increases.

Attack/Defense:

Strength | Defense: Used in physical attack calculations.
Magic | Resist: Used in magical attack calculations.
Potency | Endure: Used in status attack/dot/duration calculations.

The reason I went with this setup was I wanted a way for damage-over-
time status ailments to be truly viable in certain situations and so this system was born. I chose the name "Potency" because it just made sense for an ailment stat (and it fit on screen nicely LOL) and "Endure" since you have to... "Endure" ailments (idk, ok maybe that one is a bit of a stretch).

Anyway, It works out so that if you have higher Potency poisons and bleeds do more damage and debilitating states like silence and paralysis (my physical version of silence) last longer. The Endure stat allows you or enemies to spec to defend against ailments as well.

The other stats are pretty self explanatory standard RPG stuff I'd hope you people would be familiar with by now. LOL

Kyleman

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it depends on what the game is going for. Gameplay-focused, fast-paced title would benefit from naming the stats by their usage, while a game that's focused more on immersion and integrating every piece of it's presentation into the game world should probably use the DnD naming style.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I go with C as well. I definitely tend to lean towards A though. Simple and clean.

Though I have a list of different names for different stats that can be interchangeable.

ATK / Attack / Strength / Might / Power
DEF / Defense / Endurance / Armor / Shield
MAT / Magic / Intelligence / Arcane / Mind
MDF / Resist / Resolve / Control / Willpower
AGI / Speed / Agility / Quickness / Initiative
LCK / Luck / Dexterity / Weight / Skill

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I also dislike how D&D and many western RPGs in general equate your wisdom/intelligence with magic power. If you're a good logician/critical thinker or you have a lot of experiences/understand people/systems very well on many different levels, you gain the power to shoot fireballs from your hand?
I don't know if you're intentionally misconstruing for effect, but the answer to your question is no - that is, in fact, not how D&D works.

All spellcasting abilities come from the class you're choosing to take levels in, which is nearly identical to how skills are set up in RPG Maker :wink:

Your relevant ability scores modify how good you are at it, which is true for everything in the game - your Strength and Dexterity affect how good you are at hitting or aiming at things, etc.

Basically all damage/healing formulas for magic levy the Magic Affinity stat, so a character can be as dumb as brick but still be an effective magician by having a high affinity stat.
I don't see it very much in media, but I like the idea of stupid characters still being powerful magic users.
And in D&D there are classes that can work with whatever stat you want to have an affinity for. Clerics work off of Wisdom, Wizards off of Intelligence, Sorcerers off of Charisma, and there are tons of others if you get into various sourcebooks.

It's fine for you to not care for the system, no one's trying to make you use it in your game, but there's no reason to misrepresent it as being somehow ridiculously illogical :stickytongue:

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

DamageActor3_7.png added!
index.php

Making a "characters first appearance" drawing for my game. Now I just have to finish the sprite art animation for her grand entrance.​
ScreenShot_9_24_2022_7_56_24.png
New area being started today. It leads to one of the games 2 optional bosses.
A secret desire of mine: I want to make a horror game based on Celtic mythology. I've seen plenty of Greek, Japanese and Norse mythology-based horror games, but I don't think I've ever seen a Celtic-based horror game anywhere...
FF Opera Omnia is in quite a bizarre state right now. As soon as the tutorial is completed, the game levels all characters to level 70 and makes all new characters start at level 70.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasingtheGale