NaNoWriMo 2018

Discussion in 'Art, Literature, and Music' started by Parallax Panda, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Canini

Canini Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Nu Lord Byleif
    Tänk på ditt öde
    God är din spådom
    Lysande andar
    Jag min väg vandrar
    På en sjö av ära
    Högt skall vi kvada
    När vi når ön Beluga

And yes mods I know english is somewhat enforced on this forum so that everybody can join the discussion, so here ist he english version:

Now Lord Byleif
    The fates decided
    Good is thy council
    Oh shivering spirits
    I wander the road
    Of the golden hoard
    Loud shall we sing
    When we reach Beluga

It is not a completely straight translation, though! In universe the swedish version is the original and the english version a later translation (in reality, I am writing both obviously). The meter I use for this poem is a real meter called Starkaðarlag. I will probably post the full poem on this forum sometime in the future.

2. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Everyone cross your fingers for me... I still am deep into the human fight of the bed bug fight.

Canini and Marsigne like this.
  3. CodeHunterEx

CodeHunterEx Hunter of the Perfect Code Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I wrote a novel (sci-fi/adventure) some years back. I have also done some poetry. One of these days I may try a sequal to the novel.

Canini and Marsigne like this.
  4. CodeHunterEx

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If anyone is interested message me and I can share them. The novel is science fiction with adventure and some romance and I even tossed in some of my poetry for fun. It is called "Adventures in Time". Thank you for the likes Canni and Marsigne.

Marquise* and Marsigne like this.
  5. Marsigne

Marsigne Sephiroth Veteran

First Language:
    Other
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    No problem! There's an issue though, and it's that I can't message you. I don't get the option to send you a private message.

6. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    How’s everyone feeling? We’re almost in November and NaNoWriMo is about to begin!

Personally, I’ve been thinking a lot about it and I’m almost certain I won’t participate this year after all. :kaosigh:
    Turns out my life this November will be stressful enough without NaNoWriMo and I’ve a hard time justifying adding to it. Especially when I’ll likely not have time to write enough anyway. Other things will have to take priority.

Sorry for bringing the mood down, :kaocry:

Marquise* likes this.
  7. megumi014

megumi014 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I started panicking yesterday :D

I have no roadmap except for the beginning of the story and I keep going back and forth from a novel structure to a game structure (I just can't decide what to do with it lol), aaand I don't like how one of the main characters came out but he is quite crucial to the plot and I don't know how to change him T__T

I think I will still give it a try this year, if anything writing 20k words will be better than not writing any at all :kaoswt2: and I can always get ideas while writing. Freestyle \o/

Aw that is sad to hear v_V but rl always takes precedence, I hope you can try again next year! :) (or join later if the workload decreases ^^U)

Marquise* likes this.
  8. CodeHunterEx

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Can you use a novel you already wrote, or does it have to be written from scratch? If I can use my novel, it would be interesting.

9. megumi014

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think the goal of NaNoWriMo is to push you into writing your first draft, in which you don't have to care too much about the presentation or even the writing style, since you will have to edit the draft after the Nano either way. I guess working on a novel that you have already writen would be part of that after-nano process (imo), but if the challenge pushes you into shaping it or expanding it further give it a go :D any reason to write is a good one.

10. ABandit

ABandit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    This year I'll join as a rebel; instead of writing, I need to face my fears and finally edit some scripts :kaoswt:

11. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    I will try to discipline myself to do 50/50 while not officially masking competition. Like dedicate the month for Movember, researching for RPGM knowhows and inspiration and train myself to finish a novel. ^^ (I know bed bug fight and kitty care are also on the menu!)

12. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Just wanted to say good luck to all writers out there! November has begun and so have hopefully you of you plan to participate. :kaohi:

Marquise* likes this.
  13. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Lots of IRL fights on hand right now but I WILL open that NNWM file and try to write fiction a wee bit more and grow a mustache (movember too XD Half of the population needs a wee bit more love and support.)

Parallax Panda and megumi014 like this.
  14. megumi014

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I couldn't write on day one so I'm also behind the schedule \o/ but the only year I tried to participate I wrote 0 words, so I will take almost 3k words as a victory already :')

Parallax Panda and Marquise* like this.
  15. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    @megumi014
    First time I participated (last year) I ended up with less than 3000 words I think! But I erased two stories that I started on during that month so the written word total was probably above.

I’m sure you’ll break 3k though! If you don’t do what I did and erase your progress mid November writing 10k (1/5 of the target 50k) probably shouldn’t be that hard.

megumi014 likes this.
  16. megumi014

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ouch, that sounded painful.

I can't remember where I read it but I saw a post once with tips for NaNo and the only one I remember is the golden rule of "never erase anything", and it's harder than I thought lol I do erase sentences while I'm writing but once the day has passed I try to not touch anything from what I wrote... must... not... erase...

If anyone needs the extra motivation I read this post a couple days ago and it helped xD

Parallax Panda likes this.
  17. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I have to be honest, I prefer to write at my own pace. I generally only go to NaNoWriMo for writing advice. That being said, it's nice to see there are still plenty of writers out there, so maybe books aren't dead.

18. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    We’re about 1/3 through November and I hope you all are having fun if you decided to participate. While I’m not writing this year, it’s around this time of the month that I’d start to worry if I could really finish (since I’d probably be behind schedule). If you’re having those same thoughts, don’t worry. Still plenty of time!

Marquise* likes this.
  19. Marquise*

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    Got one fear task done. Got to calm myself then... ^^

Parallax Panda likes this.
  20. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    rip me doing NaNoWriMo
    I wanted to do it, but I just had a load of crap happen in November, I haven't had the energy :kaocry:

Marquise* likes this.