National Cultural Divergence in Indie Game Development Survey (Help me complete my university project!)

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi! I'm currently doing a research project for my Business Administration degree here at university, and I've chosen to study cultural divergence among independent game developers; what this means is, I want to know how game developers - preferably one-person teams, as if often the case here with RPG Maker - are informed by their national culture, and if there's a correlation between them and others from the same culture, or if they correlate more with those of other cultures instead. Or indeed, as the term 'cultural divergence' suggests, if a distinct culture divorced from nationality has formed.

Honestly, the reason I had this idea was from using this forum and learning of the diversity in cultures and viewpoints - I'm genuinely interested to find out more about, say, perspectives on commercial game development from nations outside the Anglo-American sphere.

So what I'm doing is, I'm running a short survey - should only take 5-15 minutes at the most - in which you'll be asked for your stances on what you prefer to see in games you play, what you believe should be considered important when developing commercial games, and if these two things conflict - and then how you perceive your national culture (that is, the national culture of the country you reside in) would answer the same questions, plus how you perceive the basic makeup of the average game player in your country. I will also ask more generally how you'd class yourself on a number of linear scales and how that compares to your national culture.

I will be asking what country you reside in, along with your age and gender, but all responses will be kept strictly anonymous - nor will I use any information from outside the survey itself for my project, since forum posts could be traced through search engines. You can withdraw your answers from the project by sending me a private message if you wish, but note that in order to do this I will have to ask what your answers were so I don't remove the wrong set - for this reason, I recommend considering this before submitting.

While I encourage answers from commercial game devs (or aspiring commercial game devs) who operate outside the Anglo-American world, I accept answers from anyone - the more perspectives I have, the better!

Link to the survey is at the bottom of this post. Thanks for showing some interest, and I look forward to hearing what perspectives you have to offer!

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry, I forgot to mention! There is one restriction on respondents - I'm not accepting responses from anyone under 18. This is chiefly because anyone under 18 cannot be guaranteed to be providing informed consent to have their answers shared for the purposes of the project. This is why the part which asks for age doesn't go any lower than 18.

wintersrain

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just filled it out!

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Much appreciated! Keep 'em coming. :)

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hate to bump, but I haven't gotten any new responses since Monday, so I need some more. Let me know if I'm being a bit too pushy.

Punamaagi

Hero on their own terms
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just filled out the survey. The idea sounded intriguing, so hopefully you'll get enough responses for your research project.

One point of criticism I have is that some terms could have been explained better, especially if you want responses from non-native English speakers. For instance, the question about individualism vs. non-individualism was a bit unclear to me: was it supposed to mean something along the lines of individual-oriented vs. community-oriented? I've never seen 'non-individualism' used as a term elsewhere, so I ended up doing some Googling.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Punamaagi Thanks! That's what I was going for, yeah, but I wasn't sure what the correct term was (I was considering something like 'collectivism' but that didn't feel right), so I thought just using 'the opposite of individualism' was a safe bet. I might tweak that around a bit; this is my first time running a survey, so I'm taking this all as a learning experience.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Update on that: I changed it from 'non-individualist' to 'conformist' since that's what the closest to the spirit of the phrase I intended. I hope that's a bit clearer, but let me know if it's not. : )

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I took 'non-individualistic' as collective.
Conformist makes it more confusing, as it's not something that's opposite to individualism.
Since if a society a person lives in, is individualistic, then it would be conformist to be individualistic yourself.

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hmm... that makes sense. So it should be 'collectivist', then?

SigmaSuccour

Dogmatic
Reaction score
First Language
Urdu, English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, in my opinion. 'Collectivism' or 'Collectivist'.
I can understand you not wanting to use it because of its broad range of use. And how it can possibly refer to a set of political beliefs.

However, since people would first read 'individualistic', and see 'Collectivist' as its opposite. They would easily understand it refers to people working together in groups. (And won't take it in the political sense.)

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I see! On reflection, that's probably more helpful for me since it pertains to work culture and whatnot. Collectivist it is, then.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Done.

One thing I bumped into that might throw of the answer a little though :
The age of ppl I believe play games is much broader then the answers allow me to as I could only pick one very specific age range so that answer is in no way what I think nor what I know to be true.
Letting ppl choose any number of answers there would give a much more accurate answer.

EDIT: a second thing is do you feel your artistic view clashes with the market - I picked maybe though the real answer should be 'at times' and i miss a follow up question wether or not I would find this a detrement or not.

Thats my two cents anyway

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I can see what you're getting at, but narrowing things down so the respondent has to use their judgement as to which one is 'closer' is part of the point. The 'Maybe' answer for that second question I felt covered any instance in which it might be ambiguous, in my opinion.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
narrowing things down so the respondent has to use their judgement as to which one is 'closer' is part of the point.
Then I wouldve more prefered the choice to be ' kids, teens, adults, etc'.
The en again its prolly Just me lol

I know the group that games here is very wide and that pre-adults and kids are nearly equally envolved in gaming so that knowledge taints the question for me xD

The 'Maybe' answer for that second question I felt covered any instance in which it might be ambiguous, in my opinion
That could be due to the fact that english isn't my native tongue. To me it felt more like an 'I dont know' then an 'at times it does' but that's fine.

In any event, good luck :)

Prez

Blarp-a-barp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks! Quick update; I'm gonna be closing responses on Friday (that is, tomorrow) because I need to move on to data analysis, so if you were holding out on answering, now you know! : P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Why is there so much month left at the end of money? D=
Hello humans! How goes your day in this journey of living? I hope it is good, for I am human like you, and I am feeling great! Worship the altar.
Sand is basically small rocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Parzival