FREE Need a decent amount of help. Will fully share credit and creative control.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I have a pretty ambitious project to make the kind of game that's in the vein of the sorts of games I love. I have already purchased a commercial license to the Alpha ABS system, all of Yanfly's plugins, as well as a few resource and music packs. I have also compiled a list of plugins that I think will help do the things I'd like to do. We will be using RPGMaker MV, as it has the plugins that I need.

I'd like to make a game reminiscent of old Bioware games; custom character, branching story, dialogue options, compelling characters, deep lore.
A completely overhauled stats system, distinct class features, satisfying leveling and combat and exploration.
It will have a party approval system that will unlock personal quests, romance-able companions, unique dialogue based on party composition. And I think I have everything I need to accomplish it.

So where do you come in? Well now we're into the bass tacks. Of course games of this scope require lots of eventing, triggers, variables, not to mention the amount of writing and mapping and sound design. It's a lot for one person. So I'd like some people who are generalists and we can all work on everything together but of course if there's one aspect of game making that you're really into I'm not gonna turn you down. Odds are you're better at it than.
Mostly I need help with writing, scripting and mapping. Most of the hard coding has been taken care of with plugins but if you can code that's always appreciated. Artists are more than welcome too, I think I have collected a lot of tilesets and characters already but more original content is always better.

So anyone willing to work with me on this will have full creative say. I have a couple of stories with characters, settings and lore, but of course its fully subject to input and change.
One is a sort of dystopian, cyber-punk high fantasy; think Phantasy Star/Wizards/Nausicaa and the Valley of the Wind/Bladerunner/Ghost in the Shell
The Second is more traditional Western Fantasy but with original races and a more developed story than the first.
More than willing to talk more in depth about either with anyone who wants to know more. We can coordinate over discord, and if I get some interested parties I can buy the business version of dropbox or another cloud service so that we can all work together.

Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope to hear from you soon :)

Woland

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you shipped a game before?

Woland

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you considered making a simple game first, by yourself, before you recruit people to help with the behemoth you just described above?

You know... As a proof you can deliver anything. Or that you yourself can be any good at what you want to do. A trial run for yourself, if you will.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you considered making a simple game first, by yourself, before you recruit people to help with the behemoth you just described above?

You know... As a proof you can deliver anything. Or that you yourself can be any good at what you want to do. A trial run for yourself, if you will.
I've been playing around with MV for five years and I know how it works. It really comes down to the scope of making a game of this size. It's just daunting for one person. I could make a simple game by myself but I don't think I'd be able to make one that I'd feel proud releasing or one that I think others would want to play.

Woland

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are absolutely underestimating what it takes to actually finish a game. It is not "just" about the scope.

If you don't believe you could make an engaging simple game yourself, what makes you think making a bigger game with more people is more feasible?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You are absolutely underestimating what it takes to actually finish a game. It is not "just" about the scope.

If you don't believe you could make an engaging simple game yourself, what makes you think making a bigger game with more people is more feasible?
By scope I mean the amount of writing, scripting, mapping, eventing. Its a lot.

Because the division of labor. The amount of time it would take to make the sort of game I'd want is a lot to balance with work and life. As one person I don't think I can reasonably make a game that is as good as I want. I can make a linear 20 hour game using the stock assets in a couple of months. But to make a branching story with engaging combat and exploration would take years to do single handedly.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shawnyadeadhomie
your main problem is that your text and your posts do NOT read as "I want help for my game".
Instead it reads as "I want someone else to make my game for me"
It doesn't matter what you intended the text to be, your inexperience results in that impression.

Most team projects fail due to several reasons, and as a result all those people who could help you are already "burned" and are looking for proof that they won't be burned again by whatever other team or project they try next.
And that proof requires two parts: First proof that you work on your project yourself - like screenshots of maps you already finished or artwork or story or whatever you will do for the project.
And second that you have the skills of a project leader - which has nothing to do with game development.

Neither of those two things are visible in your first post, which is why you only got questions.
With what you've shown and your answers here I think it would be much better for you to join an existing project to get the experience before starting your own project.

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In the nicest way possible, I agree with everything else that's been said.

This is a really ambitious idea for a project, and I'm sure it'll be great when you eventually make it. But seriously, please, I am literally begging you, make a smaller game by yourself first. It doesn't matter if it's as good. Just make something less ambitious, and release it. If you can point to a completed game project you've released when you're asking for people to come on board for a project, they'll be more reassured in your ability to deliver on the thing they're investing in.

What you have to keep in mind is that you're not just recruiting people to bring your idea to life; you're asking people to invest *significant* amounts of their personal time into bringing someone else's vision to fruition (and as much creative control as they'd have, it is ultimately *your* vision; how would you resolve things if someone else on the project wanted to do something a particular way and you strongly disagreed? How much creative control would they have then?) and when you make an ask like that without money being involved, you need something you can direct them to that will prove you can deliver.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Shawnyadeadhomie
your main problem is that your text and your posts do NOT read as "I want help for my game".
Instead it reads as "I want someone else to make my game for me"
It doesn't matter what you intended the text to be, your inexperience results in that impression.

Most team projects fail due to several reasons, and as a result all those people who could help you are already "burned" and are looking for proof that they won't be burned again by whatever other team or project they try next.
And that proof requires two parts: First proof that you work on your project yourself - like screenshots of maps you already finished or artwork or story or whatever you will do for the project.
And second that you have the skills of a project leader - which has nothing to do with game development.

Neither of those two things are visible in your first post, which is why you only got questions.
With what you've shown and your answers here I think it would be much better for you to join an existing project to get the experience before starting your own project.
I understand. And the truth is that I do want a team or at least a partner to help share the load. This isn't necessarily a singular vision that I want to dominate, its a cooperative effort that I'd like to do with someone else and we can make the game together. I have a story and characters and the mechanics down but I also don't want to make it seem inflexible; I want other people to have creative input.
I also wanted to keep the post concise as per the thread rules, so I'm willing to talk with anyone who wants to know more in depth over discord or something.

Woland

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Every single answer you give just proves further how you actually don't understand a word we are saying. There's a reason for that. You lack the experience of actually making and finishing a game, therefore you're ignoring every single red flag that's being raised as they're outside of your area of understanding.

It's cool to dream, man, but when so many people are giving you a reality check, maybe it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Grumpy dream crusher out.

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Every single answer you give just proves further how you actually don't understand a word we are saying. There's a reason for that. You lack the experience of actually making and finishing a game, therefore you're ignoring every single red flag that's being raised as they're outside of your area of understanding.

It's cool to dream, man, but when so many people are giving you a reality check, maybe it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

Grumpy dream crusher out.
If you're not interested, you're not interested. I'm not exactly sure what your purpose was in responding to this thread?

Tenshi12

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
Czech
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I like your idea, I would love to hear more. I can help with creating branching quests and writing story

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My new 49" monitor has been dispatched from the warehouse. Will it arrive tomorrow? The day after? I love that we can track packages now, even if it does only tell me when it's left that end and when it's arrived at the local centre. As long as it doesn't end up in Melbourne again, which has happened before ...
My friend's doing a surprise stream of my game Origin Hunt on Twitch here ! Feel free to stop by :yhappy:
Me, designing it a long time ago: Having an optional boss fight as a random chance to trigger when you fish in a certain spot with a certain type of bait is fun! Cool idea!
Me, trying to playtest everything again: oh god just let me see the boss, my bag is so full of fish!
both love and pain have no boundaries

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
universalwonder