Need Feedback on Talk & Empath Battle System (Like Shin Megami Tensei)

Discussion in 'Game Mechanics Design' started by Nerdboy, Feb 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

Introducing my "Talk Function", I call it the "Empath System", for my battle system. Similar to shin megami tensei but with more depth and a little bit more complex. It's designed to add flavor and make battles more "Lively". Based on personality and emotional responses from monsters. Depending on your choices, this may offer positive or negative effects in battle. Such as gifted items, more gold rewards, Buffs/debuffs, or conditions/states, the monster might even flee etc. The most important feature of the "Empath System" at the end game based on the amount of Monsters that Like You, will determine your popularity rating and offer different endings.

What are your thoughts? Do you like it? Do you think it adds character to battles, where most battle systems are rather generic and don't add any flavor.

What do you think of the Encounter Flavor Text? When the battle is initiated?

2. Milennin

Milennin "With a bang and a boom!" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I watched the video, but I don't understand what is going on. Do you just keep talking to it and memorise the favourable picks until the monster likes you?

Rayhaku808 likes this.
  3. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

Each command, Gift, Bribe, Taunt, Charm, have random set of variables that trigger random questions (each command has a pool of 25 questions - I've fixed it so that its more random than the video forget to reset variables each time). You pick the one that you as a player feels is honest to you, and see what the outcome is. Or memorize what is favorable. Each mood the monster is in, either increases or decreases, three states, Like, Hate, and Envy. When either state reaches rank 3, it triggers a random outcome, such as Envy which would offer random gold or items, or Like, buffs or other positive states. You trigger the outcome by using the command Empath, which tells you whether the monster likes you or not (what state its in). Hope that helps you understand. What do you think? How can I improve it?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  4. Pierman Walter

Pierman Walter Chunk Monster Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    From a story standpoint, it doesn't make sense that every conversation is based on philosophical questions. If a dragon wants to kill you for waking it up, it doesn't make any sense for it to listen to anything you say. Maybe you should include some background information on how dragons like to hoard knowledge, or the next area is full of riddling sphinxes.

5. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

I originally was going to individualize each monster, but i have over 300 monsters, and that would require lots of dialogue written/questions. so i decided to simplify it, and have it so that, general questions are asked instead. I do understand that from a story point of view it doesn't make sense, but for simplifying it, this works best. the problem with individualizing each monster is that i want it randomized, and i'd have to create lots of random questions way more then the 100 i have now. if i get enough feedback on this i may individualize it like you say "Pierman".

6. Psycoris

Psycoris Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Seems interesting. You want something a little more individualized but not as much work as doing all 300 monsters. You might be able to do this plugin some real justice. Just might be a bit of work setting it up.

http://mvplugins.com/plugin/Jameika/Tracery

Here is a tutorial/demo: http://www.crystalcodepalace.com/traceryTut.html

The hardest part would be the answer side. Possibly another plugin that would parse the question for a regex keyword to generate a positive or negative response. For example with your dragon gold = positive. Your answers could be wrapped the same as the question to convolute the correct answer. This would work around being able to memorize the correct answers in the first hour or so of gameplay.

Overall I think you have a very interesting mechanic.

7. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

*Psycoris, tracery looks very interesting. I figured a way to make it feel more individualized without doing so much work. By setting a variable = personality, i can randomly generate a pool of dialogue that better suits the individual monster.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  8. Psycoris

Psycoris Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Awesome, less "hard" work the better. Saw your system and that just popped into my head as perfect for a dialog driven system. I hope I can make some use of it to make my non specific NPCs have a richer dialog.

9. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

So this is how i have the system set up now. Each encounter with a monster generates 1 to 3 random variable switches, gentle, neutral, and violent. with different flavor text to set the mood of the monster. if the mood is gentle, you only have 'Gift' and 'Charm' available, while violent would limit you too 'Bribe' and 'Taunt', and neutral all four options. this was the simplest way to individualize the monster, now the encounter flavor text sets the mood of the battle. i actually like this simple dynamic. now all monsters have a gentle, neutral, and violent flavor text that randomly generates, so you could get a gentle dragon, neutral dragon, or violent dragon, adding a dynamic, that limits what 'Speak" options are available. What do you people think of this way of handling personality?

10. Psycoris

Psycoris Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Nice and simple. If it isn't already in place I would have some question tables for different broad category stereotypes. Example: Monster race, Animal, mythological creature... reuse applicable questions and toss asking the wolf if he likes Formal Events.

11. LxCharon

LxCharon I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What if you only made certain creatures have the empath ability be used on? Like only boss monsters? Or only sentient monsters? That way you can make the questions more personable and don't have to create thousands and thousands of questions.

12. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

My game has NO Bosses per se, although there is Monster Arena with Ranked Duels, that is also the goal of the game, so in some ways those are bosses. But in ranked duels i wouldn't expect you to talk to Monsters. Maybe i'd have to think that over more. I added another feature where each Speak Command is now set to variables, and the variables are increased the more you use them, as well as, increasing the odds of successfully using the Speak Commands. I also added the Popularity Rating, as a variable to display, so the player knows how many Monsters like you, to get different endings. The Popularity Rating goes down, when Monsters hate you. So i branch on this and offer negative popularity rating, for more possible endings. The game utilizes new game+, that infinitely loops itself, since my entire game is based on monster catching like Pokemon, and procedural generated dungeons like roguelikes, actually I call it a "Dungeon Runner" type game with monster catching added in. Each Random Dungeon (procedural level) uses Timers, that also extend timer, based on Speak Commands and killing monsters, and having certain obstacles hit you player touch such as traps and other objects in the environment will decrease timer. This gives the player added adrenaline when running dungeons, since monsters dont give XP from battles only when you complete a Dungeon Run. and a few other ways.

Sorry i got sidetracked i just done a ton of work today! as for the Empath System, I also added the Action System to battle, which i will post video on shortly enough won't go into detail here since its off topic. Action System combined with Empath System, make for very interesting battle options for player.

Note- I've updated my empath system to use tiers based on Monster rarity, Epic, Rare, Uncommon, and Common. The rarity determines how high a Speak skill is required to successfully speak to the monster.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  13. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

Hi, here's a preview of my Action System. Basic action commands are available to player that offer great advantages in battle at the cost of stamina. Run out of stamina and actions are no longer available to use. Also in video includes my dice roll system, using d6, d4, d10, d12, d20 as multipliers to damage and defense. And changes to my "Empath System", where certain speak commands are limited based on encounter flavor text, such as gentle, neutral, and violent.

What are you thoughts? Anything need changing?

note- i changed how most of the actions effects work then in the video today. its going to get very complicated to implement but, it's necessary for what i want the basic action effects to work like.