Need Help. Big map parallax!

Discussion in 'RGSSx Script Support' started by Square_art, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Square_art

Square_art Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Russian
    I'm still trying to learn how to use parallax mapping properly in RGSS3! I think if we find the answers it can be amazingly helpful topic for many users!  Currently I have a map 2240w*1568h which I badly want to use in game as a parallax map with animation and light effects!! The 1st problem is - scrolling! 

The instruction which I follow:

1) Prepare picture-map in photoshop and save it in project's folder -> Parallaxes

2) Save scripts:

1. Yanfly Engine Ace - Parallax Lock v1.00

2. Fix Picture to Map (Algebra)

3. Animated Parallax (Algebra)

4. Multiple Fogs (Woratana)

below 'Materials'.

3) Set the picture as Parallax Background in Map Properties, set size 70w*49h

The result: only part (1408w*992h) of current map is displayed, when charater and map moves it looks like the character moves too slowly. (I know, it's bad-bad instruction, but currently it's all what I have(know) about parallax mapping)

I hope to find a master of parallax mapping who can help to figure out how to:

1) Fix the issue about scrolling

2) Use layers to cover the charater and npc (like 'star' passage)

3) Set Passage in big pallax maps

4) Use 'Bush' and 'Ladder' in big parallax maps

5) Use effects of 'Move Picure' when using big maps (e.g.  2240w*1568h pix.)

Please reply if you can answer at least 1 of those questions.

I also ask you to share 'your instruction' of parallax mapping, especially, if it works with big maps.

I think we can all share our knowledge and experience and learn something new and helpful

2. Zephaniah

Zephaniah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Well, I'm certainly no master. However, I believe that I can help you with most of your questions.

Honestly, I only completely understand your first question. the scrolling issue is fixed with the parallax lock script that you have.

Right click on the map name and then click map properties.

Type <tile lock parallax> in the notes section.

click OK

Your map should not scroll around anymore after doing that. What that did is lock the parallax map to the tiles, so that it only scrolls or moves if the tiles scroll or move. I find that this works better on big maps compared to the <full lock parallax>.

I don't really understand your other questions, but I believe that I could help you out. It seems like you want to set the passability on your map also, in which case you would need an overlay script.  PM me if you want to, or Skype me at zephaniahanimus.

Square_art likes this.
  3. Square_art

First Language:
    Russian
    yeah, notes!! I'm totally forgot about them! Thank you, I'll try it today in 8 hours (as soon as I came home) :)

4 Issues left:

1) How to use layers to cover the charater and npc? (how to use 'star' passage functionality when using parallax mapping)

2) How to set passages in big pallax maps? (how to set passages "X" and "O" when using parallax map)

3) How to use 'Bush' and 'Ladder' passage properties in big parallax maps? (If I have some ladders and grass on parallax map how can I set them appropriate properties? As idea I'm thinking to use invisible "B" tiles which have required properties)

4) How to use effects of 'Move Picure' when using big maps (e.g.  2240w*1568h pix.)? (if someone know the way how to add animated water, fogs, falling leafs, etc. when using  parallax maps (especially big maps) please, share your knowledge. If there are some answers, ideas, I'm sure we'll find something helpful for everyone)

4. Zephaniah

Zephaniah Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    What you really need right now is an overlay script, and a parallax animation script. Those two should then have instructions on how to set passability, animate your parallax map, and allow you to set properties on your map for the bush and ladder.

Those two scripts would answer all of your questions xD 

Square_art likes this.
  5. Square_art

First Language:
    Russian
    <tile lock parallax> - tested - it works!

In terms of 'Overlay script' - I checked the 'Demo' it's Awesome! looks like it's easy to use! I'll try to combine those scripts! Thanks!

6. Gauze

Gauze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a problem that when i leave the are with the parallax map it gets buggy and parts of the image jump to the other none-parallax map I Use Sky Reflection could that be it?