Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok... I got my first problem just now. I was playing CS GO, and all of a sudden the monitor went black, then green, then the PC shut off. Didn't even get a BSoD. No idea what the reason was. PC turned back on, everything seems fine, but then I notice that the boot debug light is now on. I don't know how to turn it off or what the problem is, either. I entered bios setting, enabled XMP profile, but still nothing.

Uh oh... What do I do now?

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If the PC still runs normally, you can just ignore the debug LED. Some people also report the "black screen" on RX 5000 series, and point out that the issue is from the recent AMD drivers. They have not fixed it thoroughly yet, so you might have to wait for new drivers.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I restarted the PC again, and the light was gone. I continued playing for another 40 minutes, everything seemed fine, but then the PC turned off all of a sudden again. The monitor just went black, then says no HDMI connection, and after 1 second, the PC turned itself on again. Lights inside the case were still on, but it's as if I just powered off and on my PC real quick. Oh, there wasn't even the screen that tells me to sign in. The debug light didn't turn on this time. How weird... The heck is going on, man? -.-

Oh, and the AMD Radeon software didn't start automatically after the PC rebooted itself, unlike usual. Had to open it myself. A small but strange extra detail.

Edit: Just played for another 5-10 minutes then it restarted itself again.

Last edited:

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I restarted the PC again, and the light was gone. I continued playing for another 40 minutes, everything seemed fine, but then the PC turned off all of a sudden again. The monitor just went black, then says no HDMI connection, and after 1 second, the PC turned itself on again. Lights inside the case were still on, but it's as if I just powered off and on my PC real quick. Oh, there wasn't even the screen that tells me to sign in. The debug light didn't turn on this time. How weird... The heck is going on, man? -.-

Oh, and the AMD Radeon software didn't start automatically after the PC rebooted itself, unlike usual. Had to open it myself. A small but strange extra detail.

Edit: Just played for another 5-10 minutes then it restarted itself again.
Does the PC restart only when you are gaming? Try to use the PC for some time in safe mode to test its stability. If the issue still persists, it may be a hardware problem. If not, try to delete the GPU driver and use one older version.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Got another reboot. I took a screenshot of the temperature graph in the bios right after it happened. Does this look like some kind of overheating problem? Does the boot priority order matter after I have installed Windows?

Yeah, so far, this only happens when I game. Hope that's the end of it. Someone suspects that this might be a PSU or RAM problem. But I can't see any indication of such... How can you tell, anyway?

Edit: another reboot while I was running Cs in the background and monitoring Cpu usage. I think Gpu usage was around 70%, fps in game was 200 fluctuating. Strange...

Another try, and game couldn't even run. Lol.

Last edited:

LTN Games

Code Sorcerer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It sounds like an overheating issue but at the same time the 5000 series has been known for their black screens but I was almost positive about 90% of cases were fixed months ago.

First thing I would do is download HWInfo, this allows you to keep track of your temps in realtime while using your PC. While gaming you can use Radeon's software to open the metric overlay by pressing ctrl + shift + o (at least for me it is) this will allow you to keep an eye on the temperatures of your GPU + CPU while gaming in fullscreen.

Report back when you take a look at your temps while using your PC.

P.S average idle temps are anywhere from 30 - 50c for CPU (depending on room temps) and about 40 - 50c for GPU at idle. Gaming, a GPU can easily reach 90c but usually around 75-80c is your average, again depends on your game + room temps.

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The graph you show is just the smart-fan system, not the temperature of the CPU. It automatically forces the fan to run at a certain speed when reaching a certain temperature. You can toy with it to make the fan work in your own way, but only if you have some experience with temperature and fan speed. In case you are suspecting an overheating problem, try to use MSI afterburner. It can display the information of your components in-game. This is the easiest way to track CPU/GPU temperature and usage. To learn how to setup Onscreen Display, follow this video:

REMEMBER: It is the software to overclock your GPU, so only use the On-screen Display feature. Do not use anything else in the main UI, or your GPU will be in danger if you do not know what you are doing. The tutorial for this should start from 01:52.

Try to show the most important information, like GPU/CPU temperature, fan speed, GPU/CPU usage. Normally, my Ryzen 5 3600 (with the GTE cooler) and my GTX 1070 only reach 65° in heavy gaming (like playing Red Dead Redemption 2). If they are all under 80°, you are totally fine. If GPU or CPU is higher than 80 during gaming, it is considered as hot and needs a review of your cooling system (re-sit the cooler, or check its screws to see if they are all tight).

Last edited:

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@LTN Games I've heard of HWInfo. I'll use that next if I continue to have problems.
@JamesRyan Yeah, I used that before for my old laptop. Temp would hit over 90 but it rarely shut down, just stuttered.

OK. I used MSI Afterburner to check if there's anything abnormal about the temperature. The strange thing is that, I couldn't start CS after the last reboot. I got into the menu screen, then the game says something about me not running it in trusted program, or whatever, and told me to restart. I tried to enter the game again and the PC just rebooted.

I tested Doom this time. I played through the first level without any significant issue. Except for a few oddities...

Anything seems wrong with the numbers?
What are these white lines?
I ran the game in Ultra settings.

For the most part the game ran mostly fine from 80-90 fps range, occasionally dipping down to 79 or up to 103. This bugs me a little, because the benchmarks show that I'm supposed to have over 120 fps in 1080p settings. I also see some white lines when I turn left or right in the fifth picture. They show up even when I have V-sync at 60 fps. I think I played for about 40 minutes or so, or at least must have been more than 30 minutes, and besides the low fps and white lines I mentioned, there wasn't any major issue. I don't know if anything would have happened if I kept playing, though. Right now, I am reinstalling CS GO. Perhaps it's just that game that has issue, maybe a bad download or something. Please let me know if you noticed anything unusual. I'm gonna test Yakuza 0.

LTN Games

Code Sorcerer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Your temps look great but maybe even too low, because as you said you should be pulling an easy 120fps with the card you have, so maybe its not drawing much power?. Oh, I see that that its using OpenGL, I would go in the settings and change anywhere you see OpenGL and switch it to Vulkan, that should improve your fps by a lot because Vulkan and Radeon = Amazing. As you saidf though it may just be the game install that is causing issues.

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The temperature is great, so there should not be an overheating problem. Are the white lines appearing randomly, or just at some certain places in-game?

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
The white lines show up when I turn left or right.

And goddamn it...! Just had another restart from CS! What the hell!? I'm filled with rage right now! Thought it was done and over, but no, life is not that smooth! This better just be a CS issue!

Edit: tried to use HWinfo, but not sure how. I have the log info when it crashed, but can't read a damn thing.

Edit 2: this bastard... I used MSI Afterburner to see what the hell is going on with the specs when it restarts. After 40 minutes, the game runs fine with no restarts. This damn thing...

Last edited:

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Like I said, have you tried to run on safe mode? Does it only restart when you are gaming (any games), or just a certain game, or even when you are just surfing the internet?

Install THIS to your PC. It is the software to analyze the problem when windows experience a crash. After installation, just leave it there. It will run on the background. Once you get a restart, open the software and click "Analyze" button and show me the most recent logs.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
No, I have not tried using safe mode yet. So far, it has only been restarting while I am gaming, and just CS GO. At least, I have yet to encounter this issue with the other games.

Thought everything was fine during the last few days after a bios update, meaning it's fine. But no. OK. Where is the analyze button on that software, because I can't find it.

Damn it... This is infuriating...

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you downloaded the wrong software. It should be "WhoCrashed", not "Registry Manager". Try to download it HERE.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I think you downloaded the wrong software. It should be "WhoCrashed", not "Registry Manager". Try to download it HERE.
Please kill me.

For some reason, it only shows two crash dumps, both of which are from last Sunday. Played for another hour after the last restart, no issue.

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Sun 7/12/2020 11:42:46 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\071220-4578-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80048A309F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8108255B1460, 0xFFFFF80048A309F0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

On Sun 7/12/2020 11:42:46 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (0xFFFFF80048A309F0)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFF8108255B1460, 0xFFFFF80048A309F0, 0x0, 0xD)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\u0355311.inf_amd64_183b8d63847c90cf\B355199\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: atikmpag.sys Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.
So, clearly an AMD problem. Unless there's something else, since this only shows 2 out of a dozen restarts.

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So the issue is coming from AMD driver on their 5000 series GPU. 5600XT is a great one, but their recent drivers are killing it with random crashes and black screens. Keep that software in your PC to analyze future crashes to see if something else shows up.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
So, the root is more like some sort of incompatibility issue between MS and AMD? I've reinstalled the Radeon Software, factory settings, and tried this method https://community.amd.com/thread/180166

Gonna test the system more now. I hope changing the TDR time won't affect any other programs.

Does NVIDIA GPUs have this problem, too? Here I thought driver issue is mostly a problem for just the 5700. This is my first experience with AMD, and I'm getting a not-so-good impression already. >.<

Edit: Nope! Just got another restart, lmao.
WhoCrashed didn't have any log on this. Weird.

Last edited:

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It is not AMD and MS. It is the 5000 series from AMD itself. These GPUs have a good price per performance, but the recent drivers have lots of issues, especially black screen. So far the Nvidia users have not experienced major issues on the RTX 2000 or GTX 1600. So if you can, you may change to Nvidia. I can say that the current AMD CPUs are really great, but not the GPUs.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Upon further reading, seems like the problem has existed since last year and as of mid July 2020, AMD still hasn't managed to eliminate this issue. This is crazy. I knew there was talk of unstable drivers, but I didn't know it was this bad. I tried deleting Radeon Software, but that ended up disabling my volume as well. Audio wouldn't come out of neither my monitor nor my headphone and I had to reinstall it again.

I'm exhausted.
I'll try to safe mode DDU this damn thing tomorrow. The deadline for return is 7/22. I am just one random restart from firing up an RMA demand. Asking for a bunch of returns on Amazon is really risky, but I can't just suck this up. Heard NVIDIA GPUs can be loud. How bad are they?

Not sure if this is GPU related, but if I play CS, then alt+esc out and let the game run in the background, my monitor's color looks as if its saturation was increased noticeably. It's back to normal if I quit the game. Strange.

JamesRyan

Game Designer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you cannot take this anymore, just return it and take the RTX 2060, or if you cannot afford, at least take the GTX 1660 Super. The GPUs themselves are not generating any noise, so they are NOT loud (both NVIDIA and AMD). The component generating noise from the graphics card is the fans. Loud or not, it is based on how the manufacturers build their fans, and on how much speed they spin. I do love AMD GPUs back when they were RX 400/500 series, and at first, I did not think the RX 5000 series were this bad. I also had a plan to upgrade my GTX 1070 to RX 5700XT, but after this, I think I have lost my trust in the RX 5000 series already. Will wait for their next-gen GPUs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

How do you cure sleep problem? It has been 7 months and it's 3 AM now..
Darn you, Seals! Why do you gotta be so cute when on land?:kaoluv:
So dragonbones getting laggy xD
I even removed the fingers armatures.

Have to remake this guy after crashing ( corrupted file).
:rtear:

Although limited to only this shop for room decorations, I like this aspect for previewing items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnthonyDewitt