Need help for creating Focus Punch attack, turn end events don't formulate damage???

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by AsiClip, Sep 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AsiClip

AsiClip Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know if this is a glitch in RPG Maker but I have it so that when A uses Focus Punch you choose a target and the move has increased priority so A gets state "Focus Punch" added to him at the beginning of the turn. If he sustains any damage at all during the turn it will remove the state and A will essentially lose a turn, but if you get to the end of the turn without getting hit in troop events there's a conditional branch that checks if a party member has the "Focus Punch" state and if they do I created a separate skill that the event forces A to use on his last target. Everything works fine except after the attack is finished it does not subtract any damage from A's target. Does RPG Maker not use damage functions for turn end events???

Can someone maybe help me with a script that can formulate damage for turn end events if this is the problem???

Gabriel-Chi likes this.
  2. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's not the problem. "Force Action" uses the normal damage mechanisms for the skill being forced, just as if the player had instructed the battler to use it.

The first thing I would try, if I were you, would be to assign that separate skill to the character as a usable action and try using it in the battle to see what happens. If it also doesn't deal damage or subtract HP from the target, your problem has nothing to do with the forced action - it's more likely a problem in the Skill itself. If it does deal damage, and after triple-checking the Force Action method you find that it still doesn't, then there's likely a problem in the way you're forcing an Action, or in the event itself.

What happens, visually, when the action is used? Does the animation play? Does the combat log say that damage was done, and if so, is the amount of damage greater than 0?

Show us screenshots of the following, and we can help you figure out the problem:
    • the Troop Event that runs the Force Action
    • the Skill that was forced
    • the Focus Punch state

3. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can also use this Yanfly Tip & Trick to achieve the same effect. Place the code in the "charging" state and add all the elements to the code and you'll achieve the effect you want.

4. AsiClip

AsiClip Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Wavelength I've tested to see if the skill that executes the damage works and it does when called normally, but when used at the end of the turn it shows that it connects formulates the damage but doesn't subtract it from it's target.
    State.png Skill.png Troop.png Focus Damage.png Focus No Damage.png
    Then I tried to use it mid battle to see if that was the problem, but it still wouldn't subtract the damage and stops all damage from affecting them essentially making them immortal.
    Mid Battle Test.png Mid Battle Test 2.png

@Uzuki Might look into using that but would first like to see if I can get this to work so I can do more interesting stuff with the troop processes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019