Need help ironing out ideas for my game

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by avitron142, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avitron142

avitron142 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    This is a bit of a different resource request than the others. I did see though that people offered this type of service in the Resource Workshops (which are now full, unfortunately), so I guess that it would be okay to ask for that same help here, in the requests.

I have a very decent overarching plot, characters, and plenty of backstory as well. The problem is, I can't seem to figure out how to make the story progress - I have the beginning, end, and explanations, but trouble figuring out the middle (which happens ot be most of the game, time-wise). I could do random sidequests, but that would just be a waste if it doesn't tie in to the main (or NPC backplot's) stories.

I'd like to ask, if anyone here has experience creating games, do you mind giving me a bit of help here? There's only a few obstacles left before mapping out the game, and this is one of them - if I don't know how the story would progress, then I don't know what types of maps I should use, which makes it all the harder to then map a non-existent map.

If this is out of place, I apologize. If not, I appreciate any and all help here. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  2. Tycho X

Tycho X Rampant AI Member

First Language:
    English
    I'd like helping you but I'm afraid I'd need at least some context/story before being able to do so... you're not 'feeding us' enough information- we can't help.

Feel free to write me a PM and I'll respond within an hour or two.

3. avitron142

First Language:
    English

Of course! Instead of burdening all with the whole plot here, I was planning on PM'ing each respective member individually with the plot, and then letting them decide whether they'd like to work on it.

4. Alkorri

Alkorri Proofreading Penguin Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Pretty sure this kind of request doesn't belong here :)

Also, there is a Plot and Character Feedback thread here. That's what it for.

5. avitron142

First Language:
    English

It isn't the plot, or characters that I need feedback on. It's the parts I don't have, that I need to fit with the ones I do. I'm pretty sure that thread is for tweaking parts you already have set, and if I would go there, they would tell me it's ill-suited for their topic as well.

Like I mentioned before, the reason I posted this here is because people post this kind of help in the resource workshops. If it fits in the resource workshops, I think it's fair to request that same "resource" here.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2016
  6. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So if I'm understanding your first post correctly, you have the beginning and you have the end, but you don't know what to do with the middle? Which, in any story, is the bulk of it!

I suggest you make a list of things at the beginning and things at the end and what has CHANGED. Because it's those changes that should be in the middle. Look at your characters. How do they begin the game; how do they end it? (Maybe your MC starts the game as a jaded grump and ends it with their heart open to compassion. Jaded - > Compassionate: write it on the list.) Look at both the major playable characters, the enemies, and other significant NPCs and make a list like that for each. Now do the same for your game's world. Break it up by city maybe, or by area. Did one city start the game under an oppressive king and end the game in the ruins of a civil war? Mark it on the list.

You should have a list of things that must happen when you're done. A checklist of goals.

Now look at your list and look at the changes that are most important to the overarching plot you have. This is where you should place your focus on what goes in the middle. The developments of your main cast should certainly be given reason in the bulk of the story. What can make your MC go from being jaded and a recluse to being compassionate and active in their community? You need to lay out events that show that. Is the city's civil war important? Then you need to lay out events that will show the player that. You need an event that shows the player the current state of the city. You need an event showing the player people's unrest. If it's SUPER important to the plot, you'll want the player caught up in the middle of it. Stuff like that.

Once you quantify what you NEED to accomplish with the story, it's much easier to figure out how to do it.

This way of looking at it can especially help if you are a more logical thinker than creative one, because it's a logical way of looking at the story's progression.

You are correct in your logic that filling the centre with sidequests would be the wrong answer. The bulk of a story needs to be the STORY, so focus hard on the starting points and the end game points you have and think carefully about what changes need to be made to accomplish those end goals.

I don't really have time to look at your story points specifically, but I hope that this is helpful in some way. (This certainly helps me when I'm writing)

7. avitron142

First Language:
    English

The bulk of the story will be discovered over time. I have the changes between the beginning (knows nothing) and the end (full realization), but they're not ideas that can be discovered through bosses or towns.

I'm taking inspiration from games like TWEWY, Soma, and Undertale, all of which the main "realization" or plot happens at the end of the game. It's hard to make a 'discovery' type game though in RPG Maker without having people get bored.

"Once you quantify what you NEED to accomplish with the story, it's much easier to figure out how to do it."

I'll definitely focus on this part, it 's some really good advice. Thanks!

Makio-Kuta likes this.
  8. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome, and good luck!

9. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, this does not belong in Resource Requests. I still think plot feedback is the best place, as it sounds to me that is what you are looking to fill - the plot holes. But if you insist that that is not where it needs to be, find one of the workshops you say is offered and ask for help there, or post in Project Recruitment looking for someone to help you. But I'm closing this here as it just doesn't belong.

Alkorri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.