Need help making post-game work.

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Getting really frustrated with this one, hoping somebody can help.

I'm fairly new to RPG Maker, so that's likely why this is such a struggle. Basically, I'm trying to make it so the final scene of my game plays out, credits roll, and then I want to offer the player a chance to save their complete file, then, I want a quick message like "There are new mysteries to discover, seek them out!" and then have the player brought back to the title screen. Then, when they load the game, I want the player to load back in their hometown.

As of right now, every time I try to make this work, I end up stuck in an endless loop where I load the file, and then I just see the quick "new mysteries" message, and then I'm brought back to the title screen.

I've looked this up a few times and the explanations involved scripts and variables, which I really don't understand how to use. Would somebody be able to give me an in-depth explanation, step by step, on how to resolve this? Directing me to previous thread posts won't help. I've read them all and I don't understand them/they don't resolve this specific issue.

To be clear, I'm not interested in making a whole new New Game Plus option on the menu, I'm aware that this exists as well. I'm looking for a solution that specifically resolves what I'm describing.

Thanks!

Soulrender

Jack Of All Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Poland
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It appears you didn't explained all so I'm assuming two possibilities:

#1 - If this is a RPG game with open world with high influence of exploration then after the final credits pass you should control switch like this: https://prnt.sc/ummfc0 and check it before game intro rolls (or after - depends on you) like that: https://prnt.sc/ummgdn

Please note, that this switch I mentioned in example must be BEFORE any autosave or save event at end of game otherwise game will start as usual

#2 - This would be probably the best option: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/New_Game+_(YEP) (but its paid plugin)

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Getting really frustrated with this one, hoping somebody can help.

I'm fairly new to RPG Maker, so that's likely why this is such a struggle. Basically, I'm trying to make it so the final scene of my game plays out, credits roll, and then I want to offer the player a chance to save their complete file, then, I want a quick message like "There are new mysteries to discover, seek them out!" and then have the player brought back to the title screen. Then, when they load the game, I want the player to load back in their hometown.

As of right now, every time I try to make this work, I end up stuck in an endless loop where I load the file, and then I just see the quick "new mysteries" message, and then I'm brought back to the title screen.

I've looked this up a few times and the explanations involved scripts and variables, which I really don't understand how to use. Would somebody be able to give me an in-depth explanation, step by step, on how to resolve this? Directing me to previous thread posts won't help. I've read them all and I don't understand them/they don't resolve this specific issue.

To be clear, I'm not interested in making a whole new New Game Plus option on the menu, I'm aware that this exists as well. I'm looking for a solution that specifically resolves what I'm describing.

Thanks!
What I would do is this, save AFTER the message and put the name of the place: New Game Plus or Complete. Put a choice to the player know its more content than the main story after the save with: Do you wish to keep going or do you wish to exit?
It's more simple this way I think, at least for now...

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It appears you didn't explained all so I'm assuming two possibilities:

#1 - If this is a RPG game with open world with high influence of exploration then after the final credits pass you should control switch like this: https://prnt.sc/ummfc0 and check it before game intro rolls (or after - depends on you) like that: https://prnt.sc/ummgdn

Please note, that this switch I mentioned in example must be BEFORE any autosave or save event at end of game otherwise game will start as usual

#2 - This would be probably the best option: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/New_Game+_(YEP) (but its paid plugin)
Thanks for the reply.

I tried the first suggestion but I'm still caught in a loop when I load the completed file where I'm shown the end message and brought back to the title screen again. I think I need to find some way to notify the game to load the file with the End Game switch OFF, because it keeps loading it as ON where it sends me back to the title screen.

I've attached an image to show you what I'm doing. Hopefully that makes things clearer.

As for your second option - I've seen this solution but it's not what I want. I want to be able to send the player back to the title screen after beating the game for the first time, and then have them load back at a "new start" rather than load back right at the point they saved, which just leaves them on an infinite loop of being sent back to the title screen.

Attachments

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What I would do is this, save AFTER the message and put the name of the place: New Game Plus or Complete. Put a choice to the player know its more content than the main story after the save with: Do you wish to keep going or do you wish to exit?
It's more simple this way I think, at least for now...
While it is simpler, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
Thanks for the reply though!

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, change the switch to OFF after the save, I think it will work

gabrieldiastche

Gabriel Dias
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Omg... I am really trying to think how can you do that. If I had one more idea, I will be here to tell you!

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a loop when I load the completed file where I'm shown the end message and brought back to the title screen again.
plugins need to be configured, only very few can be installed and ignored.

In this case it sounds as if you configured all switches and variables to carry over, resulting in the events being triggered again. That is a bad decision, because it will also make the entire game to be set to "already played".
Most switches and variables should be set to reset on new game, with very few (or none) to carry over where needed. And that is part of the plugin configuration you'll have to do to use the plugin.

Please follow the instructions of the plugin - it is supposed to have this option, but I haven't used itz and can't tell you how, you'll have to read its help.

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Please follow the instructions of the plugin - it is supposed to have this option, but I haven't used itz and can't tell you how, you'll have to read its help.
Which plugin are you referring to? The New Game+ one by yanfly?

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess modifying that plugin is as close as I can get to my intended idea for now. The one thing I was trying to avoid was having to select a whole new option to start the new game plus route (I wanted the player to just be able to load the file and start from the original file, rather than tricking the game into starting a new file and carrying over items, stats, switches, etc.) but that seems to be the only way it will work for now. At least I was able to get it to work close enough.

Thanks again for the advice!

AdeptusUK

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless I'm completely missing the point you have an autorun event that relies on a switch being on to run the script, but the first thing it does on running is turn the ENDGAME switch on. Even if you subsequently turn it off in the script when the script autoruns again it will turn it back on.

I've not used the "Return to title screen" event, but if it quits the script without immediately moving you from the map then it's likely triggering the event again.

Things I would try:

1. Assign ENDGAME outside of the script that relies on it as a switch. Use a different event to change it an then change it back to "No" at the end of this script; or
2. Turn on self-switch A at the end of your event. Create a second event page that triggers when self-switch A is on. Turn off the self-switch for the event in an some initialisation event when the player is returned to their hometown. $gameSelfSwitches.setValue([mapid, eventId, switch],false) should do it, obviously replace mapid with the map's ID number and eventId with the event Id number.

Does any of that help?

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unless I'm completely missing the point you have an autorun event that relies on a switch being on to run the script, but the first thing it does on running is turn the ENDGAME switch on. Even if you subsequently turn it off in the script when the script autoruns again it will turn it back on.

I've not used the "Return to title screen" event, but if it quits the script without immediately moving you from the map then it's likely triggering the event again.

Things I would try:

1. Assign ENDGAME outside of the script that relies on it as a switch. Use a different event to change it an then change it back to "No" at the end of this script; or
2. Turn on self-switch A at the end of your event. Create a second event page that triggers when self-switch A is on. Turn off the self-switch for the event in an some initialisation event when the player is returned to their hometown. $gameSelfSwitches.setValue([mapid, eventId, switch],false) should do it, obviously replace mapid with the map's ID number and eventId with the event Id number.

Does any of that help?
I haven't tried the first suggestion yet, but on the second suggestion, I'm getting an unexpected token switch message. Maybe I'm doing the initialization event incorrectly - can you explain a little more specifically what you mean by this part? Thanks for the thorough reply

AdeptusUK

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. Re 2:

1. Create a new event page within your existing event.
2. Change the "self switch" value on the left to "A"
3. Add an assignment of self switch A to ON in your existing event page.
4. On the hometown map that you warp the player back to, have an event run when you drop the player there that runs the script in my post above.

Does it work now?

I think the above is probably not the right way to approach this though. I think you should try to move turning your ENDGAME switch on to a separate event and turning it off at the end of your existing event.

gitaroomanlives

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem. Re 2:

1. Create a new event page within your existing event.
2. Change the "self switch" value on the left to "A"
3. Add an assignment of self switch A to ON in your existing event page.
4. On the hometown map that you warp the player back to, have an event run when you drop the player there that runs the script in my post above.
Okay, so this is actually what I did, and it showed me the error message I mentioned above.

I think you're right that this isn't the right approach, I probably need to do the separated events like you're saying - but I'm getting really mixed up as to what I should include in the switch-operated event and what to separate into the isolated event.

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I guess modifying that plugin is as close as I can get to my intended idea for now. The one thing I was trying to avoid was having to select a whole new option to start the new game plus route (I wanted the player to just be able to load the file and start from the original file, rather than tricking the game into starting a new file and carrying over items, stats, switches, etc.) but that seems to be the only way it will work for now. At least I was able to get it to work close enough.

Thanks again for the advice!
It sound to me a little bit contrived.
As a player, what I'm actually experiencing is the end of a chapter more than a true new game +. I don't really need to go to title or actually end the game at this point.

Ergonomically, what I'll do is to stage a simple "proxy ending" (including the note of more misteries), reset events/add new, jump to start location, call save and continue from that, avoiding any transit in the title screen.

THAT will do EXACTLY what you want from the player perspective.

AdeptusUK

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Let's walk through it then!

1. Player finishes game. A new event sets ENDGAME to "ON"
2. Change your existing event; remove ENDGAME from the event script.
3. On the left of the existing event tick one of the "Switches" options and set it to ENDGAME
4. At the end of your event set ENDGAME to "OFF"

There is now no way for that event to run more than once. It will only be able to run again when ENDGAME is set to "ON".

Again it's not perfect but without knowing your game like you do it's the best I've got!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Today's the day I post my demo!
I am having a great day today humans! May your day be great too! Praise the altar.
Recently discovered that an old member called "Kaus" stole some tilesets from other games, claim as yours, and some people associate his nick with mine. Besides having the same name, he was publishing tilesets too. Bad luck? Guess maybe I'll need to change my nickname... :(

My best practices for a new amazing plugin by this author https://kagedesuworkshop.blogspot.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saediga