Need help making two games that communicate with eachother through autosave

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by bbcnewsround, Jul 24, 2018.

1. bbcnewsround

bbcnewsround Warper Member

First Language:
    England
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!

I've not used this forum before so I apologise in advance if I've put this in the wrong section.

I'm currently working on two games that will (using Jackkel's Persistent Switches plugin), listen for changes in each other's switches and variables and act accordingly.

In the prototype I've made so far, a button is pressed in game 1 which increases variable 0001, and displays the value of that variable. In game 2, a copy of that button is placed, which when pressed simply displays the value. So far it's working, and game 2's button will display the value that I pushed v0001 to in game 1.

To do this, I set up a symlink on my computer to trick NTFS into thinking that the save folders for both games are one and the same, and will overwrite the same 'autosave' file no matter which game I save from. This means that any change in a switch or variable will be saved to the same file automatically, from both games, and loaded automatically whenever either game is launched.

The problem I'm having is that symlinks don't seem to copy across through a zip file, so this can only really work on my computer through this approach, unless anyone can think of a way of setting this up in a way that is portable.

I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone have any advice for how to set up a zip file in which two files are treated as the same by the host's filing system? I'm 'computer literate' but honestly most of this is way out of my depth, and I didn't even know what a symlink was before today, and honestly I'm surprised I made it past the stage where I had to manually copy the save file from one game to another. It would be great to be able to release two games that talk to each other, even if it's just to friends, without the user having to jump through hoops to get the things working.

Thanks in advance!