Fey.Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi everyone!
I hope general discussion is the right forum for this...

My husband and I are taking an entrepreneurship class, and he is designing a business idea for selling tilesets for RPG Maker MV. We're supposed to do market research on what people want from our product, and I couldn't think of a better place to ask about tileset needs than this forum.

a) Would additional tilesets help you?

b) How valuable are additional tileset options? (Is there a different sprite art need that would be better?)

c) When you're looking for tilesets, what's most important: (1) free options; (2) several options (i.e., you don't want to use tilesets unless there's a large enough set to make a larger game); (3) unique options (i.e., the tilesets look different); (4) synced options (i.e., the tilesets match the RMMV style); (5) other (explain).

-​

I have the same assignment. I have similar questions. I can poke friends and family for my side, but if you'd like to help me out too:

a) Would additional RPG Maker MV games help (i.e., entertain) you?

b) How valuable are additional RPG Maker MV games? Are you always looking for new options, or does the market feel flooded? What's missing?

-
Thank you in advance for any feedback. Hopefully this can start conversations that are useful to lots of people, and not just two people bumbling through business classes.

c) When you're looking for an RPG Maker MV game, what's most important: (1) free options; (2) several options (i.e., the developer has more than one title); (3) unique options (it's different!); (4) other (explain).

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think this is probably best in 'Maker Casual', as General Discussion is more about broad themes relating to the making of games rather than the resources we might use to make the games.

[mod]Moving this to Maker Casual.[/mod]

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a. Having more options is always nice.

b. I don't get this question.

c. Either for the tilesets to be enough for me to create an entire game out of (at least town, interiors, forest, and a few different themed dungeons), or they should match the RTP style.

For the second set:

a. I don't play that many to ever run out of new ones to play when I do look. Sometimes, I go through the games sections on the forums and try a few that look interesting to me.

b. I can't say I really put a value on RPG Maker games. I look for traditional RPG's to play since it's what the engine excels at as a tool, and those are never short in supply with RPG Maker.

c. I only ever play free projects or demos. What's most important to me is that there's a strong personal touch to a project. I enjoy playing projects that remind me of when I first started in RPG Maker and had dreams of making a big and awesome game. Even if they aren't the best kind of games, objectively, I just like seeing the passion put into it from the creator.

k_mckenzie

Fey.Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you for the response! It's super helpful!

For the second question, my husband was talking about if character sets would be more helpful than tilesets.
I feel like, since RMMV has a character generator, tilesets are more valuable; but then again, having character sets that match the tileset style is also important.

I agree that feeling passion from another person's project makes it more enjoyable. The first RPG Maker game I made, back in RM2K, had drawings for when characters used special moves in battle; I was inspired by Final Fantasy summons. So when I see custom art in battle skills, it takes me back.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think character sets would be nice too, but as with tile sets, there needs to be enough to make a game with, otherwise they got to blend in well with the RTP for me to consider getting them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Gave my avatar an update, stay safe, people!
I'm currently available for hire for scripting (and perhaps other things).
Also, don't worry, the Advanced Minimap plugin is a work in progress.
Hallelujah! Work is getting stricter on humans in the store.
Day 3 of mapping... at least the whole game its just one location :3 (Still taking forever...)

Almost 5 am.. and I decide to put up a Youtube video instead of sleeping. It's strangely addicting! :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RitBro