Need help with an event, or a different implementation.

WarpBanshee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My game's battle will all take place on the map in a "turn" based combat using variables to store enemy stats.
Example: You walk up to a cow, you get engaged in combat, you have the options to Attack or Cancel (I want to add more commands.) When you press attack it uses stored variables to deal damage within the event to the mobs variable values.
Where I'm running into a problem is implementing magic/skills. I'm concerned this isn't possible but I HOPE someone can steer me in the right direction or maybe offer some other solution.
I'm currently using Yanfly's Map Select Skill: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Map_Select_Skill_(YEP)
It does what I want within the combat, where I can pull up the skill to use but since it's not in "real" combat it obviously doesn't do anything. So I'm trying to figure out a way where I can use a conditional branch to check for what spell was used and use variables to keep doing the same thing, or if there is a way to store a spell's damage into a variable as common events that I can call within the event. Or any other method that someone might have an idea.Combat Event.png
Right at the last line is where I'm stuck, I cannot figure out a way to pull a certain skills use into the event with conditionals, since it's not an option and I haven't been able to find any other plugins that allow this. If someone knows of one that would solve everything.
Note: Most of the player's controlled variables won't normally be given a value in the event, they will be brought up with a common event - this is mainly for easy testing purposes.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, either you or me are missing something here.
yanfly's map select skill tells you the ID of the skill used - the same way the select item command tells you which item was selected.
so why are you claiming that there is no way to check what skill was selected? That is after all the sole purpose of the plugin, the skills never will do anything at all when selected by the player, the plugin will only return the ID of the skill selected and it is your duty as the developer to react to that with conditional branches.

WarpBanshee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sorry if that wasn't clear, I know the script picks a skill and store it to a variable ID. For simplicity sake how do you CHECK what skill was used in conditional branches is what I'm asking. Unless I literally I'm just overlooking it, the only conditional that exists for Skill is if it is learned or not, I don't see any way to actually check what skill was used. But, as typing this I may actually have just found a solution... If I do a conditional of Variable(SelectSkillID) = Variable(will store each spell to a separate ID) then maybe I have a way out. But, at the heart of that's the issue. Where in conditionals can I actually check for what specific skill was used, because it defaults to If (Actor) has (Skill) - I want it to check which skill was used, not just if they learned it.
Or if anyone knows of a way to store a skill to a variable - where I can make Skill x = Variable y in common events, I'm searching for a plugin that does it with a custom formula but no luck yet.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you don't check the skill, you check the variable.

let's assume the player selects the attack skill. that has the ID = 1. so the variable given will get the number 1. and then you check if the variable contains 1, and if yes you know that the attack skill was selected.

this is also how you check for all game data - you use a control variable to load the game data into a variable, and then check the number that is now contained in the variable.

WarpBanshee

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
WOW. I feel so foolish... I didn't realize that his script was actually storing the Skill ID TO the variable. I just thought it was creating a new variable so I had a way to reference it, which I could not figure out how. Because, it's WAY simpler than what I was trying to do... Thank you so much. I don't understand how I got on the train of thought I did - but here we are. Solved!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Remember guys: Drink water and workout is important too! Don't stay too much time on the PC working! :D
Ami
--- Quest For Female ---

Guild Leader: Ladies,you got a Job for today. You have to Battle with Marauder,only Female must to this Job.
F.Magic Knight: So,only Female can do this?
Heroine: I can't wait for this!
Gunner Lady: Well,i can use the Seduction Skill to them,It's effective for Male Target
F.Knight: You always use that?
RPG Maker MZ just crashed, please tell me I didn't just lose 4 hours of progress.
>be me with a separate game for testing
>NPC doesn't stay in new position after leaving the map
>looking for tutorials, nothing useful
>checks plugin of save even location and installs it
>testing the game

"Oh... IT'S WORKING, IT'S ACTUALLY WORKING!!"
My current peak of boss design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00cassiesmells