roz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hello all, new and novice to rpg maker! Been messing around with it for a few weeks and came up with some ideas, just having a heck of a time getting it to function properly. So far ive used the troops encounter battle event page to remove a party member via the actor hp condition @ 0. It will remove them from the group if a resurrection skill isnt used that fight. After the battle I made it so I receive a key Item to resemble the actors remains, and a healer type NPC to resurrect them from remains. I got it working so each time i take them remains to the healer, it will spawn the actor and text to allow them back into the group. Now i got it working with 1 group member but the problem is when 2 or more actors die, its still only still shows the 1 group member has left the party, and the others are still there with 0 HP. Not sure if i need to use multiple battle event pages for this or if 1 will work. Havent been coding that long so still new to it all. hopefully someone can give me some tips on how to fix this :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) please use paragraphs and new lines to write your description, that text block is almost unreadable.

2) please give screenshots of how your events are, we need to see the commands to help

3) regular battles end with victory before the last troop events can be processed, resulting in anything on the last kill to not work. There are ways around this, but it sounds as your problem is a bit different.
which is why we need the screenshots...

roz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is what my common events and battle events look like. thank you for the reply.

Attachments

• Screenshot_11.png
    Screenshot_11.png
    145.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_7.png
    Screenshot_7.png
    313.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_8.png
    Screenshot_8.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 4

roz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
using these for the healer NPC, it seems to be working after obtaining the "remains" item

Attachments

• Screenshot_12.png
    Screenshot_12.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_14.png
    Screenshot_14.png
    138.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_16.png
    Screenshot_16.png
    149.6 KB · Views: 4

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OK, those events are horrible. Let's start with the basics.

1) ALWAYS NAME your switches and variables.
that is not only so that you know what you used the switch and variable for, but also to mark that it is already used and should not be used elsewhere.
there are several plugins that use variables and switches for interaction, and if you don't configure those plugins to unused switches AND name those switches to signifyy that they are already used, you will have one hell of bughunting as soon as a switch is used double.

2) NEVER chain events, no matter what.
if something is supposed to do multiple things, then have those multiple things in a single event.
having one event switch on another event like you did with the troop events and switch 16 is a bad idea, the effect should be done in the first event as well as that already checks for HP=0 (which is the automatic condition of the death state)

3) don't make multiple checks for the same
multiple conditional branches for the same condition will as best result only slow down your game, and as worst result mess up your game logic. But they will NEVER help you.
in your case that goes both for the common event (the event is already conditioned to switch 1 in the properties, so the conditional branch will alwayss be true and can never fail) and for the map event (the two switch conditions are for cases where you want to check two different switches and both need to be on, checking the same condition twice does nothing).

-------------------------------

As for your events, don't use switches at all.
for each actor, make a single troop event conditioned on actor HP =0.
in that troop event, give the party the item of "actor xy remains"

in the healer event, make one page conditioned on each remains asking for the revival, revive the actor and remove the remains.

that is all you need, absolutely no need for complex switches or parallel common events and so on.

roz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I do agree my events were looking pretty horrible. Ill redo everything and see how it works this time! Thank you Andar.

roz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got it to fully work the way I intended though I'm sure theres still a more optimal way upon doing it.

Having a common event for each character that checks if they are in the party for after the battle, and if so~ it will check if they have deathstate and remove them from the party if true. This way it won't instantly drop from from party mid battle.

All battle event needs to be is a switch to turn it on.

Attachments

• Screenshot_21.png
    Screenshot_21.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20.png
    Screenshot_20.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 1

eomereolsson

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, after @Andar 's harsh but fair critique of the technical aspects of your eventing, I just wanted to drop in and say that the game mechanic you are implementing is pretty cool. Nice work :rhappy:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Messing around with fragment shaders (filters). This thing is HUGE and I'm surprised almost no one makes good use of. Even the number of plugins that do this stuff are limited.
ScreenShot_6_28_2022_3_2_40.png

There's 7 main areas in the game that are all connected. This train get's you from an underground lab to the center of someone's subconscious. inside the train you can talk to some of the passengers. but going to the top of it, there's battles.
Speedrunning all character portraits just so they all have the same quality. Not sure if this was a good idea, but now I'm almost done.
We now have a gameplay video!
DrBuni wrote on Akiritas's profile.
That is a cute Link picture, reminds me of the Samurai Jack artstyle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dstroya