Need help with class selection

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by obrachiever, Apr 7, 2014.

1. obrachiever

obrachiever The underachiever Member

First Language:
    english
    Alright, so I have started making a new game and I need some help with the class selection portion. I would like the player's class to be determined by the actions that they make in the opening sequence. So far, If a player chooses to do a certain action, it adds a variable +1 to one class, while it subtracts a variable -1 from the other two classes. The problem is that if the player chooses a certain set of actions it is possible to have two classes with the same amount of points leaning toward them. I know this sounds a bit confusing, but any help regarding my issue is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. dinhbat3

dinhbat3 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The answer depends on how you want to handle the problem really.

You could redesign the point values. You could have a priority of classes so that if 2 are tied one has precedence over the other. You could let the player decide between the 2. You could start with a random variable in each class. You could decrease the number of actions that decide making it easier to get situations where there isn't an even number.

Without knowing what tactic you want this question isnt really answerable. =\

Any point system like this will likely have results that can be equal so I would suggest that you condition them with a certain precedence. Then build your conditions according to that list.

~ Dinhbat

3. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I think a simple way is to simply add/remove questions so that you will never have a tie at the end... basically, make the number of questions equal to the number of classes + 1. I do believe that is the smallest safest number (aside from a single question type).

like if you have three classes, you should give either 1 question (though this might be pointless, why not choose class directly?) or at least 4 questions so that it will at least be 2-1-1...

If you want more, make sure it's not a multiple of the class number

like if you have three classes, the questions should NOT be 3,6,9 and so on

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  4. obrachiever

First Language:
    english
    How would I go about making one class have more priority over the other in the case of a tie?

5. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    you can set up a priority tree using an array for example... but why do an if-tie situation when you can easily avoid it from happening anyways?

It's like choosing between prevention and cure...

6. dinhbat3

dinhbat3 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    4 questions wouldn't work with 3 classes...

The player can pick A x2, B x2, C x0

5 questions also wouldn't work.

The player can pick. A x2, B x2 C x1 

Multiples of 3 also would not work.

And so on and so forth...

It really depends on how many class options there are though. If we are going the point value change/number of things to add point option. I would go with priority tree =\

~ Dinhbat

7. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    IMHO, the priority tree makes it somehow that the player has less control... since in case his decisions lead to a tie, then the developer's choice between the two will the one given to him... so in a sense, he doesn't have full control

but oh well, you can make the questions into branching ones actually...

like the first question is meant to know if you have an inkling for a general type (like between warriors and mages) and it gets specific as questions go on...

8. dinhbat3

dinhbat3 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah.. You lose the choice aspect when ties come about...

You could do a check to see if there is a tie, then give them one last task which with 2 outcomes. each affecting one positively

~ Dinhbat

9. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

First Language:
    Tagalog
    I'd prefer the nested (General -> Specific) questions path than a polled questions path... it seems to be the easiest to implement, while retaining the value of choices... and in that case too, the gravity of each individual choice becomes greater

10. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just setup the questions in a way/make some add more then 1 point, It's really just that simple. 

Alternatively you can add a tie breaker question if the player answers the questions in a way that would cause a tie.

I don't like the class priority suggestion people are praposing, as that would make the choosing process unbalanced at best(aka it will be especially hard to get the one class, if not impossible)

11. SoulPour777

SoulPour777 Crownless King Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Always do a conditional tie breaker. You don't want to risk a big eventing just to take care of it, right? If the variables would become equal as the other, you can always find ways to actually decide which class should be picked:

• reset and choose
    • random
    • conditional event - why not create an event that would perfectly determine which class should be chosen when two variables or more are equal to each other? How? Make a conditional event where, it automatically chooses that class because of the chosen event. This means that this event also varies on 2 or more routes (depends with the maker)

12. obrachiever

First Language:
    english
    Thanks for the input guys, I think I have it figured out now!