ArcKaarisun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello,
I hope that I am posting this in the correct location. This is for RPG Maker MV. So I'll get right to it!
I am having trouble with events interacting with other events. In short, I need one NPC to wake up another NPC by hitting him/her. I have an "Autorun Event" with dialog and movement routes setup up all the way to the point I need. I have one NPC hit the other NPC but now I need the sleeping NPC to change from laying down to standing up. Not sure how to accomplish this. Maybe via switches of some sort or a conditional branch? I'm Lost, please help.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you done a few tutorials? There's one built into the engine, and you should try to work your way through at least one series on YouTube - there's stuff by Echo607, SumRndmDde, DriftWood Gaming off the top of my head. They should all cover how pages on events work.

The only thing you need on the second NPC is a page 2 tab with a switch condition, and set the image to the regular standing up character. (I like to use a self-switch to save on clutter in the global switch list, but that requires a script command to toggle it - it can be easily Googled if you want to try that route)

Then the entirety of the cutscene code is in your first event. At the appropriate point you set the switch to make the other event change pages, then just keep going - you can control both/all events from one place.

Warilized

Random Encounter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can change character graphics via change graphic command or move route command.

If the scene is completely scripted, you don't need any switch at all, just a well organized event commands would do the trick.

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also dont bother putting any event contents in the other event. when making cutscenes its best to just have the 1 event control all the other event's.
at most you'd only ever need 1 switch (or variable if these events end up having multiple different cutscenes later on) at the very end of the cutscene if the NPC has a different interaction or sprite from that point on.

excessive info because you dont always need regular switches at the end of cutscenes:
normally self switches can only be changed by the event that it is in (ie. event B self switch commands dont effect event A's self switches) but there is a script call that can change self switches on different events (even on different maps). $gameSelfSwitches.setValue([MapID, eventID, 'A'], true/false)
example:
$gameSelfSwitches.setValue([2, 7, 'A'], true)
turns on self switch A for event (uses the default name) EV007 on map 2

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can change character graphics via event command or move route command.

If the scene is completely scripted, you don't need any switch at all, just a well organized event commands would do the trick.
I don't see a way to do it via event command, but the move route is a good point! It depends, then, on how the OP wants the event to persist if the map is visited again later.

Warilized

Random Encounter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't see a way to do it via event command, but the move route is a good point! It depends, then, on how the OP wants the event to persist if the map is visited again later.
The "event" thing is just a placeholder text because I forgot the name of the command, haha.
Iirc it's Change Graphic, or something.

ATT_Turan

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Iirc it's Change Graphic, or something.
You can only do that on actors (if you see something I missed, feel free to correct me!). But you're correct that you can definitely do it on other events via Move Route.

ArcKaarisun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
also dont bother putting any event contents in the other event. when making cutscenes its best to just have the 1 event control all the other event's.
at most you'd only ever need 1 switch (or variable if these events end up having multiple different cutscenes later on) at the very end of the cutscene if the NPC has a different interaction or sprite from that point on.

excessive info because you dont always need regular switches at the end of cutscenes:
normally self switches can only be changed by the event that it is in (ie. event B self switch commands dont effect event A's self switches) but there is a script call that can change self switches on different events (even on different maps). $gameSelfSwitches.setValue([MapID, eventID, 'A'], true/false)
example:
$gameSelfSwitches.setValue([2, 7, 'A'], true)
turns on self switch A for event (uses the default name) EV007 on map 2
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied. It has been of great help. So you the help I received, I made it all the way to the end of my event. Transferred the player to the next screen as intended. However, once I return to the previous map the event (npc) I left blank that was being controlled by the main npc event still appears. I need it gone. I did the self switch fix on it but it makes the event disappear at the start of the event. I just want it to be gone after returning to the map. Again, this is the empty controlled event, not the controlling event. Thanks again!!!

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the script call i mentioned earlier can control self switches for other events.

ArcKaarisun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all, thank you to everyone who replied. It has been of great help. So you the help I received, I made it all the way to the end of my event. Transferred the player to the next screen as intended. However, once I return to the previous map the event (npc) I left blank that was being controlled by the main npc event still appears. I need it gone. I did the self switch fix on it but it makes the event disappear at the start of the event. I just want it to be gone after returning to the map. Again, this is the empty controlled event, not the controlling event. Thanks again!!!
I GOT IT!!! The script call to control events solved my latest issue. Thank you to all that replied. You are godsends!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A certain person better sell his stock while he still can, because it looks like it's going to take an unrecoverable nose dive.
7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otwm