Need help with importing maps into VX Ace.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Nothing I've found on here or anywhere else has worked. Don't know what I'm missing. There is no effect at all. I'm using Yami Engine Ace - Overlay Mapping. I tried using a clean project to make sure it wasn't due to a scripting conflict. No change.

Attachments

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When you claim that you have tried something that you found around the internet, make sure you link what you have tried as a reference that you actually tried it. Also when you ask support for the script, make sure you link to the said script.

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Looking at the script and your pictures, I can see an obvious error
The script says in the instructions...
Put all of your overlay into Graphics/Overlay.
Your pictures say that you are using Graphics/Parallaxes or graphics/system

The file is the ground layer for map 6 with variable 1.
Your pictures tell me you are trying to put this on map 1

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RGSSx Script Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tanarex
the one critical point that a lot of people miss with yami's overlay script is the configuration of the variables.

Have you configured them correctly? If yes, which variables have you choosen to use in your project?
And if you don't know what I'm talking about you're one of the 50% of people using that script that failed to configure it before using it, with usually a lot of strange errors happening as a result.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Tanarex
You didn't answer my questions from above

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I don't know how to config the variables. I was just trying to copy my mappers work. If only I was getting errors. At least then I'd know it was registering.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, you're not getting an error because the script works exactly as intended - you just configured it wrong, that is why it doesn't do what you want.
I strongly suggest you follow the link to the tutorial "how to use a script" in my signature to learn how to handle scripts correctly.

The problem is that the script allows for dynamic changes in all layers. This can for example be used to create timed light overlays where different light overlay pictures are displayed based on a time variable, or animated ground because three or four different ground pictures are switched every few frames.

That is what the second number in ground1-1 is about - the first one is the map ID and the second one is a counter in case of several ground pictures to be switched for each other.
And that switch is done by a variable assigned inside the overlay script. Place a 1 inside that variable and picture ground1-1 will be used. Place a 4 inside the variable and picture ground1-4 will be used. And if the picture ground1-4 does not exist then nothing will be displayed.

Because you have not configured the variables correctly to a variable that you reserved exactly for this use, the variable is used twice now - by the script and for something else in some random event anywhere in your game. In that event you changed the variable to something other than 1, and the script now tries to display not ground1-1 but ground1-? with an unknown number at the second position, depending on what you have done with that variable.

That is one of the most important lessons on using scripts: they ALWAYS need to be configured. Not configuring one of the more complex scripts is a guarantee for failure. You always need to read the script for the instructions on how to configure it or you will always cause problems for yourself.

In fact, this very script was one of the examples I used in the tutorials exactly because it cannot be used without being configured. Unfortunately an old forum update has messed up the examples in the tutorial, but I hope you can still learn what to do.

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Using Gimp and a tutorial I found here I was able to figure out how to add a map to my game. I just had to make an empty map that was the exact same size as the map I was importing from the parallax mapping folder. Then click on parallax background the map properties and on the map you want. Click show in the editor. And I think you need to use the original tileset you needed to make the map under tileset. Now, I just got figure out how to make my characters get unstuck and how to fix a map's sized without it getting blurry.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Without using an overlay picture for the upper layer though, remember that the map's parallax image is always under the player. So if you have for example a tree in the parallax, the player will always be above that tree..

Tanarex

Scrub
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Oh, I'm not making the maps. Just importing them. I couldn't even find the different layer feature in Gimp. I'm not very good at this computer stuff. My tagline should be "I almost know what I'm doing."

Nightblade50

Developer of "Delta Origins"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English, French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
To parallax. Once the map is done, you'll have two files. One is the layer that the player walks on and cannot walk on. The other is the layer the player walks under. To illustrate, here is a basic map I did a while back.

Lower layer:
ground1-1.png
Upper layer:
par1-1.png
Name the lower layer groundx-1, and upper layer parx-1. Substitute x for the map ID - ex. ground1-1 for Map001.
Place them in an Overlays folder inside Graphics; configure variables in Yami's script, and you should be set

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
@Tanarex your images should actually be separated already into "layers" if someone else made them.. Like you should have a file for the ground layer and another file for the upper layer..

On the editor, you use the ground layer as the map parallax and the upper layer is used via show picture event command.

If your map size is same as window size, you shouldnt need a parallax overlay locking script/plugin but if your map is bigger, you need a lock script because pictures are by default locked to the screen not to the map...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm an adult married woman

Being a hobbyist dev and also loving my job is like nothing to lose during both busy days and holidays ~ ♥
I tried to free some space in my phone and this is what I find: https://framapic.org/Dio090k00QQ6/8tiNZ3AV5IYw.png
...Almost 60% of all images in my gallery is just that- books and notes and guides...
I've bought a set of Harry Potter to entertain myself. However, my crazy geography homework accounts for more than half of my homework.
Girls with swords are cool on their own. Then I give them guns. *Profit*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssalum