EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've been playing and using what I've learned in the Events! game but some stuff is still quite complicated for me. I'm still a beginner with making games and I'm focusing on a horror survival game. Currently, the issue I'm coming across is having an event triggered by using an item. More specifically, a conditional branch.

I'm trying to set up a short interraction between the player and a npc. The player recieves a letter from the npc, and is then supposed to read the letter causing the npc to vanish. I had it all figured out and working but now it just doesn't seem to want to work. I want to keep it so the player can move around before having to read the letter but can't progress until they do.

So far, the npc has reverted back to either vanishing before the player has a chance to read the letter, or you need to talk with the npc to initiate the vanish condition. I've tried running as parallel but it just loops (may try a "erase event" as a fix). I even set everything back to what it was before, and the same issue is happening. If anyone would like to help, I can send screen shots.

1596488166452.png1596488186967.png

Last edited:

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It would help us help you if you could please post pics of your event, then someone could see if you made a mistake somewhere.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It would help us help you if you could please post pics of your event, then someone could see if you made a mistake somewhere.
Done, for some reason if I mess with how this event is set up it just doesn't activate period. I'm thinking of restarting this event from scratch

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Just have the item connect to a common event that turns on a switch. That's a way you can have the player read the text first before progressing

Then have the last page for the NPC be blank, and require the switch to be active

Or you could have the NPC require a switch to be on, and the letter turns off the switch

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just have the item connect to a common event that turns on a switch. That's a way you can have the player read the text first before progressing

Then have the last page for the NPC be blank, and require the switch to be active

Or you could have the NPC require a switch to be on, and the letter turns off the switch
I've been trying to get that to work but the npc just stopped appearing altogether, not matter what I did. So I'm starting it from scratch and going to test it out cause I had it working yesterday, and now its not working at all.

I'll give it a try though. I just don't want the item to keep turning it on and off lol

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Part of the problem I see is that you have that event page 2 set as a parallel process, meaning that it runs until it cannot run any longer, but I don't see that you have it set to turn off at any point, so it's basically a loop. The other issue is that that same page is conditioned to be ON when self switch A is ON and the switch GO OUTSIDE is ON, but it's on that page that the Go Outside switch is actually turned ON.

You're better off not using this as a parallel process. If you are required to talk to an NPC to move things along, simply leave the trigger as player activate. Then to move over to the next page of this event, you'll need to possibly change the end of the event to activate self switch B, then on page 3 of the event have the self switch B is ON as a requirement.

Also, it doesn't make sense to have an event page to require switch X to be ON but only have that switch X turned ON in that same event page, it will never happen.

@Oddball has the best option I believe. If you want the player to read a letter that is in the inventory, set up that letter to trigger a common event and turn ON whichever switch you need to move your story along.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I had it working yesterday just fine. I went to add in another event to transfer the player back into the building and then everything started messing up, so much so that the npc just stopped appearing no matter what changes I made.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Now my autorun events aren't working...

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you have a bunch of events on one map that should be working together, as part of the same scene, it's better to have one master event that controls all the other events. Then everything is narrowed down to that one master event, this is easier to diagnose problems when you have them because there is only one place to look.

Also, unless you can permanently erase an auto-run event (basically by switching it to a blank page with no way to get out of it) then it will keep restarting every time you go back to the map it is on. Using the event command 'erase event' only works for that instance on the map, the event would come back if the player leaves the map and then returns.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you have a bunch of events on one map that should be working together, as part of the same scene, it's better to have one master event that controls all the other events. Then everything is narrowed down to that one master event, this is easier to diagnose problems when you have them because there is only one place to look.

Also, unless you can permanently erase an auto-run event (basically by switching it to a blank page with no way to get out of it) then it will keep restarting every time you go back to the map it is on. Using the event command 'erase event' only works for that instance on the map, the event would come back if the player leaves the map and then returns.
So, what I was trying to do was:

The player is supposed to get called out to meet someone. When they leave the building they're in, the person they are supposed to meet comes out after them, and calls to them. They walk up to the player and hand them a letter. Once the player reads the letter, the npc was supposed to vanish.

I had it working perfectly fine yesterday in a master event but it completely stopped working for some reason and I can't figure out why so I'm starting the whole process from scratch.

HumanNinjaToo

The Cheerful Pessimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, so it sounds like autorun is the way to go if you want the NPC to automatically walk up to the player and give them the letter. Then you would need to turn off the auto run event by switching it to a blank page by activating a self switch. To keep an NPC event standing where you would like, turn ON another switch as you turn off the autorun event; this switch will make the NPC event appear where the autorun NPC would disappear. Then after the player reads the letter, have the letter turn OFF the switch that made the NPC event appear so the NPC will disappear now that the letter has been read. Now you have gotten rid of the autorun version of the NPC and you've gotten rid of the stationary NPC event that is supposed to disappear after the letter is read.

Sometimes starting from scratch can be helpful though if you get lost in your own event. My advice is to use comments to tell yourself what your doing and to possibly break up the different parts of the event. I use them alot just to help me keep track of where in the event I am.

Oddball

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'll give it a try though. I just don't want the item to keep turning it on and off lol
Just put "if switch N is off, turn switch N on" it won't toggle the switch unless you specificly tell the event to do that. Even with "Turn switch N on" it won't toggle it, you have to indicate in the event if on, turn off in for it to switch from on to off

Last edited:

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I still can't seem to have an item be a trigger for something else.

I started a small test project to try and figure this out.

Something that SHOULD be simple... an npc walks up to the player and gives them a potion, player uses potion and the use of that potion is supposed to trigger the npc to ask if they player liked the potion.

Its. Not. Working.

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just want to mention the thing with the Error in your Pictures in the first Post.

Only the highest Eventpage ID which is meating its conditions will be active.

In your setup:
If self switch A is on, than page 3 will run because highest page id and page conditions are met.
Page 2 will never run even if its Conditions are met, atleast when it is setup like this.

That could cause extra problems while you try to solve the code stuff. Hope this helps.

EcchiSamurai

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Just want to mention the thing with the Error in your Pictures in the first Post.

Only the highest Eventpage ID which is meating its conditions will be active.

In your setup:
If self switch A is on, than page 3 will run because highest page id and page conditions are met.
Page 2 will never run even if its Conditions are met, atleast when it is setup like this.

That could cause extra problems while you try to solve the code stuff. Hope this helps.
I eventually got it set up the way I'm satisfied with, at least for my first game ever. Someone suggested I play a game about Events and its honestly helped me out quite a bit, I used to put the control switches and self switches in the game event page only to realize I was basically creating glitching in my own code...

Something I guess I had to learn anyway since I'm still very new to this stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Now RPG Maker has brought him here. He will never be rid of his need for it. He hates and loves the RPG Maker, just as he hates and loves himself. Featherbrain's life is a sad story. Yes, Featherbrain, he was called. Before the RPG Maker found him. Before it drove him mad.
Really struggling with XP animations but my game deserves my best.
I think the characters are really too short. Should at least add a little more
Just the legs should be longer.
Ami
--- Survival For RPGist ---

Survivalist: I going to Test you: How to make the Fire.
F.Mage: That easy. (Preparing the Spell) EXPLOSIVE!!!
(an Explosion on the Wood Branch then Fire is Appeared)
F.Mage: (Proud Face) See?
Survivalist: (Angry Tone) MAGIC ISN'T ALLOWED!!!
Recent threads, and my very poor algorithm for my minimap plugin have made me face the fact that I need to review algorithms and such.

Going through Cracking the Coding Interview now. I am so excited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goblin_Julius