Need help with making a custom menu(?)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by TheAspieFox, Jul 25, 2016.

1. TheAspieFox

TheAspieFox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    So, here's what I'm trying to do. My game will have multiple parts/stories/perspectives to play through, each being able to be played in whatever order the player wants. 

I want to create a menu using pictures and events to essentially dictate what map/story to send the play to. In this, there will be a collage of all of the playable characters' stories, and the player would have the ability to scroll through the line of characters, left and right arrows keys used, to highlight the individual characters to select which one they want to play. When a character is selected, they would have a glow around their outline. The thing is that all characters will be silhouettes/half-opacity when the game starts and each story the player completes will have its respective character fully visible, and this would continue until all of them are visible, creating the original collage.  

My only idea to go about this is to have a picture for every character-- one silhouette/half-opacity, and one fully visible, and each of those also having a glow around the character (so, four pictures in total per character), and then to use Conditional branches to start at the far-left side of the screen with the first character, then every time the right arrow key is pressed, to change the shown picture to reflect the illusion of the cursor moving around the line of characters, then when they select a character, the event would send them to the respective map and the game would continue on as normal. 

However, I'm having a lot of trouble executing this. On paper it's great, in practice it's not, and I'm a little stumped.  Is there a plugin that exists for this? Or is there some way of going about this that I don't know about, or that is more efficient? 

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A menu is not a game mechanic so this question does not belong here.  "How do I...?" queries should be in the Support forum for the engine you are using.  However, the info under your avatar does not include this, so I do not know where to move it to.  I could guess that the use of the word "plugin" means MV, but some VX Ace users who are new mix that up with scripts (and vice versa).

Please advise what engine you are using (and you might also consider editing your profile to include the info under your avatar) and whether you want to do this using a plugin/script or if you would prefer to do it some other way, as that will determine which forum this thread goes to.

3. TheAspieFox

TheAspieFox Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    My bad.  ;-;  

I just edited the profile to show MV as the primary use (because that is what I use). 

The thing is that I would prefer to do this via event commands, but if there's some plugin that I might have missed, that someone knows about, or whatever, then that'd be fine too. I just don't know because as of now it's an idea I'm trying to get working, but am having a lot of difficulty with. 

4. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In that case, we'll try MV Support, as that is where you will get advice on whether or not it is possible to do this with eventing.  It may be, though, that you will have to use a plugin, but we'll see what Members can come up with.

Moving