EsteeDee

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So basically the idea is you have to search every book case in this area of the game (5 book cases) to unlock a dialogue option from a npc to get a key. I have no idea how to do that, I tried variables but that didn't work out for me and i'm stumped so some help would be greatly appreciated!

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How did variables not work? It sounds like all you need to do is each time they find a book or whatever it is they are searching the book cases for, that adds 1 to a variable. And the NPC unlocks the dialog when the variable is 5.

But without knowing what you tried and how it didn't work, it's hard to advise further.

Unisoft

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How did variables not work? It sounds like all you need to do is each time they find a book or whatever it is they are searching the book cases for, that adds 1 to a variable. And the NPC unlocks the dialog when the variable is 5.

But without knowing what you tried and how it didn't work, it's hard to advise further.

Need to ensure event pages and self switches are used to prevent player looking at same bookcase five times if using this solution.

you could also turn each event’s self switch on and then use if statements in the script option to check all five self switches are on.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
each bookcase increase variable +1 but also turn on self switches so cant just talk to 1 case 5 times.

EsteeDee

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Yes that's exactly what I did but it never triggered the dialogue tree, I'm guessing I messed up the variable process some how. Basically you don't get anything from the book cases you just search them and once you talk to the npc saying you didnt find anything it unlocks a new dialogue tree where they give you a key for the room that does have it....if that makes sense lol

Lady_JJ

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Set up 5 events, 1 for each bookcase. Each of the 5 events will be similar, if not exact.
Page 1-(no conditions) Dialogue that says something like "You search this bookcase, but find nothing", add 1 to your searchBookcases variable, set self switch A on
Page 2 (self switch A as condition)-Dialogue that says "You already searched this bookcase, but it never hurts to look again. Nope, still nothing."

NPC
Page 1-(no conditions) Dialogue "Try searching the bookcases. I'm sure you haven't searched them all."
Page 2-(condition variable searchBookcases >= 5) "You searched all the bookcases and didn't find anything? Oh, heh heh, silly me, I forgot. I locked it in another room. Here's the key."

EsteeDee

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Set up 5 events, 1 for each bookcase. Each of the 5 events will be similar, if not exact.
Page 1-(no conditions) Dialogue that says something like "You search this bookcase, but find nothing", add 1 to your searchBookcases variable, set self switch A on
Page 2 (self switch A as condition)-Dialogue that says "You already searched this bookcase, but it never hurts to look again. Nope, still nothing."

NPC
Page 1-(no conditions) Dialogue "Try searching the bookcases. I'm sure you haven't searched them all."
Page 2-(condition variable searchBookcases >= 5) "You searched all the bookcases and didn't find anything? Oh, heh heh, silly me, I forgot. I locked it in another room. Here's the key."
Thank you so much! I was able to finish my prologue thanks to your little tutorial there. I really appreciate!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Daz3D has the weirdest number scheme for model generations...
Genesis 4 is the 4th generation and oldest currently available, Genesis 1 is the 5th generation, Genesis 2 is the 6th, 3 is the 7th.... And then it goes Genesis 8. So 4, 1, 2, 3, 8. So when looking through there store you have to remember that sometimes they'll say 6 but they mean 3, and vice versa. :kaoswt:
Would opening a topic with the tutorial be interesting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanitorJoe276