Loltoheaven777

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I decided to play some older RPG Maker games recently, and I need help with rtp. I installed the 2000 rtp from this site, but it still gives the error message "Please install RTPe.exe. Can someone please help?

AkiraKotatsuhime

炬燵姫
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
DE / ドイツ語
Primarily Uses
N/A
A little historic lesson to give a bit of context why it doesn't work:
When RPG2000 originally released, the RTP was and to this very day is full of japanese filenames that the program and engine are not able to handle if not executed on a japanese system or with the help of external software. So what Don Miguel did back then for his unauthorized translation that got spread over the internet was to change all the filenames to only contain latin letters and arabic numbers since these are safe to use on ANY Windows computer system.

So if you wanted to play japanese games along with english, german, russian, italian, etc. ones, you had to install the original RTP and the "Don RTP" into the same directory since the registry entry where the RTP path is stored is the same in both.

Then there is the Steam and Humble release of RPG2000 1.60/1.61/1.62, where filenames were changed again, but not to the same as they were unofficially named before. To make the japanese and english releases be able to co-exist and old games still work, the Windows registry path was altered to be in "KADOKAWA" instead of "ASCII" (and since 1.50 partially "Enterbrain" except for RTP).

So what to do about that?:
If a game is launched that is using an older version of the engine, it looks up if an RTP is installed and registered in "ASCII". I'm very sure it won't be okay to offer you a link to an unofficial RTP version in the official RPG Maker forums, but that's what you need to install in order to still play these games ("RTPe.exe" was the filename it was commonly distributed as). Sorry and good luck.

Regarding RPG2003: The problem is very similar, but in some cases even worse since there are multiple unofficial RTPs in multiple languages. It can be a mess to play a game made in this before version 1.10 without FullPackageFlag being set and all required files present.

~炬燵あ

Loltoheaven777

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
A little historic lesson to give a bit of context why it doesn't work:
When RPG2000 originally released, the RTP was and to this very day is full of japanese filenames that the program and engine are not able to handle if not executed on a japanese system or with the help of external software. So what Don Miguel did back then for his unauthorized translation that got spread over the internet was to change all the filenames to only contain latin letters and arabic numbers since these are safe to use on ANY Windows computer system.

So if you wanted to play japanese games along with english, german, russian, italian, etc. ones, you had to install the original RTP and the "Don RTP" into the same directory since the registry entry where the RTP path is stored is the same in both.

Then there is the Steam and Humble release of RPG2000 1.60/1.61/1.62, where filenames were changed again, but not to the same as they were unofficially named before. To make the japanese and english releases be able to co-exist and old games still work, the Windows registry path was altered to be in "KADOKAWA" instead of "ASCII" (and since 1.50 partially "Enterbrain" except for RTP).

So what to do about that?:
If a game is launched that is using an older version of the engine, it looks up if an RTP is installed and registered in "ASCII". I'm very sure it won't be okay to offer you a link to an unofficial RTP version in the official RPG Maker forums, but that's what you need to install in order to still play these games ("RTPe.exe" was the filename it was commonly distributed as). Sorry and good luck.

Regarding RPG2003: The problem is very similar, but in some cases even worse since there are multiple unofficial RTPs in multiple languages. It can be a mess to play a game made in this before version 1.10 without FullPackageFlag being set and all required files present.

~炬燵あ
THANK YOU. I'll start searching for the japanese rtp and the don rtp.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Azihayya wrote on ATT_Turan's profile.
Magus avatar homey!
Getting back into the thick of work on Untold Story and it feels great to be back. I'm gonna take what I learned from the Game Jam and try and get some serious work done for the rest of 2021.
The "docs" are honestly soo frustrating. Eg. positionType : "Returns the current position type of the message window." Yes, great. could you please also tell me if 0 was bottom or top, so i don't have to start a playtest to see, because i keep forgetting it all the time, and what are the docs even for, if not that? (it's top btw...)

Here's the combat sprite of Azrael one of the main characters of our game,
with and without weapon.
Hope it's good.
https://discord.gg/Q2uS6Str
The one thing I've always struggled with is creating a story, it halts every single project I've ever worked on. We must be in the twilight zone because I've actually come up with a plot, from beginning to end (it kinda wrote itself). I may very well be on my way to creating my first proper little game, yay!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Napster