Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Its been a while since I've used an RPG Maker, I think the last time was RPGM 2k3. I have RPGM VXA now and have read up on a few things and have been using a combo of MS Paint and GIMP to make my tilesets. My problem is when I create a tileset and import it to RPGM when I use anything from it and load a test game my character cant move, I can spin around on the spot but that's it. Here's the details;

- In Paint I'm using the same pink as I have set to background in GIMP as the background color for graphics that don't take up the whole tile space

- In Paint im using frames of 32 pixel multiples to keep things alined when creating and modifying tiles

- In GIMP I have 2 layers, background set to pink and an invisible overlay layer for dropping my graphics on, both set to 512x512 for B tileset

- I have grid set to 32x32, its on and I have snap to grid

- When I export it I make it a PNG and no compression

- When I Import it to RPGM I set the Alpha and Transparent color to the Pink background in RPGM

- When testing the tileset I copy the default Interior tileset and just load mine into B so I can still use the default auto tiles in A from the RTP

That's it, its probably something really easy that I'm missing from reading and watching vids about GIMP.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Alright, it sounds to me like it isn't GIMP that is the problem here. Have you tried going into the database and making sure that the tilesets have those particular tiles set to passable?

Hollow

(◡‿◡✿)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you made sure that on the B tab, the upper leftmost tile is empty and set to star passability? Because if not then that's probably what's messing you up. 

erQ7fQj.png

Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yes I have the tiles set properly in RPGM but I have my guy starting in the middle of the room away from everything on floor titles from A from the default RTP A autotiles

Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ill try that one sec

Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nope and I can move on the map fine as I am just copying the default Interior titleset and just setting B to mine without any of my titles layed down but as soon as I do my character gets stuck in place

Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Heres pics of the tileset in RPGM and the little room I made to test stuff in, I just have some stuff slapped on there to test with and im glad I tried now b4 I finished a whole thing.

Tileset w Issues.png

Room Test.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fifty613, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

or in this case, you even quadruple-posted.

If you have something to add and your own post is the last post, simply edit that post.

Now to your problem:

If you can turn but not move, then the passability of the tileset is messed up.

There are basically three possibilities where that can happen, and because you pasted together only parts of the settings in your tileset picture, we can't check what's the cause here.

1) The first tile on the B-sheet has to be empty and set to star - if not, the entire map passability is messed up.

2) you place the actor on a position where the tile is either impassable or directional impassable

3) you mixed the A4-ceiling-tiles with regular floor tiles. The ceiling tiles are walkable to allow you to simulate a second level, but you can't move directly from a ceiling tile to a regular floor tile because of internal directional limits.

Please post a screenshot of the full database tab for B-Tiles and indicate which tiles you used, then we can check what the problem might be.

Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Very sorry about that, here's better pictures and the Exported from GIMP .png file I used to upload to RPGM. Some of the items are copied from other tilesets and put on my tileset just to test positioning and to see what certain things look like, could they have copied over some formatting of some kind? Basically i opened the tileset in paint, cut what I needed, modified it in another paint instance, copied and positioned on my tileset in GIMP. Also in my test room pic above im in the middle of the room on floor tiles (I checked) and can only spin around. Its strange because I just put floor from A down, a table and a lamp on the map from B and I could move but in the room with everything stamped down somewhere I'm stuck spinning, could it be just a single tile and if so why just one or certain ones? (Will try and test this, but brings me back to "Is it possible to copy formating from another tileset" when opened & cut from Paint which is just loading the png file for editing on a basic level I thought)

Tileset w Issues 1.png

Tileset w Issues 2.png

Tileset w Issues 3.png

Tileset w Issues 4.png

MBB Test.png

Cadh20000

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What about Tileset tab "A"? you didn't accidentally change anything there did you?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
From what I can see in those screenshots, the most probably cause is a mistake whith the passability settings for the A-Tab when you copied the tileset to the new slots.

Please check them - and remember that the tile you used for the floor in that room has to pictures in the A-Set, so bettewr check both positions for passability...

Fifty613

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Im currently at work but will try these suggestions later, if I can't figure it out I will upload all the tilesets passability as screen shots (A,B,C) Thanks guys for all your help, I know this has to be something easy that Im missing so I will try and troubleshoot as much as I can today and add my findings later. I just wanna make sure that I can create and upload a tileset from start to finnish without issues and have a proper flow to do so; so I dont run into problems later while making actual tilesets. Also in the titleset pics above all I did was copy (right click and copy in RPGM) the interior set and paste it to a new open slot (which was blank as I reset the amt from 5-6) on the tileset tab in the RPGM settings so the passability for A should all be set properly and all I did was load my own B into the set, left everything the same & I have also set the passabilty for B as shown above and cleared all the other tile settings like ladder, counter etc.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I went home and started a brand new test project in RPGM and just slapped down some rug tiles, uploaded my test tileset and stamped stuff down and tested it after I stamped a few at a time and for w/e reason its working fine now...? I followed the same process I did b4 when I tested and had issues. So as far as I can tell it was directional settings as this time I set everything to passable, im good to go now :) thank you so much, its good to know that there's a good, helpful community to rely on, this will make this project alot easier than previous ones. Pic below is what i used this time and got everything stamped down from my test B set and its working just a matter of carefully setting up directions now.

PS. Im still brushing up on my RPGM skills as I haven't made anything since RPGM 2k3 (Prob more than 10 years now) so if you know of any really helpful guides, videos and such for RPGM and GIMP 2 for tilesets would be very much appreciated.

Resolved....png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm familiar with MZ thanks to jam now. I say it's a better working and looking MV. Lots of plugins too and FOSSIL helps alot. It's not bad.
Some more progress <3 and in most important news:
ALPACARAPTOR SPRITE! (not animated yet, though :( )
h4u90Sz.png
Caz
At the risk of giving myself even more work to do, I kinda wanna redraw the faces of the MV RTP to be a little less.. uhhhhh..

mv-redraw.png
Hmm...you'd think in this day and age, what with Japanese Schoolgirls frequenting anime, JRGs and whatever else...that someone might have made some gym clothes for the generator. You know, the ones with the short bloomers.
finished the draft of some of this dude's motions!

mc0xoB4.gif

gonna work on the drafts of the other 3 now before i put detail, need to position these rather tall sprites well on the field

waiting for the term to end so i can get more time w this :kaodes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DevilMortar