Need help with Tilesets

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Blink_North, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Blink_North

Blink_North Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ooooooookay... I barely understand my way around RPG maker. Im learning! But I'm still the ultimate noob. I think I messed up buying MV because all the previous incarnations have TONS of community made resources while MV has like nothing......

That aside, I'm still trying to make a modern themed game in MV. And because of that I've been trying to import community tilesets. But rummaging around the game folders, I found that the game already has some modern resources??? It says they're already in the game but I can't seem to access them when I'm actually in RPG maker. On top of that, I have no idea how to import the sets I've downloaded! I'm so confused and I feel like I've tried just about anything. I'm on a mac btw, so maybe that's why I'm having trouble? I don't know. I literally just need someone to walk me through this because I'm about as lost as u can get in all these folders and menus! If you can help at all, I would really appreciate it!

2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You didn't necessarily make a mistake. MV just has not been out long - less than a year. It takes a long time to make resources and Ace has been out for years. Ace also had the benefit of being able to use some VX graphics as they were the same size.

MV does come with a set of Sci-Fi tiles. When you start a new project they should already be set up, as SF Inside and Outside. Further, there are some additional characters and battlebacks and such that are not installed in a new project, to save space. They can be found in the Base Resource folder and added to your project as needed.

To change a map's tileset, you need to right-click the map name and select edit. There will be a drop down menu showing you the available sets.

As for importing resources, MV was updated to include a Resource Manager like Ace had. It's the yellow file folder looking button next to the character generator and will allow you to import new resources. Additionally you can add them to the tilesets by copying them into the img/tilesets folder in your project's folder.

Once you have the new tiles imported you will need to set up your tilesets. This can be done in the database in the tileset tabs. You can change the maximum number of tilesets and choose which sheets you want where for your new tileset.

Some notes: Not all of the resources you download from creators will be formatted correctly to be imported. You will likely need to use a program such as Photoshop or Gimp to add them into proper tilesheets. Also, you need to be sure to add the new tilesheets to the correct slot. There are 5 types of tiles making up the A sheet and these are very particular about formatting. I'd take some time to read the help manual to learn more about these types of sheets. Most creators will label their tiles with which sheet they should go in.

4. Blink_North

Blink_North Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Wow! Thank you! That's actually super helpful! I'll definitely give the help manuals a read!

mlogan likes this.
  5. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd also suggest reading through some tutorials to learn some basics. Andar has a good series - you can find the link in his signature.