banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi, I'm working on my battle system but I haven't found a way to change the names of certain skills. For example, I want the attack command to have my own custom name that I'll be able to see when I'm actually fighting in the game. If anyone knows of a plugin or if they know how to change a name please let me know.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the attack button is a hardcoded button for skill #1 and its name (like guard for skill #2) is set in the database.

you only need a plugin if you want to dynamically change that, otherwise work with the terms in the database.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the attack button is a hardcoded button for skill #1 and its name (like guard for skill #2) is set in the database.

you only need a plugin if you want to dynamically change that, otherwise work with the terms in the database.
Do you know of any plugins that can do this? Also ty for the fast reply

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Do you know of any plugins that can do this? Also ty for the fast reply
If you're going to use the same Attack command name for all your characters. Just change the name of skill #1 in the database and you're done. If you want each character and/or weapon to have a unique attack command name. Then you will need a plugin. If you need help finding MV plugins: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Main_Page

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you're going to use the same Attack command name for all your characters. Just change the name of skill #1 in the database and you're done. If you want each character and/or weapon to have a unique attack command name. Then you will need a plugin. If you need help finding MV plugins: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Main_Page
It's just one character not a team and yeah not the database but the actual in battle sequences itll still show attack regardless if I change it in the database. That would need a plugin correct?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
but the actual in battle sequences itll still show attack regardless if I change it in the database.
no, when changed in the database correctly it should be changed for all actors.
if it isn't changed then something went wrong with your project.

have you started a new game or loaded a savefile when the old name still appears?
if you go to your project folder, does it contain a www folder? (hope not)

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no, when changed in the database correctly it should be changed for all actors.
if it isn't changed then something went wrong with your project.

have you started a new game or loaded a savefile when the old name still appears?
if you go to your project folder, does it contain a www folder? (hope not)
It does have a www file is that bad?

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well I have 2 project folders and I've been using the other one without the www file. One of the folders has an exe version of the game and then the other file says rpg project in it.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
It's just one character not a team and yeah not the database but the actual in battle sequences itll still show attack regardless if I change it in the database. That would need a plugin correct?
Ah, you're right. I've been using MZ lately and just changing it in the database works fine.

Then yes, you'll need a plugin.

Yanfly has one here: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Weapon_Unleash_(YEP)
However, it does cost money. Too many people were taking his work for free and reselling it as their own. So his plugins are now behind a paywall. However, you can subscribe to his ******* and unlock all his plugins for just $5! And you get to support an amazing plugin maker who has been making plugins and scripts for the RPG Maker engines for quite some time now. His plugins are very beginner friendly.

However, not everyone has the funds to do so. In that regard you can look at Hime's plugins.
These two can both help you out. Though with a little extra work.

Well I have 2 project folders and I've been using the other one without the www file. One of the folders has an exe version of the game and then the other file says rpg project in it.
The www and exe is the deployed version. Use the rpg project one until you're ready to deploy. You can probably delete the www/exe folder if you don't have any work saved to it to avoid confusion.

Also, if you recently made a post. Don't post a second time right below it. Just edit the post right above. Otherwise you bring the fury of the BLUE TEXT. Which is just a moderator telling you not to do so.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, you're right. I've been using MZ lately and just changing it in the database works fine.

Then yes, you'll need a plugin.

Yanfly has one here: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Weapon_Unleash_(YEP)
However, it does cost money. Too many people were taking his work for free and reselling it as their own. So his plugins are now behind a paywall. However, you can subscribe to his ******* and unlock all his plugins for just $5! And you get to support an amazing plugin maker who has been making plugins and scripts for the RPG Maker engines for quite some time now. His plugins are very beginner friendly.

However, not everyone has the funds to do so. In that regard you can look at Hime's plugins.
These two can both help you out. Though with a little extra work.

The www and exe is the deployed version. Use the rpg project one until you're ready to deploy. You can probably delete the www/exe folder if you don't have any work saved to it to avoid confusion.
I don't mind the cost, I expected it and ok good I've been using the correct one. Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it, I'll check out all the plugins.

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I don't mind the cost, I expected it and ok good I've been using the correct one. Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it, I'll check out all the plugins.

No problems. Also it looks like it blocked me from "advertising" his Pat Tree On :^) (dont ban me mods). We be loving & supportin our boi Yanfly in these here forums.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problems. Also it looks like it blocked me from "advertising" his Pat Tree On :^) (dont ban me mods). We be loving & supportin our boi Yanfly in these here forums.
Also one more thing, the plugin doesnt just allow the commands to be changed to an already existing one but also change to a name you've made?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV

One of the folders has an exe version of the game and then the other file says rpg project in it.
Having an www folder means that you have deployed into your project directory, because www is deployment only.
and the problem is that this damages your project by changing the playtest to the deployed folder, which means that the playtest will simply ignore all changes in the project, from database changes to map additions they will simply not be shown in the playtest anymore.

you need to delete the www folder (ONLY the www folder, nothing else) and copy a packages.json file from a new project to overwrite the wrong package file in the damaged project before the playtest will register any of the changes made after that deployment, and then the database change will be in effect without anything else.

EDIT:
and in the future, NEVER deploy into your project directory, there is a reason why RMMV asks for a different output folder.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Having an www folder means that you have deployed into your project directory, because www is deployment only.
and the problem is that this damages your project by changing the playtest to the deployed folder, which means that the playtest will simply ignore all changes in the project, from database changes to map additions they will simply not be shown in the playtest anymore.

you need to delete the www folder and copy a packages.json file from a new project to overwrite the wrong package file in the damaged project before the playtest will register any of the changes made after that deployment, and then the database change will be in effect without anything else.

EDIT:
and in the future, NEVER deploy into your project directory, there is a reason why RMMV asks for a different output folder.
Thanks, I should be fine because i never added any plugins to that file in the first place.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks, I should be fine because i never added any plugins to that file in the first place.
the error I was talking about is NOT limited to plugins, it is also the cause why the attack name change in the database was ignored and a lot more problems.
If you have a www folder in your project directory you need to delete it and replace the packages json before ANYTHING in the editor can be playtested again.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the error I was talking about is NOT limited to plugins, it is also the cause why the attack name change in the database was ignored and a lot more problems.
If you have a www folder in your project directory you need to delete it and replace the packages json before ANYTHING in the editor can be playtested again.
Ok thanks, I'll make sure to do that with the www folder and I'll keep everything else correct?

Silenity

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I tested it in a brand new fresh project in MV. Changing the name actually doesn't affect it in battle.

1611653319195.png
1611653292378.png

Ok thanks, I'll make sure to do that with the www folder and I'll keep everything else correct?

I'm sure you can just completely delete the entire project folder along with everything inside it. And just use your other folder with the RPG project file in it.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that's what I was trying to change, I dont know why they didnt make it function like that. I'll try the plugins, I already tried the one that make it so the attack button is not visible but that's all it does, I just want to change it simple as that.

banoplz

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, that's what I was trying to change, I dont know why they didnt make it function like that. I'll try the plugins, I already tried the one that make it so the attack button is not visible but that's all it does, I just want to change it simple as that.
But I'll still try the other ones

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Changing the name actually doesn't affect it in battle.
I never said changing the skill name, I mentioned the TERMS as that is where the name is stored.

Attachments

• terms.png
    terms.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 5

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

A new RPG Maker music pack is coming out soon! Below is a demo of one of the compositions in the pack, Heroic Battle. More details coming soon!

Trying to build a child-size body. Mostly happy with it except the sideview arms - can't get them to move quite right yet. Anyway, here's the work-in-progress, with an adult for size comparison.
ChildTest-01.gif

I started in VXAce and I liked how the kids flapped their arms so that's why it's just flapping.
A character theme... finally posted some of the music tonight as celebration for 500 followers. I really like how this song came out.
Good night (or day) everyone! :kaohi:
Stimpaks and More.png

WIP of Stimpaks, Radaway, Jet and Psycho. Mentats soon to come. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SillyCatGames