Need Item Creation Template

Discussion in 'Resource Requests' started by TarebearGames, Sep 20, 2016.

1. TarebearGames

TarebearGames Aspiring Game Maker! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good Day everyone!

Tarebear here and I was wondering if anyone had a template where I can just shove my cutie little sprites for my recipes (so bowls of soup, bread) into a big big file. I see people do it all the time but every time I try to make a grid template for 48 x 48 pixels for it, it never looks right? Probably because it's not for MV, but even the Weapons one from RPG Maker MV stock doesn't look right..so should I just mark where each item is and be done with it?

Any grid templates, or even possibly a sheet you've used with everything marked up so I can duplicate the fixtures of it would be AMAZING.

A bit of my process:

I do my work on my iPad Pro then zoom it over to Photoshop on my laptop where I make sure it's the right size and now I'm stuck haha!

2. TarebearGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really hope I put this in the right thread I followed Shaz's link here lol!

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TarebearGames, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

How are you trying to use them - as characters or as tiles for mapping?

4. TarebearGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

@mlogan Will do!! I'll make sure to avoid that from now on! Thank yoh for pointing it to out to me :)

I am trying to use as items for the character to make. Craftable items like in a recipe plugin where you put an apple and a jug or water and ta-da apple juice.

But I have SO MANY that I need to make I just need to have them in one file so I know where they are.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  5. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Well, it's hard to know how to help without knowing how exactly you are using them - and by that I mean, where are you calling the images from. There are many different sorts of graphical files used in MV and they all have a different setup. So, if you are using them as Character Sheets, they need to be set up one way. If you are using them as tiles, a different way. Yes, they will all have a grid of 48 x 48, but the overall sheet dimensions will vary. That is unless you are using them as icons, which would have a grid of 32 x 32. So, that's why I'm struggling to know how best to help.

However, this topic will provide info on character/sprite sheets. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/63612-sprite-sheet-formats-and/

This topic may have the templates you are looking for. http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46839-rpg-maker-mv-templates-and-guideline/

Hopefully one of those will help.

6. TarebearGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mlogan

To give you a bit more context:

I am calling the images from the Characters Sheet like for items and weapons and bottles and such.

They will also sometimes be used as Icons for the "Final Result" to show up in the Recipe book. 

So I would need 2 types of sprite sheets one for the characters and then the others from the Icons of which show the actual finished product in the menu? I am reading those right now! Thanks!

EDIT:

So in testing with the provided Weapons and then the icon set I can see that the weapons is more what I am going to need, but also that I'll need to have something far different.

So with that being said.

For an item that is in the world that can be picked up/dropped, eaten and used and crafted. Would this be what I need?

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 1.42.11 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016
  7. mlogan

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, I would not use the weapons sheet. It has a different grid it seems. You can see the template for it in that second link I posted. It's more a rectangular grid than a square one.

I would do one of two things:

1) If I had the space in my tiles, I would make a tilesheet with the foods on there. A B-E tilesheet is 768 x768 and contains 256 48x48 spaces. (255 if you place it in the B slot, as you will need to leave the upper left tile blank). You can use tile graphics as the graphics for events. Just scroll all the way down in the graphic selection.

2) If I did not have extra room in my tileset, I would make full character sheets. You could put 96 items in one of those. The main thing to note about that is that for each event you would need make sure that in the event you turn off the walking animation (it's a check box under the graphic image) and turn on direction fix. Otherwise, your graphics might change.

8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, and that is why mlogan asked for clarification.

there is no "item" graphics in the entire game - graphics are either weapon graphics, sprite graphics, tile graphics or icon graphics - and those require different sizes.

If you want to use something as an icon (in menues or screens), then it needs to have a pixel size of 32x32 and go into the (single) iconsheet picture in systems.

If you want to use something on the basic map, it needs to have a pixel size of 48x48 and go into one of the tilesheets

If you want to use something as an event graphics (sprite), it can have any size but needs to be provided in multiple format (3x4 single pictures of the same size) for animation and turning.

If you want to use something as a weapon in the sideview battles, then (and only then) it needs to go into the weapon sheet you showed above, and use that format (which again is not 48x48).

So most of your problems come from the fact that you try to force the same size into structures that require different sizes.

And we want you to tell us WHERE you want to use the graphics instead of for what, because the where determines the format you need - and you won't be able to use the same picture at a different position, that would require a different picture.

mlogan likes this.
  9. TarebearGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

@Andar Thank you very much for that clarification! There are so many terms I know I am misusing, and I keep forgetting you guys are not in my head ha!

This needs to span over mostly from my last few moments of digging, Event Graphics (Since recipe making from what I have researched is an event creation). The other Event is to have it spawn and be harvestable by the player (Again an event when you are able to "harvest" a plant in the game and it changes to a picked plant).

But I don't need it to turn, more so it will just go in and out of "Sparkling" or making a "harvesting sound. and shrinking as you put it in your bag, so would that be the animation you speak of?

These will also need to be in menus for access to the crafting from the screen.

No weapons other than a bow and some other swords but I can use what is there.

10. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then you need to make them as a tilesheet (events can use tileset pictures) for the E-Slot, simple 48x48 pixel grid, but the tilesheet needs to be 768x768 pixel large (for 16x16 tiles). If you don't need 256 different items, then you can use the rest for regular mapping tiles.

For the icons, you need either different graphics in 32x32 pixels, or you need to shrink down the tiles for that size.

And please, you don't need to quore the entire post if you you the @username function already...

11. TarebearGames

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar Thanks, learning this whole Forum etiquette so I'm glad you guys are so quick to let me know what's a no-no haha! I got on my laptop for some reason my iPhone keeps wanting to plug in the Quote that I used? Anyway!

But that is great! I'll get that tile sheet made! I haven't calculated my quantity of items and such, but I like to have different tile sheets for certain events. I doubt it will be that way for the Herbs but it might be that big for the Recipes.

Thanks Andar you've really been a big help!!!!!