Need more recruits for "Colonist" - VXA

Discussion in 'Project Recruitment' started by Pixel Brady, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Pixel Brady

Pixel Brady Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Recruitment details are below! If you'd like to be a part of Colonist, just drop a post here or on the blog and we'll talk! :)

Colonist is an exploration/simulation game. There's no combat, no gory battles and wars and no villain to combat. Sound boring? Well you're stuck in the wilderness of a new region with a small group of people ready to set up a new colony in the name of their kingdom far away and they're relying on you to find somewhere safe, they're relying on you to go out into the world and find the materials they need to build, they're relying on you to develop this small group of people into a sustainable village and eventually, a thriving city!

The story is that you are, as stated above, colonising a new region. Once your Town Hall is settled, it will be up to you to explore the lands around the village and find materials and supplies. You have forests and caves to delve into in a search to find wood, ores, minerals and even lost treasures, with which you can return to the village and supply whatever construction you wish, whether it be a shop for more advanced drills or scouting post to help you find better caves to explore. It's your choice! You'll have plenty of responsibility to build up the town, but once it's done, you may well be deserving a promotion, to take on some more tasks to help your village develop to its fullest!

What does it feature?

• Relaxed, combat-free gameplay with a focus on exploration, simulation and discovery
    • A pixel-movement ABS with options to dig freehand with tools and shovels or to fire fancy Drill Guns at the rocks and destroy them from afar!
    • Your decisions are what matters in the development of the village, build what you want first. If you have the materials, you have the choice!
    • Update-based game releases. A base game will be released and extra quests and expansions will be released thereafter to keep playing regular
    • Randomly generated ores and materials, so repeating caves can give different results each time!

Screenies?

None yet, as the game is being rebuilt from scratch with the new team, but there's attached thumbnails of the previous version and the blog (below) will be updated as the game progresses.

Other Details/Blog!

You can check my blog covering details of the progress at Pixel Brady, which will have any other details, plans, updates and such, as this thread will be left with announcements for changes, whereas the blog will be updated regularly with...whatever happens! :D

Who do we need?

• Artistic Troops - We need pretty new tilesets made up for the game, but artists can do anything graphically they like; characters, tiles, parallaxes, maps etc
    • Scripting Soldiers - So far no one in the crew knows anything about scripting, so any scripter at all is a champion. We are using some scripts in game already.
    • Other Contributing Champs - I don't think anything else is essential right now, but that doesn't mean we couldn't use the help. Any and all help is appreciated and we'll gladly take on anyone who's enthusiastic and think they can make a contribution!

Who do we have?

• Pixel Brady - Events, Art, Concept
    • Natumia - Events, Mapping, Concept
    • OniEliteZ
    • (thegirlwithnoname)
    • Samven (if he agrees to join) - Writing

Credits:

• Khas
    • modern algebra
    • Celianna & Lunarae
    • DoctorTodd
    • VM of D.T.

TCE3.png

TCE2.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  2. Samven

Samven Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'd be willing to lend a pen as a writer... What sort of things would you be wanting from me if I were to take the job?

3. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Well so far the story is pretty dead and living on as simple as "it's a new village and you're the explorer". I have a wee idea about a side-story for later, but not been put into it yet. I'm hoping to get a team put together so I can literally restart the game from scratch with whoever's involved to work on it, rather than bringing people into this sketchy demo.

Writing would be anything from tutorials to story, side-quests, NPC dialogue, basically anything that needs to be said and everything that's there for flavour. I've been rushing to get the basic jist of things down for the sake of the ten min demo while focussing on getting the variables and ABS working nicely so haven't put any time into the scripts or graphics at all :(

4. Samven

Samven Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I consider plots and scripts to be my forte, so if you'd like I'd be happy to work on the story and dialogue.

If you want to give me a sample idea for a scene, I could throw together a test of a script for it to see if you like my style enough to keep on board.

5. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Well at the start all we have is the beginning of the village. A cutscene covering the new villagers setting up in the area to really explain what's going on and give the impression that you are there are the important explorer/material collector. That would either lead from or to a quick tutorial/questions room to cover the details of what's going on, whichever suits. Once they're all set, you're sent off to explore a nearby "training cave" for stuff, while they keep setting up and finishing construction of the Town Hall.

That's the main starting area that leads into the first dungeon (that much is covered in the demo, if you have any questions about the feel of what's going on better than my description), since I basically have "hi! the hall is being built, go search a cave" xD

I'm really hoping I can pull a team together for this, and will restart it and make it a decent game, would be great to have solid writing with that :)

6. Natumia

Natumia Experienced Mapper and Eventer Member

First Language:
    English
    I have some decent map making experience, and I am, in my opinion, very good with the events in the RPG Maker. If you need any examples I can work some up and show you quickly. (Went through a recent format so I'm clean on examples.)

You may get a hold of me on Skype if you wish, it maybe easier.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  7. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Brill-o, I do love not having to worry about mapmaking. :)

You (and Samven too, if you'd like) can add me on skype (coldbrady - scotland) and show me what you have. We can all have a wee chat there and make sure we're all on the same page about this and can start getting some stuff put together if all goes to plan.

Hopefully some more folk will join up too, get involved in a cool wee niche genre :D

8. dbest10

dbest10 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey.. this looks very interesting. I am a relative newbie to RMVXA, but am trying to learn as much as possible. I would like to be a part of this game, in any way possible. I cannot create art, or music. I can code, so will probably, help with the scripting, once I get a good grip of it.

9. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd be up for drawing portraits, depending on the volume.

10. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    so far we have about...4/5 charactaers? most of which are NPCs in the village; there;s only one player character, the others just hum around the village and do stuff for you

11. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sounds manageable! Yeah I'd love to help!

12. Todd

Todd Game Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If I have some time I may be able to make some tiles for you (I can't do trees). You said that there's no combat? While that could still work, why not give the option to fight? If you want I could modify my difficulty script so that it will be peaceful, easy, normal, hard. When some one selects something above peaceful it will activate a switch that you can use to spawn enemies.

EDIT: No sorry I don't have time, I can do some icons for you though. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  13. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Like I/W/A icons? That's be great too.. (if you do mean that, it's drills we need mostly. drills and ores and such). If you don't mean that then...well, not sure what you mean, but regardless, we'd appreciate any help we can get :)

EDIT:

The character sprites that will be at the beginning of the game; these will be the villies who colonise the town with you, and who will interact with you during much of this segment. The main character is the first one in the list, but not yet named.

$CharMain.png $Blacksmith.png $Builder.png $Drillmaster.png $Huntress.png $Mayor.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
  14. Todd

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Alright I'll do a few ores and drills.

15. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    You're a wee star! Especially since I'm usin' some of your scripts as well :)

The one-man status menu looks fantastic for this type of game!

16. Todd

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm glad you like it. :)

Well I'm still new to pixel art and I did manage to some make ores and ore related stuff, I'll try to do some drills later. I hope you find some of them useful. Some are simply just hue edits.

IconSet.png

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  17. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Ah, after my heart I see! Exactly what I'm looking for, and easy to put across into charsets too, for the droppable items. Will have a brief intro-demo out for Colonist soon, so hopefully you'll get to see some of your work within that. Things are going a bit slow for the first couple of days because we've been looking into getting our own ABS but no one's free to get one done asap, but the first dungeon should be done soon at least, since I've been making up the first cutscenes, tutorials and such. At the minute I'm wasting more time than not just looking out for useful scripts and such...

Wouldn't believe how much trouble I have, am such a script-noob. Back to my events :(

Cheers for the icons; I'm all yours if you have any more (or anything else at all!) to put into the project :)

EDIT: (copied from other forums; I posted this hours ago while I couldn't get onto this site...internet issues *sigh*)

Have continued to update the concept of the game and improved it quite some amount, as well as having restarted it over and rebuilt the into cutscene and tutorial

Updates on the official blog! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2012
  18. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Have finally got around to putting some stuff together for an Alpha Demo. I don't have many testers right now, so I'm just opening up the alpha demo for all to try out and hopefully I'll get any reports of problems or bugs from this. the game is fairly basic in flesh (there's little text, all straight to the point and no flavour texts, the exploration maps are smaller than they might become, that type of thing) but the skeleton is there; the tools should all work fine, as well as weapon switching, quest checking and the new fog of war effect.

As always, details and download link are on my blog:

http://pixelbrady.wordpress.com/

Have fun! :)

19. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Pixel Brady

Best I can tell, the mechanics are working (menus, switching etc).

Pass-ability seems to be buggered up once past the intro (when you head to the first cave). I was walking all over trees and such. I haven't tried to reproduce it yet... but after work (11 or so hours from now) I'll edit this post with some details... unless of course someone beats me to it ;) Seems fun so far. Can't wait for the full game!

20. Pixel Brady

First Language:
    English
    Aye, the tilesets weren't double-checked unfortunately, the whole village is passable until pretty much the end. That should all be fixed by the next incarnation of the demo, as well as the dialogues being a lot fuller and...well, everything should just be working better, I've had a fair amount of feedback from the test :)