Need Opinions on side project (Visual Novel)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nerdboy, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

Hi, im thinking on working on a little side project to my main game. A visual novel, where choices matter and branch off into multiple possibilities. A choose your own adventure with deep story progression. No combat. Although there will be puzzles, Timed events, and use of key items.

Here's the logline.

"I DROVE ALL NIGHT", is an indie Adventure, about two Lovers and their long distance relationship. Augustus is a member of a notorious gang, while Ophelia is part of High Society. Can the two from two different worlds keep their love alive?

The problem is graphics, i have two choices a more realistic non-anime approach, but limited character sprites (like i wouldnt be able to use many characters to tell the story) or i can use RM MV Generator and create my own characters, and have unlimited characters. Im no pixel artist so i wouldnt be able to create my own without generator.

Would people pay to play a visual novel using chubby RM sprites? IF the story was phenomenal and epic?

2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This is one of those topics which doesn't quite fit in anywhere at the moment. This particular forum isn't for feedback on specific, individual projects, though you can use your own project as an example to get the ball rolling. Don't be surprised, therefore, if the discussion ranges wider than just your particular idea.

3. Saboera

Saboera Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    If you are gonna make a visual novel, it should involve some really nice rendition of characters for the dialogue parts in my opinion. This should take precedence over sprites.

4. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

I have all the scenes and branches on paper, need to add dialogue next. But got point a to b with multiple branches. I'm amazed by the story I created, the plot is exceptional. Truly EPIC.

*Not sure what you mean by nice rendition.

I'm also using variable stats like Infamy, Karma, Love for Augustus, and Loyalty, Sanity, Health for Ophelia as my main protagonist. The stats allow for some interesting dialogue choices.

I'm trying to go for a sprite based visual novel/CYOA like To The Moon.

and heres my logo for the choose your own adventure/visual novel. what do you people think?

LOGO.png NOVEL.png

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  5. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You might be better off waiting until VN Maker is released, which I believe is fairly soon. It would be much better suited to what you are wanting to do.

6. Nerdboy

Nerdboy Veteran Veteran

VN Maker looks interesting but my little side project is a Sprite Based Choose Your Own Adventure/Visual Novel more so like to how To The Moon. I wouldnt be able to do everything myself with VN Maker as that requires a illustrator, and im not. With sprite based story telling i can use tiles to tell the story. and do it all on my own. Personally i can do everything I need in RM so VNM isnt needed. Thank you kes for the suggestion though.

7. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Sure, if you have a good story then you can use any medium. Look at the mobile game "Lifeline." That game is all text, and it got like millions of downloads.

I suggest you put out a demo first and get some feedback. Like maybe 30 minutes of gameplay. This way you'll know how to proceed better.