Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey all,
I'm working with Moghunter's time plugin. It's working fine, but one of the things I'm trying to do is make a little schedule for certain NPCs.
Basically, when the sunrise switch is flipped, an NPC pops out of her tent and moves to her normal position where she remains until sunset, at which time she returns to her tent. Those bits work fine. What isn't working is when sunrise comes around again, she should be repeating that sequence but for some reason nothing happens. I have these events running as parallel processes if that matters. If you need some screenshots, lemme know and I'll post them up here.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
how are you having the event change when it goes back to the tent?
is it an erase event when goes back to the tent?
is it a self switch on the event?
post a screenshot of every page of 1 of these events so we can see how it is built.
its most likely an issue with either page 1 or the final page.
ive seen similar thing b4 where the event "was" there but its repeated appearences were just invisible. lol

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Screenshots in the spoiler. I currently have 4 NPCs with essentially the same setup, and all work fine on the first run through of a day.

Page1.PNGPage2.PNGPage3.PNGPage4.PNGPage5.PNGPage6.PNGPage7.PNGPage8.PNGPage9.PNG

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it looks like after 1 playthrough the event is just getting locked on page 9.
self switch C is not getting turned off

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh crud. Would it be best to turn it off on page 9, or would it be fine to drop that on page 1 which I feel is more appropriate.

Quick edit: I see on one of the other NPCs I have C being turned off on page 1 which clearly isn't working.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
actually several steps here need tweaking cus nothing takes into account entering that map in the middle of the day.
switch B also never getting turnd off
going this complex you might want to look into "self switches and variables" plugin

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was actually going to ask about that next, how do I show them in place if I enter whenever, or leave and re-enter the map during the same phase, along with seeing if there's anything other than the 'Wait' command to use to prevent the self switch from becoming active before they complete their move route. That said, I guess the event I sent was not the best example since B and C are both turned off in the other events (with C turning off back on page 1).
I wanted to wait until I had the basics of it working (i.e, the NPCs repeating their schedule) before I got into the more complex piece that you speak of. Also just noticed this reply has been sitting here for like 2.5 hours because I didn't hit the post button. Fantastic.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if you use yanfly's move route core plugins page 2, 5 and 8 could be removed entirely.
i love it for the
Avoid Move To: x, y
for the custom autonomous move routes instead of using parallel event movements.
always hated when move route would f up and NPCs would end up in the corner of town

edit: also great for the balloons thing to mark shop and quest NPCs

Last edited:

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll look into that Yanfly plugin. Got plenty of theirs already so shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: So I'm not clear how this plugin would allow me to get rid of those event pages you noted - 2, 5 and 8. I can definitely see how it'll simplify the move route and it's worth it for that alone, but do I not need the parallel or autorun triggers still somehow?

EDIT EDIT: So the plugin does simplify the move route (not as much as I'd like, but I can't use the MOVE TO command since it doesn't know how to avoid non-passable tiles). However, this still leaves me no better off than I already was as this won't force the events to repeat each day.

Last edited:

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Bumping, still have the same problem.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
all i can really say is that you need to make it so page 1 has no conditions at all so that at the start of the day and the end of the day are both using page 1. when doing the full day activities for events just think of page 1 as being "in bed sleeping"

and the move route thing for example would go on the autonomous movement: custom route for page 6 making it so no longer need page 5, but also making it so the event will move to the correct spot when enter town at sunset instead of basing the movement from where they would have been if you had been in town since dawn.

Last edited:

Triangle45

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try not to use so many switches but instead use conditionals in a single "MasterPage" event, so you can easily return to when you want to stablish timeframes for events. For example pic related is my simple daylight checker, but it also controls certain events in town that are forever set to action buttons with 2 or 3 pages of events depending on the switch no more. when the events end (openshopclosed for example) it returns its own self switch back to off so it can return to a resting parallel position where the player doesn't interact with it because its invisible and in the corner of town hidden behind a tree.

Attachments

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
all i can really say is that you need to make it so page 1 has no conditions at all so that at the start of the day and the end of the day are both using page 1. when doing the full day activities for events just think of page 1 as being "in bed sleeping"

and the move route thing for example would go on the autonomous movement: custom route for page 6 making it so no longer need page 5, but also making it so the event will move to the correct spot when enter town at sunset instead of basing the movement from where they would have been if you had been in town since dawn.
This didn't work for me. Made a blank page 1, no change at all.

Try not to use so many switches but instead use conditionals in a single "MasterPage" event, so you can easily return to when you want to stablish timeframes for events. For example pic related is my simple daylight checker, but it also controls certain events in town that are forever set to action buttons with 2 or 3 pages of events depending on the switch no more. when the events end (openshopclosed for example) it returns its own self switch back to off so it can return to a resting parallel position where the player doesn't interact with it because its invisible and in the corner of town hidden behind a tree.
I don't think this is really suitable to my needs, since the event in question is an NPC that you'll not only need to interact with, but is involved in another, separate event as well. I can get the interaction bit done with some tinkering, but...your system has its fair share of complexity to do what I need it to do and I wasn't able to get it to work right on first run, let alone when the clock rolls over to a new day so I'll stick with my original setup for now. Thanks for the reply though, never hurts to have something new to try!

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
post some screenshots of how you've change it so far.
have you solved the whole "self switches never getting turned off" issue?
is the event starting and ending at the same location?
does it matter what time of day you enter that map at?

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
post some screenshots of how you've change it so far.
have you solved the whole "self switches never getting turned off" issue?
is the event starting and ending at the same location?
does it matter what time of day you enter that map at?
The self switches thing was only an issue because I forgot to drop the commands to shut them off into the event. That was only affecting this particular event and not the other 3, but it's fixed now. These events do start and end at the same location. For this one, the NPC will leave her tent at sunrise and move to her spot where she'll stand until sunset, then she moves to the campfire right outside her tent, then at night she moves into her tent. These things all happen as they should. What I need them to do is happen AGAIN when the next occurence of sunrise happens, and that's what I'm not getting. As far as what changes I made, I simply added a blank page to the beginning, so page 1 is now empty. I also added a blank page to the end, so I now have 11 pages in this event. I know you mentioned earlier something about removing page 5, but 5 and 6 involve a separate event and have to remain for now.

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ok, still nothing. I've moved some things around a bit and I don't feel like I'm any closer to a solution. I've screenshotted the pages again and I'll go through them one by one here.

Page 1 - the circle of life begins here. When the sunrise switch is flipped on, the NPC leaves her tent and walks to her specified location. There is a 300 frame wait to prevent Self A from activating before the move route is completed.
Page1.PNG

Page 2 - this is the page that prevents the parallel process on page 1 from repeating. There is an interaction here that can occur if another event is triggered elsewhere on the map.
Page2.PNG

Page 3 - this page takes effect once the Day switch is flipped. It turns off Self A, and includes the same interaction from Page 2.

Page3.PNG

Page 4 - This page takes effect when the Sunset switch is flipped. This event moves back to its campsite and takes up position around the fire. Self B is flipped on after the move route is completed.

Page4.PNG

Page 5 - This page has a single dialogue and is used to stop the prior page from repeating.

Page5.PNG

Page 6 - This page kicks off when the Dusk switch is flipped on, and also shuts off Self B. Aside from that, it replicates the single dialogue from the prior page.

Page6.PNG

Page 7 - This one kicks off when the Night switch is flipped. It has a short move route that moves the NPC from the campfire into her tent and turns on Self C.

Page7.PNG

Page 8 - This page stops the parallel event from page 7 from repeating. Nothing else here.

Page8.PNG

Page 9 - Final page. Kicks off when the Dawn switch is flipped. All it does is turn Self C off.

Page9.PNG

At this point, I would think it would go back to page 1 to restart the process once the Sunrise switch is flipped back on. Everything else happens as it should, the switch flips, the screen tint changes, the tent door opens, but no NPC. She doesn't magically appear at her daytime spot, or the campfire. We simply never see her again. I've removed the other 3 scheduled NPCs from the map for the time being so I'm only working with this single one. I'm wondering if another page or two in this event should also be set to parallel process? Or am I completely backwards on this whole thing and it'll never work as is? For the record, I removed the original event and recreated this from scratch (had another event a while back that just needed to be redone in order to work). I just really don't know what else to try here.

Quick edit: Also to note, the first day, everything runs exactly as it should. The various interactions work just the way I want, the dialogues happen when and as they should. The only issue is that this event will not happen beyond that first day. Even if I leave the map and return, the event does not play again.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
all 3 of those self switches would only get turnd off if just happen to talk to the event at those set times of day. if dont talk to the NPC at all 3 of those times the event will never repeat.

the move route plugin was suggested so you dont need self switches for each time of day only the time switches. not using the move route plugin the right way for this.

on page 2 and 5 where the autonomous movement is set to fixed, change this to custom
in the custom section you will see "script" as the bottom right option. this is where you would put
Move To: x, y
would use this command instead of the move X steps south, X steps east, ect... because if enter town at sunset the event would start at the tent and move from there to somewhere random. with the move to x,y you just set the coordinates and the event will find the best path to reach that point on its own.
no need for any parallel process pages until page 7.

page 7 would still use parallel and set move route since needs to wait until the end of the movement before it becomes invisible. but again would want to use Move To: x, y script for this set move route because if enter town at night the NPC would walk from the tent to somewhere random then vanish.
here we would still use the self switch and remove the "change image" line its not needed and could make the event invisible the next day.
(going to want the NPC to stop its movement 1 step infront of the tent if the tent also has a transfer event for it. overlapping events like this could break the transfer into tent at night)

page 8 change to parallel process
now we make a check "if switch is on Night" do nothing "Else" turn off self switch
make the bottom line of content a wait command, this is how long it will wait before doing a check again (60frame per second), without this is can cause a fair bit lag.

now we can change the condition of page 2 and 5 to the sunrise and sunset switches, and remove the self switch conditions for them.
and now we can delete page 1, 4 and 9.

with all this done there is only 1 self switch in use and it only exists because the event turns invisible. and now if you leave town at night it doesnt require the dawn switch being on in order to turn off the self switch.

Last edited:

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The problem with using the MOVE TO: command is the NPC gets hung up on non-passable tiles, the only way around this that I can see is to manually input the path they need to take to get to where they need to go. There's always the possibility I wasn't using that command correctly, but in the few attempts I made to use it, it always went the same way. I've tried another move route plugin and didn't have any better luck. I'll make those changes in the pages now and let you know how it goes.

EDIT: The move route on page 2 actually references another event, not this event that I'm working on. This page is triggered by another event, so I don't actually want this move route to be autonomous, it needs to only take place if the first event triggers the variable that would activate the dialogue and the move route on this page.

Also on page 5, there is no move route. It's set to fixed because the event stays in place at this time.

On page 8, I assume the wait command should be outside of the conditional branch, not in the else branch?

EDIT EDIT: So basically I just transfer my move route from page 1 to the autonomous movement on page 2 and then delete page 1. For some reason, however, the wait command needs to be outside of the move route in order to have the desired effect, so dropping a wait into the autonomous movement doesn't really do anything.

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the "contents" move route on page 2 is fine and should stay as it is. its the the "autonomous movement" that needs to be changed (bottom left beside the event image) this is just the movement that page 1 is currently doing.
same with page 5. its the movement page 4 is doing but as an autonomous movement instead of contents movement
autonomous movement doesnt effect other events only the event it is put in. its just parallel process type of movement without the need for the event to actually run as a parallel.
Untitled.png
if you use X steps south, X steps east here the event would repeat those movements until it ends up in the corner of town. but if you use move to: x, y here the event will run move to that x, y location and then just stop there.

Last edited:

Sacrifyx

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Understood. Should this move route plugin be navigating around non-passable tiles? Because it isn't. I'm trying now with the full move route put in to see how that goes. With MOVE TO: the character walks right up to a riverbank and stays there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I should finish the cat video I'm editing and finish the indesign stuff. So far only 1 is done and 4 to go
Made a video showcasing 56 plugins I've installed and used in the first 5 minutes of my game. (No battle related plugins involved.) :LZScheeze:

being able to transition music seamlessly is amazing. my main character's theme has lyrics and it goes from vocal version to istrumental when he leaves his room. and vice versa. and thanks to a plugin, the transition is seamless. I love it.
All of the auditions for our game are so good, I'm so glad I'm not in charge of choosing completely. lol I just can't with some of them. I listen to them on repeat. XD
Working on a Patch to integrate AlphaABS into random generated Dungeons. Was a bit tricky, but the outcome is a real Life Changer!!

Will release it the next days!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reepus