Need some help with two combat mechanics!

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Just decided to put these in one post to avoid forum clutter.
The game im working on is a story focused high fantasy game with major themes of moving on from the past, death, and the morality of killing. It also has a complex magic system in terms of story. It is a game with morality affecting most aspects of the game, what happens in battle does not stay in battle, and injuries, deaths, as well as what you do and say are carried outside of combat for both parties. I want the combat to reflect these themes and feel distinct.

The first mechanic is a uncontrollable kill system, the idea is that each of the three main party members have a kill meter that will fill up for different reasons, and if it fills up, that character will automatically try to kill the enemy. If the player wants to keep that person alive, then then have to strategize how to either immobilized or calm down the character in question, or somehow protect the enemy. My main concern is making this fun and interesting rather than frustrating.
Only two of the characters will ever really activate this, as one of the characters is actively opposed to killing for any reason, even in the name of self preservation. As for the other two, one's meter will begin to fill up if either of the other two's characters health falls below 25%, and the other has their meter fill up as turns pass in the battle. Both of their meters can be managed by either trying to make battles as short as possible, or by using turns to talk to them.
Any suggestions for this?

The other system is less planned out. the magic system is emotion based, and involuntary without training, one of the three characters has the ability to use magic and spends most of the game learning how to control and manipulate it.
However, i'm not sure how to implement this into battles. I know i want it to reward learning how it works, and i want it to progress throughout the game. Any ideas? Keep in mind that the character in question also has a regular weapon.

Also does anyone know how to actually get these systems to work? The first one i should be able to use the TP meter, but i don't know how to make an action perform without player input, and as for the second system, i've got nothing...

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
a lot of things can be done with troop events, variables and force action commands, but unfortunately your description is not specific enough to even guess how to start.

if you know how computer logic and variables work you should have no problems with those ideas, but if you don't then you'll either have to give more specific data for us to start helping, or go learning with things like the variables guide (a tutorial game linked here in the forum) and similar topics.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to MZ Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

You'd be better off posting the two things in different threads, to avoid confusion. And one may need a plugin while the other may not.

LittenDev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks! Sorry bout that!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I'm very happy and I want everyone to be happy too, so I decided to share this song about the end of the world! :biggrin:
I just booked a spot for my COVID vaccine today. I am just waiting to see when they can get me in. I'll be so happy when I don't have to be paranoid about the virus anymore. I'm also thinking about moving to Atlanta, Georgia, Denver, Colorado, or Houston, Texas in the far future. Maybe once my channel gets off the ground.
Went to get a haircut today, and the lady cut my hair too short... Well I suppose with the pandemic I'm not going out a lot, but it still feels a bit uncomfortable.
For real, they didn't tell me anything about THAT dragon bomber before. It could be the greatest invention since sliced bread, that's for sure!
Random Thought: Team Visustella has become the Power Rangers of RPG Maker, and Yanfly is their Zordon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gujuji