Need some opinion about this mechanics

RicardoxRyu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think of designing my character stats to have different stats like Strength, Vitality, Power, Agility, Intelligence, and Element.

Strength: increase basic damage (both physical and magical)
Vitality: increase HP, a bit PDF and MDF
Power: increase damage limit cap
Agility: faster move on ctb
Intelligence: increase Max MP and MP gain from charging (since skill has level and become expensive at high level)
Element: increase element damage (effect will be stronger if enemy is very weak to your skill elementand take a bit less element damage

So I’m planning to design a weapons that gives skill that has power and limit that need to be adjusted with user stats. (For example hammer requires user to have more power example 900 strength and 1200 power to do 100% capped damage (80% to 100% because of variance) against same defense enemy while sword need to have higher strength. Element skill would have prefer build Power & Element. So skill has both power and limit multiplier that makes you need to build adjust your Strength / Element or Power based on how much defense the enemy has.

So... the question is...
Is this battle mechanics hard to be implemented? Especially the implementation of power that controls damage limit. I want to know if this possible before I went deeper. Ty for reading it and sorry if there are misspelling or bad grammar.

Last edited:

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
element as a base stat would be difficult since the stat doesnt change with each different element attack and weakness. its just a number used for damage formulas while the attack element and element rate are already different traits with no direct connection to the base stat.
having damage formula reference element rate just to do a branching damage formula with the stat being value damage bonus/reduction seems pointlessly extreme since would need a branching damage formula for every element.
the whole premise just seems very redundant and annoying to try and implement.

having power as a base stat to alter damage cap, i just dont see how with damage formulas unless all attacks have 0% variance and 0% crit chance. this would also double or triple the size of all damage formulas.
never tryd putting a formula into the plugin that changes damage cap because plugin formulas and damage formulas use different syntax and im not good with javascript syntax.

vitality increases HP and intelligence increase max MP, need plugin that allows formulas for stat calculations like yanflys class base parameter extension plugin. but then you dont get the classes stat curve growth is becomes entirely formula based growth.

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is this battle mechanics hard to be implemented?

element as a base stat would be difficult
You have the exact right idea, so I'm not sure why you think it would be difficult. Just include the Element parameter as some sort of multiplier in the damage formula of any elemental spell.
having damage formula reference element rate just to do a branching damage formula with the stat being value damage bonus/reduction
Sorry, I can't follow this. But it sounds more complicated than the OP was describing to me.

Especially the implementation of power that controls damage limit...sorry if there are misspelling or bad grammar.
I admit I couldn't follow everything you said, either. But a damage limit is simple to implement, you'd just use the Math.min() function to specify the highest number your damage formula can produce.

RicardoxRyu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was thinking of getting luk parameter to changed as element, so I can make my skill damage like (a.luk * skill multiplier * a.elementRate(x) where x is bonus damage element.) it will be a bit work cause every character will have those elementRate for each element, but still easy to do.

Math.min function, nice.... I will definitely try that.
You have the exact right idea, so I'm not sure why you think it would be difficult. Just include the Element parameter as some sort of multiplier in the damage formula of any elemental spell.

Sorry, I can't follow this. But it sounds more complicated than the OP was describing to me.

I admit I couldn't follow everything you said, either. But a damage limit is simple to implement, you'd just use the Math.min() function to specify the highest number your damage formula can produce.

RicardoxRyu

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Seems like Math.min work flawlessly as intended and it also compatible with Galv’s Battle Action Info I’m using. The only flaws is like Tiamat-86 said, if the enemy weak to the damage, the damage limit can be multiplied as well. Is there any way to prevent that?

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if the enemy weak to the damage, the damage limit can be multiplied as well. Is there any way to prevent that?
If you want the damage limit to apply after elemental weakness is applied, you'll need to write a little plugin. You'll put the damage limit into the skill as a notetag and rewrite the function that multiplies the damage by the elemental rate to check for that notetag as a cap.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

thought I'd upgrade to mz from mv cause of the nice quality of life features but ****ing hell why couldn't they allow old plugins to work in it and secondly how come in over a year since it's release has there been no mz version of something so crucial as a non grid based movement plugin. I guess I'll stick with mv. (why wasnt mz just an update to mv anyway literally nothing substantial changed..)
Something might be coming...
Hallo.png
A new day for creating :)
2021 has been the runner-up for the worst year of my life. 2015 may take that title, but '21 is pushing it. Excuses really don't justify how much of a jerk I've been this year to a lot of people.

I'm sorry. I don't intend to be a jerk forever, but I'd rather back up my intent with actions, not words.
"Another hundred habaneros... a teaspoon of tumeric... and a heaping helping of nitroglycerin!" The kitten in a chef's hat laughed maniacally as the pot he was stirring promptly exploded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seanhickey00