Black Pagan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am working on a Mini Game which is barely 20 Mins of Gameplay. Its just meant to be something like a Proof of Concept for my Upcoming Game based on similar Concept so I don't want to spend too much effort or time on making Complicated mechanics or even skills for it so I have implemented options for the Player to simply choose a Starting weapon and go with it. Each weapon has a different base damage formula and acts differently.

The Player can basically switch weapons and has the default Normal attack. Now my question is this :

"How can i make the Gameplay more interesting with just Normal Attacks ?"

"Would a Battle system with just Normal Attacks be better off having Auto Battle ?"

What is your opinion on a Game which Focus on just Equip Customization and has Auto Battle ?

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I feel like some of these questions retread the ground we covered back in this topic, so the answers I gave you there still represent what I believe.

"How can i make the Gameplay more interesting with just Normal Attacks ?"
You can make it a little more interesting by having different weapons grant different passive effects or conditional effects to Normal Attacks. You can make it even more interesting still by doing this, and also letting players switch their weapons mid-battle (maybe with a cooldown on how often they may do so).

"Would a Battle system with just Normal Attacks be better off having Auto Battle ?"
In many cases yes, but not always. Auto Battle is good when the player's decisions within the battle wouldn't matter all that much anyway - it saves time and pain, and lets the player focus on the things that matter more. Auto Battle is not so good when the player's decisions within the battle would have a lot of agency.

So if the player can change the course of battle significantly with smart/creative choices of who to target, or they can use something like the weapon switching and passive effects I mentioned above, then no, you shouldn't force Auto Battle on the player; it would rob them of the joy of making great moves in combat.

If the player's choices wouldn't matter all that much, then yeah, go Auto Battle.

Szebron

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
Helen's Mysterious Castle is specific version of this. You might want check that game out. It's super cheap.

Giving weapons vastly different properties like status effects, dodge chance, counter attack chance, resistance/vulnerability vs other weapon types can make this system much deeper.
Going full autobattle would be kind of weird unless justfied in plot(for example main character is engineer and actually fighting is done by robots he designed) unless there is some AI programming or extensive equipment customization there is no reason to include any sort of battle screen, instead you could resolve encounters on map as they happen, though in that case I see no reason to have stat/equipment based combat instead of just handling it Visual Novel style(combat can be included in game without being mechanic).

Dororo

Gespenst MKII pilot
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Only normal attacks?
Have the monsters act differently than a standard goblin. Focus more on them and maybe a mechanic where the player should find when NOT to attack and guard instead.
Anyway, for 20 min of gameplay I will focus more on the plot, combat will occupy a smalll part of the experience (hopefully).

And again, for 20 min gameplay I think giving so many weapon options will be wasted dev time.
Autobattle? Yeah, why not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Its been almost 6 months since i've been here last and 5 years before that. the worst part is losing the game you were working on in a cpu fire.

Well time to go at it again.
my game is coming together im so happy
In this day and age, i might switch back to RMXP. I’ve lost faith in all the new plugins.
Wow it's been forever since I last logged in! I STILL want to make a game... I'll start it one day for sure!! It's a dream of mine.
This days I couldn't do anything... My mind is so confused and I couldn't work at all, I only wanted to play video games with my friends and that made all my projects delay a lot. Someone else feels this kind of thing sometimes? :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Famas