Need to change Actor's SV Battler sprite when weapon is equipped

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there! I really need to know how to change an actor's SV_Actor sprite when they equip a specific weapon or weapon type. How would I go about doing this?

Elhijei

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I tried to do this for my game, as the weapons are part of the SV Sprites. If you have few weapons, you can event it with condition branches:

In a Common event, make this.
If Actor [x] is equiped WEAPON 1
-> Change sprite to SPRITE(Weapon 1)
Else
-> Change sprite to SPRITE(No Weapon)

If Actor [x] is equiped WEAPON 2
-> Change sprite to SPRITE(Weapon 2)

The first "Else" checks if the actor has no weapon at all, don't repeat it. If it has no weapon, all the other conditions will be ignored and it'll keep that sprite. But if the actor does have one, it'll be overwritten.

As for weapon types, I'm not sure... Maybe using Yanfly's Passive State?
For each weapon type, make all the weapons give a passive state (without icon, with no effect, so it's invisible to the player). All swords give the Sword passive state, all bows give the Bow passive state, etc.
And then in the common event, you check for the state instead of the main hand.
If Actor [x] has state WEAPON TYPE STATE 1
-> Change sprite to SPRITE(Weapon Type 1)

Then in Troops, set a battle event at turn 0, run that common event, on every single battle (or use a plugin to run it auto). Don't make that common event run all the time, once at the begining of a fight should be enough, and when actors swap weapon in battle if you use such plugin.

Problem is, it gets more tedious the more weapons/types/actors you have and can very easily get unbearable, I hope there's a different way :D

ATT_Turan

Forewarner of the Black Wind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can use a plugin to assign different weapon animation for various weapons. If you're using RPG Maker MV, then you can use Yanfly's plugin: (http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Weapon_Animation_(YEP))
The OP didn't ask how to change what weapon was displayed during an attack, he asked how to change the actor's SV battler sprite.
As for weapon types, I'm not sure... Maybe using Yanfly's Passive State?
For each weapon type, make all the weapons give a passive state (without icon, with no effect, so it's invisible to the player). All swords give the Sword passive state, all bows give the Bow passive state, etc.
And then in the common event, you check for the state instead of the main hand.
If Actor [x] has state WEAPON TYPE STATE 1
-> Change sprite to SPRITE(Weapon Type 1)

Then in Troops, set a battle event at turn 0, run that common event, on every single battle (or use a plugin to run it auto). Don't make that common event run all the time, once at the begining of a fight should be enough, and when actors swap weapon in battle if you use such plugin.​
You can do this much more efficiently with the Passive States and Buffs & States Core. Just give each weapon a passive state, then give those states a <Custom Apply Effect> to set their sprites to the new one, and a <Custom Remove Effect> that changes them back. No common events or battle events required.

There's also:

and

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
General Discussion is not meant for support questions.

I've moved this thread to Plugin Requests. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Create Anime Art w/ AI, Tall Sprites with Aurora, Customize Variable Display | RPG Maker News #34

[My favorite slow moving track I've made so far]
dd_airport2.jpgdd_combat.jpg
dd_town.jpg
I did an experiment to try to solve the art style problem between RTP and 3D models.
But, it feels this grimdark world is going to end even faster. :kaoswt2:
Solovei wrote on caethyril's profile.
Hi, just wanted to say, thank you for helping me fix that event with the step count! I followed your example exactly and it works now:kaojoy:
still waiting for original character contest 3 bust/face dlc release :kaoluv:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxiee05