Need your help/advice - Problem in progress and focus

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Churro, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Churro

Churro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Perhaps other of you had the same problem before and could give me some advice how to overcome it :wub!

My head is full of ideas and they look all great in my imagination (my game really lives in my head :popcorn:)!
    But when i am sitting in front of my computer and Rpg Maker MV i am kinda only staring at the screen and nothing comes out ;_;
    (Only very small things which are somehow incoherent...)
    And than i am doing everything but not my game (posting in the forum for example XD).

How can i make better progress or work more focused?
    Do/did you have the same problem? When yes - How did you deal with it?
    Do you know some tutorials or links related to that problem?

hp4000 likes this.
  2. Soul Tech

Soul Tech Time Traveler Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Churro likes this.
  3. Churro

Churro Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Soul Tech Tank you for the link :wub I am reading the thread and i think i really have something like the blank paper syndrome too.

Soul Tech likes this.
  4. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This forum, I found it's a distraction. Once I got a blackout and there is nothing else to do other than using my laptop battery left for developing. Surprisingly, it works good :p

I had the same problem while making the sequel of my game. Just a plain test map, no real implementation, and I had a hard time deciding how or where to start. But I guess the biggest push was the support of fellow dev, or people who waits for my game. A moral support. While, you can be a solo developer, but you might want a person or people to support you indirectly like giving you feedback or just a brainstorm partner.

If everything else, try to participate in monthly progress report thread. Maybe you will get motivated

Soul Tech likes this.
  5. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just starting out is the hardest part. So far, I have been most motivated when a game jam comes around that I am interested in. Then I'm under a time crunch to get something going and I pull out an idea and run with it. My entry always turns out to be a total disaster but I have a solid foundation and some great feedback that allows me to polish it up and make it really good. Terrible jam strategy but I have two completed games now as opposed to zero.

The reason this works is because everything gets really easy once you've got that foundation. Once you settle on the scope of the game and the mechanics and get that implemented, the rest is just adding and expanding on that foundation. That's the part you really need to zero in on at the beginning and get it done. It's tough because you won't have much to show for it for a while as you are experimenting and changing things around, reworking and optimizing. But once those pieces click, everything gets exciting and your motivation will skyrocket.

EpicFILE likes this.
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love this and am just gonna post it on every thread from now on (why has it taken me so long to discover it?)

This is great if you're right at the beginning and you have so much to do and it all seems overwhelming.

http://yanfly.moe/comics/

SunStunBros and EpicFILE like this.
  7. hp4000

hp4000 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Do something small on the game, then take a break.
    keep doing that and you'll get a game! :)

8. EpicFILE

EpicFILE Epic Member Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesia
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you want to finish a project, I agree with @Frogboy.
    Game jam is a good way to motivate yourself to finish a project, because usually there's a deadline in it.

When we're given too much freedom, our mind tend to wander everywhere.
    With a deadline, we need to think about interesting ideas that can be implemented realistically in a short amount of time.
    You need to choose from various ideas and only pick the ones that relevant to your game and can be realistically done.
    More focused ideas give you more focused approach too. That way, you'll work with more efficiency.

But focusing too much on a project is not a good thing too, imo.
    Give yourself some times to learn and experiment on new stuff. :D

hp4000 and Frogboy like this.