Needing fuel to travel on world map

Discussion in 'RGSS3 Script Requests' started by kwanzaabot, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So, for my RPG, I've decided I'd like to have some kind of survival system. Except, I don't want it to be a "eat every 6 hours or you die" kind of thing.

What I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me with, is to create a system where you need both food and water (represented by vertical HP/MP-style bars on the far right of the screen) in order to travel.

As you'd move across the world map, these bars would decrease (but water would run out faster than food- since humans can last longer without food than they can without water), and you'd have to stop off at a town or trading post in order to refuel. If a player didn't refuel, they'd pass out, possibly lose some money from people robbing them while unconscious, and waking up at the last town they visited, being nursed back to health at the inn.

I feel this would encourage players to travel off the beaten path- going from Town A to Town B might seem easy enough, but you could run out of water before you get there, so instead you'd have to travel from Town A to Town C, before heading to Town B.

I hope this makes sense!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2012
  2. SolarGale

SolarGale Learning Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Wow, this is such a great idea, if I were any good at scripting, I certainly would try and make it just because it sounds so cool x3

3. Levi

Levi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    There are several HUD scripts available that would cover the vertical bars (check the Directory Sticky), and the Survival part would be doable without a script.

1) The easy/flaky way to do this is simply have a state, similar to a curse, in which a certain amount of "HP" (Hunger, thirst, what-have-you) is lost at set intervals... you could just copy an existing persistant/passive state and re-name it. Then simply have a food items and a water items (similar to potions) or common events at check-points to replenish/reverse these states.

2) The harder but more flexible way is to use Variables that increase or decrease at set intervals (would require parallel process) and are replenished via common event in items or at checkpoints.

Something like this could also be used to implement fuel in vehicles. Have a persistant state that occurs when player enters a vehicle, and if the "fuel" runs out the vehicle stops and you exit. The variable option would be better in this instance.

I may be wrong, but I think I recall a HUD script in which any variable can be assigned to "status bars"... which would be perfect for this. Beyond the script for the HUD, all other processes can be acheived via default RM VXACE system mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  4. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Ooh, that's brilliant.

I'll put my feelers out and see if I can find this HUD script, but let me know if you remember! :)