Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Okay, I downloaded Gimp, but I find the program extremely confusing. It took me over 15 minutes just to find where the colour palletes were, and I still can't fathom out the brushes and why every time I place a pixel it is blurred and partially translucent. It looks like a good professional program but I am seriously finding it hard. I know the settings I want are in there somewhere, but, I am seriously confused.

The reason I downloaded was primarily because I want to try my hand at producing my own tilesets and sprites. The default tiles with RPG Maker VX Ace are great for most situations, but if, for instance, I wanted to create a map which is set on another planet where the plantlife might be totally different, well, there aren't tiles for that in the default and I'd like to make some of my own. Not to mention I need to make Alien sprites. I'd read some really good things about Gimp... it's just a bewildering program for a total novice like me.

Can any of you recommend some good tutorial series so I can get a feel for how to use it properly? I want to learn it because it might even make my life easier in the long term, and I want my work to be the best it can be.

I would stick to using pixilart, which is also a free program (and browser based), and far easier to understand (I picked that one up almost instantly). However Pixilart has one whopping drawback compared to Gimp... I cannot place a grid over my canvass as a guide. I need one so I am not forever counting out 32 pixels for each individual tile I make. It's great for people making gifs and stuff like that, but it might not be the best tool for the job for my purposes.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Hmm... I would check this one out.

It explains how to use GIMP for Char sets. It's what I use for both Tilesets and Chars.

However, there are times where I simply just draw things out and put it in GIMP while using the Configure Guide from the Image tab. You can also click the View tab and click on Show Grid.

Can help teach you a little if you want. I'm no master but I've been using it for a little over a year now.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

I've moved this thread to Useful Development Tools. Thank you.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can also try Krita or GraphicGale which some uses, Krita is a bit of
a combination of gimp and photoshop and some features are better.

GraphicGale I cannot tell, but some use it to make tilesets.
I use Photoshop because it has features I use and works perfectly.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
why every time I place a pixel it is blurred and partially translucent.
that means you have the wrong tool selected, ne that is for photorealistic work and not for pixeling.
But I can't tell you where in GIMP the correct tool is because I don't use that program.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Thanks guys, all useful information. I think I'll take a good look at some other programs as choose whichever is least confusing, then fully learn the one I pick. A tool should exist to make a job easier, Gimp looks like it has a steep learning curve AND, I don't like colour pallets they have. They have some so vibrant they might as well be fluorescent, which is great if you don't mind it hurting your eyes and you're making a game intended for preschool kids. Those that aren't cartoony colours have other problems. Some incomplete, like, multiple shades of only one colour, I like pallets with all primary and secondary colours in multiple shades as a bare minimum. Some pallets don't even have the colours organized into a comprehensible flow of shades, like, every colour is randomly dotted around rather than into groupings of same colour different shade going from light to dark as most programs do. What is worse, it doesn't tell you how to create your own pallet, which if I could do this it would negate this problem! Even MS Paint, for all it's shortcomings lets you edit colours according to your needs.

JacSkulls, thank you for your offer of helping me learn Gimp, but given what I have seen of it, I am beginning to seriously dislike the program. I guess different tools work better for different people, some things are a bit like that. The video you provided is good, I have learned one useful thing from it at least, sprites fit into a 32x32 tile. I'm going to look at the other options before I decide, and hopefully one of the other programs mentioned will be more to my liking. As long as it has a grid tool, colour pallets that make actual sense, and brushes that aren't confusing, I'll be good to go.

Shaz, sorry I (once again) got the wrong subforum. I had assumed all art related posts was for the art forum. It is sometimes confusing to know which forum I am supposed to be posting into.

JacSkulls

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
JacSkulls, thank you for your offer of helping me learn Gimp, but given what I have seen of it, I am beginning to seriously dislike the program. I guess different tools work better for different people, some things are a bit like that. The video you provided is good, I have learned one useful thing from it at least, sprites fit into a 32x32 tile. I'm going to look at the other options before I decide, and hopefully one of the other programs mentioned will be more to my liking. As long as it has a grid tool, colour pallets that make actual sense, and brushes that aren't confusing, I'll be good to go.
I totally understand. Though, think they have 3 different style as far as that goes. There's even a thing on there called "Modes" that you can change for the colors. You can also right click on the tools to pick brushes and whatnot. I admit, it took me awhile to learn it as well. Almost 2 months, actually. Lol.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find one that will fit your style. If you do want to learn GIMP, do contact me. I'll do my best to help guide you.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well, I just installed Krita, I think this is going to be a much better option for me. I have figured out more in just a few minutes on that program than I did on Gimp in over an hour. I love the colour selection wheel, so I feel far less restricted and I can get the shades I want much more easily. They have brushes especially for pixel art and everything. The grid wasn't hard to figure out either, so I can now get to work!

I'll certainly bear you in mind if and when I decide to retry gimp. For now though I think I might just stick with Krita and see how that goes.

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I still can't fathom out the brushes and why every time I place a pixel it is blurred and partially translucent.
Have you tried the pencil tool instead of paintbrush.
It all comes down to the brush settings.
In general a brush is just an image, and the settings change how the brush behaves.

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I couldn't even find where those settings were on Gimp. I've got it figured out on Krita though, I've already made an autotile with Krita at this point so I am going to stick with it.

NaosoX

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I couldn't even find where those settings were on Gimp. I've got it figured out on Krita though, I've already made an autotile with Krita at this point so I am going to stick with it.
I'm glad you found a tool you feel comfortable using. :cutesmile:

Helen1701

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Me too, I was determined to find one I didn't feel I was strugging against. I mean, I don't expect to try a new program and instantly know all of it's advanced features, but I do expect to be able to figure out the most basic functions within a few minutes, and altering a brush setting would qualify as a basic function. The only drawback of Krita is having to remember to merge layers after each copy/paste, but this is a small price to pay for being able to have a 16x16 grid. Before this the only programs I used were MS Paint and pixilart. Both are decent programs as basic tools go, but neither have a grid function, which is kind of necessary if you're making tiles and don't want to spend your time counting and recounting pixels. I will still use pixilart for some work though, like drawing plants which take up 1-4 tiles, because I can set the whole canvass to those sizes.

I'm working on a plants tileset at the moment, some of them I drew in pixilart, saved as PNG, opened them in Krita, and then copied and pasted them into the proper places on the grid. Tested them out and they are working. I'm not going to be using them in the game I'm making right now, I'm using the default for that (except for one or two items which I need which aren't there in the default). However, I plan to make another game in the future when I've finished this project, and it is that one I will be using my own artwork for.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So I just got my computer back (Was posting stuff on my phone) But now my dang monitor's broken! I'll need to get a new one, which means... JOBS! Yaaay... When I get a new monitor, I'll post picture of one of my RPGMMV projects.
Wish me luck... :kaodes:
Had to clean up disk space because Windows Updates was having my primaries' disk space for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I guess the clean up thingy doesn't work or something because there were 15gigs of old update files in it.
Monday morning, and the sudden message: Hey, can you set up a full second lesson about pixel art till tomorrow?
No one:
Steam game achievement: "Die 100 times in easy mode".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
umememe