Negative stigma around RTP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SOC, Oct 2, 2017.

1. sabao

sabao Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think pre-made assets in games made with engines outside of the RPG Maker ecosystem do still get flak for using these assets, but generally get a pass for most users for the following reasons:
    • Engines like Unity and Unreal have little to offer as far as assets that come with the engine go. Most of the pre-made stuff is taken from their respective marketplaces which are driven by user-generated content. There's a much larger and visually diverse offering of assets in these marketplaces and aren't as visually distinct as the graphic assets a popular engine like RPG Maker provides out of the box. Even without knowing of RPG Maker, if I ran into To the Moon and then Rakuen on Steam (both wonderful games, mind you), for example, I'd notice both games look eerily similar.
    • These games in question may also potentially get a pass for using such assets if the experience holds up. Store bought assets aside, PUBG looks like a game that was made two console generations ago. Had this been just another shooter, it would've been lost under the HDCinematicOMG graphics most modern shooters are presented in, but the gameplay made up for its flaws. AFAIK, its gameplay is unique to itself.
    RM* is an engine made to build a very specific kind of game and to do so as quickly and easily as possible. I personally agree with @SOC that the RTP itself isn't horrible. It's actually pretty nice. RPG Maker was initially conceived with the amateurs and hobbyist in mind. We can't expect everyone to be artists. I certainly can't sprite to save my life. I think that at the hobbyist or amateur level, it's perfectly acceptable to use work with what we have/what we're given.

That said, I'd likely play a game made with the RTP if the idea was interesting enough. I'd have to find said game though, and first impressions are usually where these games would struggle the most.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    starlight dream likes this.
  2. kaiijuu

kaiijuu Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I actually don't despise RTP/ default stuff? My issue more so is when like, stuff doesn't mesh well together as far as battlers/art styles? I think though, some custom effort *should* be made, be it music (gosh bc that default music though....) or even animations. It's just, there's so much custom resources that people have created that there shouldn't be a need to use a lot of default RTP stuff. You just have to look.

3. Countyoungblood

Countyoungblood Sleeping Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    For me at least, recognizing a game is using RTP content isn't enough of a red flag to scare me off and something else like game mechanics or story if properly advertised would of already swayed me.

How green the grass is or how realistic the trees are have much less weight than something else that contributes more to my enjoyment of the game.

For other people it might be best to at least avoid iconic art pieces to look less cheap.

4. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Personally, I couldn't care less if someone is using RTP. It's HOW they're using it that either grips my interest or turns me away. I've seen some games with custom assets, and they look awful. The opposite is true, where I've seen some games with RTP (default and edited) that look amazing.

SOC likes this.
  5. Countyoungblood

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Id be amused to see a minimalist asset game.. Grass is just solid green trees are a different shade of solid green

Frogboy likes this.
  6. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What might be even more amusing would be to convert an ASCII game into RTP style. Like, you have letters and numbers and symbols for the characters and terrain and such but it would be done with fancy graphics. :)

7. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Heh...I'd like to go the other way. Convert an RTP game to all ASCII. T for tree, ^ for mountain, and you move a little happy face around for the party.

In fact, I remember playing some old shareware RPG's in the 80's-90's that did just that. Graphics were very minimal, and battles were just input your command on the keyboard and then everyone takes turns (hey, sounds similar right?), but I had fun with them for a while.

@sabao : I agree with you on that! I say if you use the RTP you need to put your BEST screenshots up for display (ones where you show you are not just another RTP game), and your first hour or two or so has to be very well done, as that is how long you have to impress them enough to stay with your game and not refund it on Steam.

8. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

I think this thread threatens to veer off-topic, so please keep it on the straight and narrow.
    Thanks.

Windows i7 likes this.
  9. Countyoungblood

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Negative stigma around RTP? Yes, there is some.

Well that was fun

10. Devek

Devek Villager Member

First Language:
    Welsh
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    To me, using the RTP shouldn't be considered bad, if the person creating has a distinct knowledge of the engine and the game ends up being polished. What I do hate however is when the overtones and undertones don't mix with the RTP, be it with the style or genre of a game. A modern, apocalyptic world really won't work well with default graphics, as per say. In general, the RTP is frowned upon, but I feel by frowning upon it we aren't giving beginning developers the chance to endeavor with the engine.