What module would you like to see next? (Pick top 2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Nelderson's Online Core

EDIT 1/24/17:  Github Repo | Tutorial Walkthrough

Hi Everyone!

2016 ended and still no online system.  So as a resolution I decided to loose weight and remake my prototype Passive MMO project into something more usable by the community. 

I decided to go with node.js, socket.io and express.  In my original prototype I did everything through sockets, while it was highly effective and fast, it wasn't very secure.  So this time around I'm implementing a strong handshake with jwt and socket.io.  I would really like to clarify that this will NOT be a traditional MMO system initially.  What I am focusing on first is a secured login system that you can call and use anytime within your game, as well as a platform for other developers to make their own api/socket modules.  I tried to keep everything in the code super modular and intend to go as deep as possible when making youtube tutorials for both developers and non-developers.

On to the questions.....that I asked myself.... :p

When are you releasing the code?

Github repo up top ^

Can you make a MMO with this?

Yup.  Eventually...

Will I understand how to use it?

As I started making this system I realized just how many moving parts there are to properly setup and configure what is essentially a web app alongside MV.  It is totally doable, but for the average game developer it might be a little daunting.  So I'm really going to focus on documentation and video tutorials for everything.

Is the login system the only thing that'll be released?

Day one...yes.  Going forward there will be more.

Are you going to disappear and leave us like all the others?

Reality is cruel and hard.  I have 2 kids and a full time job...life does interfere a lot.  My goal is to get the youtube tutorials out super quick so the community can start using it right away just in case....

You mentioned you had an prototype?

You can check out the original prototype here.  If you press esc it has a rudimentary chat window.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tome571

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks on the work for this so far. I hope that it is used well in the community and can grow with some APIs like you envision. 

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Ohhh, this one has potential.

Thanks for the hard work! I give you my full support.

10kk

Parallel Process irl
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A very ambitious endeavor. A stable online system for a game would be insane.

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What engine is this for?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
What engine is this for?

You're in the JS Plugins in development forum, which only applies to MV. MV also happens to be the only maker capable of decent networking. 

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You're in the JS Plugins in development forum, which only applies to MV. MV also happens to be the only maker capable of decent networking. 

I just wanted to make sure because just yesterday I was told multiplayer was utterly impossible for MV?

Zalerinian

Jack of all Errors
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Oh it's not impossible at all. It's largely impractical, but not impossible.

Virtually no plugins that add content to systems such as the battle or party would be compatible with an online game because these plugins are developed around MV's base design, which features a single player on a single computer. So right from the beginning, if you want to make an online game, unless specifically designed, assume all plugins can't work with your project anymore.

A programmer, or team of programmers, will need to spend several thousand hours developing, testing, and changing such a system. This is not free. Not a chance. This will cause an exorbitant amount of money to anyone on these forums that wants to make a game. 

By changing a lot of how MV works, the editor becomes more and more useless. As more features in the games code are changed, the more they will eventually become incompatible with whatever format the editor uses, meaning you then need to spend even more time and money developing, adapting, or finding other tools for you to work with. 

Additionally, with the base of MV changed so much, you can't rely on updates provided for the engine. Chances are you'll have changed how parts of the system that the update applies to, causing updates to be very potentially incompatible. 

It's certainly not impossible to do any of these, but it also certainly isn't something I expect anyone to actually put the effort into for a very, very long time. 

Serranogun

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Virtually no plugins that add content to systems such as the battle or party would be compatible with an online game because these plugins are developed around MV's base design, which features a single player on a single computer. So right from the beginning, if you want to make an online game, unless specifically designed, assume all plugins can't work with your project anymore.

A programmer, or team of programmers, will need to spend several thousand hours developing, testing, and changing such a system. This is not free. Not a chance. This will cause an exorbitant amount of money to anyone on these forums that wants to make a game. 

By changing a lot of how MV works, the editor becomes more and more useless. As more features in the games code are changed, the more they will eventually become incompatible with whatever format the editor uses, meaning you then need to spend even more time and money developing, adapting, or finding other tools for you to work with. 

Additionally, with the base of MV changed so much, you can't rely on updates provided for the engine. Chances are you'll have changed how parts of the system that the update applies to, causing updates to be very potentially incompatible. 

It's certainly not impossible to do any of these, but it also certainly isn't something I expect anyone to actually put the effort into for a very, very long time. 

@Zalerinian  so it is even possible to use this on ACE or other versions? what if you just make main lobby that people can get in online and do the missions as single? i think it is very useful.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
You can make one for Ace, but this specific probably wont if it's made in JS, unless ofc its written in a way that it can be called by other languages. 

what if you just make main lobby that people can get in online and do the missions as single? i think it is very useful.

Like this

•  

That will be easier but then what's the purpose of going online if it's just a lobby?

RetroBoy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So, lets say I want a little chat window in the bottom corner of my game so that people can call one another fags while they play and there is no other connection to the game -- is that possible?

What about video?

Can I make Final Fantasy Chat-Roulette with this?

Hudell

Dog Lord
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Java's Crypt
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm sure a few people made chat systems for ace in the past. 

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks for the support everyone!

@Zalerinian has a point here for integrating things like a battle system online.  However there is value in being able to just "see" the other player.  One idea that comes to mind is a race format for a dungeon.  Imagine 2-8 people going through the same dungeon, with puzzles and battles like normal and the winner gets extra gold/items/bragging rights....it's simple and easy to code, and gives the players a solid multiplayer experience.

@Serranogun - This will be for MV only going forward....the api is exposed, so if someone wants to make the REST calls with ACE they theoretically could.  I just won't be doing it.

So, lets say I want a little chat window in the bottom corner of my game so that people can call one another fags while they play and there is no other connection to the game -- is that possible?

What about video?

Can I make Final Fantasy Chat-Roulette with this?

@RetroBoy  Chat window is totally doable, and you gave me an idea to implement a bad word dictionary.....because everyone would love to be called a raging AWESOME PERSON while in the chat :)

As for streaming video and audiio...I have tested out video and audio WebRTC connections and they do work.  So yes...theoretically you can make Final Fantasy chat roulette.  It's a pain in the ass to use, and it is a ***** to code.....but if you feel like going for it, it's totally possible.

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi All,

Updated the thread with a github repo link and overview video at the top of the thread.

boszalex

Junior Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Tag-lish
Primarily Uses
Nice! Looking forward to battle system and other features for MMORPG.

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm personally fairly invested in the idea of your plugin. Should I gain the ability to work more full time on plugins like I want to be able to I actually have ideas for things I'd like to write for online play.

Mind you I'd have to learn the inner workings of your plugin and re-write the ones I'm currently working on to work with it but I feel like it'd be worth it.

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi All,

I realized how brutal that Overview Video was after releasing it.....my apologies.  With that....I came out with a more focused tutorial/walkthrough on how to setup the server and client here:

(Updated the OP at the top of the thread as well)

I'm personally fairly invested in the idea of your plugin. Should I gain the ability to work more full time on plugins like I want to be able to I actually have ideas for things I'd like to write for online play.

Mind you I'd have to learn the inner workings of your plugin and re-write the ones I'm currently working on to work with it but I feel like it'd be worth it.

LMAO....Full time.....I'm lucky if I get a couple hours a week.  Good luck in going more full time with it :)

As for the actual inner workings there's really not much going on other than a basic api and socket connection. It's more the concept of modular design with respect to node.   I'm going to go more in depth and make a couple plugins over youtube videos so other devs can get ideas on how to code their own stuff within this system. If you have any questions feel free to ask away here or PM me if it's something specific.

Sekunri

Creator of Worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I work on it about 6-8 hours a week at current. Which is not nearly enough.

And once im able to test your plugin ill ask questions for sure.

boszalex

Junior Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Tag-lish
Primarily Uses
a little help here master.

error.PNG

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Finnuval wrote on Alador's profile.
Cute new avatar you got there ;)
Alberest so far, got a lot done but still ALOT left to do.
Wish I had a better means of taking screenshots...
Map is 148x98

concept: zombie slayer fest.

Lag because of outdated hardware.

Lots todo:
-Terrax lightning should have another step for the flashlight, between up down left right.
-Also Online mv from Nelderson should emit the flashlight from the other player.
-Animation needed for killing the zombie...
Before adding it to #crypchania.
Working on a case. Get all the evidence to prosecute some bad guys. :kaojoy:
But, the game development schedule delayed. :kaoswt2:
The moral of the story: No good deed goes unpunished... I guess...
Except that, nothing to see here. :kaoswt2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeelsonT