Nelderson's Online Core

What module would you like to see next? (Pick top 2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jtarules89

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Nelderson How do you want me to send you a demo of my game? I can for sure send you a demo that is not a problem. I am also having issues with my abs battle system through the web browser. It seems to work fine through the game testing locally, but when I go to test it on the browser it does not work. Thanks for the responses to help me I really appreciate it.

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You can PM me a demo of the original project. I am not going to be testing any other plugins you have. I'm having enough "fun" making sure my own plugins work properly.

jtarules89

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
You can PM me a demo of the original project. I am not going to be testing any other plugins you have. I'm having enough "fun" making sure my own plugins work properly.
I will pm you a demo here in a few minutes

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi All,

I finally updated the github repo with the chat system. The youtube tutorial should be coming out in a few days.

firelad

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Great work so far! I wonder though - will there be the character selection screen in the future updates? Will there be characters with their own names, instead of using the username in game? Anything to do with the characters?

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello! Great work so far! I wonder though - will there be the character selection screen in the future updates? Will there be characters with their own names, instead of using the username in game? Anything to do with the characters?
A character selection screen has to be done in two stages. One is an actual character selection screen, which idk of anyone actually making one? The second would be how to transfer the spriteset to everyone else? The only simple way is to have every variation on your server, and use it every time a map loads for a network player. I won't be making said plugin, but I'll be glad to point anybody in the right direction if they attempt it.

As for character name instead of username ofc it's possible. It's literally one line to change in my Online Chat plugin if you want it. The only problem I foresee is that you may have a bunch of people named Cloud or Sora all over the place and how will you know which one is which? Usernames in my system are unique by default, so I kept it that way for sanity's sake.

jtarules89

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Nelderson Hello I would love to see a character selection screen added to this great project if possible. I think it would be a great addition.

Kavex

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a very curious project and something I plan on keeping an eye on.

Few questions since js and node skills isn't my strong suite.

Is MongoDB install and set up separately or does it install along side the npm install?
I'm assuring you would put your game files into game_resource file? or is it just ran on web server separately and the game_resource is just for the game project?

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kavex I have a whole tutorial on how to setup the system:

If you have a windows machine I would also watch this video:

As for MongoDB it is a separate service/server. I use mlab.com which is a cloud solution for mongoDB in the videos, but you can setup a mongoDB database on any server/computer you want.

For actual game deployment you can use the static server to serve up your game (Built into the system - video below) or just simply deploy your game on Windows, Mac, Android, iOS and it'll connect to your server normally.

Last edited:
Reactions: Val

Val

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
Just want to say WOWWWW!!! Continue to do your best with this crazy great opportunity :D Nice job!!

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Holy crap someone is finally doing this. I hope you keep working on this till the end of time. Having kids/work and a life come first. But I hope you don't in the end burn out like 99% of everyone else who ended up diving into Online Anything for MV.

When it comes to MP Anything I'm always willing to help test or be used as a slave if you need.

I'm hoping things come in slow and even modular. TBH I would be super happy if I could even have a basic world where you see other players but they are still in Single Player like Ghosts or something in a sense. Work baby steps so their gameplay / everything is still all local and they might be off killing a mob that you don't even see for example.

Either way Looking forward to this :)

EDIT: Ahh I see there was a Poll I had missed a while back. This feature is planned but looks like not for a while sadly. I feel sadly this one would been much easier then PvP in the logistics of things hehe.

Either way when the ability does come in I hope we can disable the Login System. I would just enjoy if players can auto connect to a server or had a choice to connect to the server but there is no login etc. Maybe some sort of hash saved locally to keep their identity. But I just like the idea of players seeing others players and talking and maybe more features down the road like trading, or server side chests, events, etc.

Sort of like a very passive Online MMORPG without the need for an account or complex things from the players.

Last edited:

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Holy crap someone is finally doing this. I hope you keep working on this till the end of time. Having kids/work and a life come first. But I hope you don't in the end burn out like 99% of everyone else who ended up diving into Online Anything for MV.

When it comes to MP Anything I'm always willing to help test or be used as a slave if you need.
I'll hold you to that.

I'm hoping things come in slow and even modular. TBH I would be super happy if I could even have a basic world where you see other players but they are still in Single Player like Ghosts or something in a sense. Work baby steps so their gameplay / everything is still all local and they might be off killing a mob that you don't even see for example.
That's exactly what I have right now. Players can't interact with each other atm, but they can see one another. The chat and seeing other players is already up and running. And I kept everything modular. You can take away any one of the plugins (Except the core) and it'll run fine.

Either way when the ability does come in I hope we can disable the Login System. I would just enjoy if players can auto connect to a server or had a choice to connect to the server but there is no login etc. Maybe some sort of hash saved locally to keep their identity. But I just like the idea of players seeing others players and talking and maybe more features down the road like trading, or server side chests, events, etc.
If you really want to disable the login I'll be more than glad to show you but there are a couple caveats. The first is that it won't be secure. People could make their own socket connection at any time and force coordinates or chats to all channels without you knowing who is doing it. The second would be the chat itself. How would you determine names in chat? You'd also have to contend with how you're going to deal when there are like 4 Soras on the map and which one is talking?

I'd rather be more secure in the socket connections as the default though. It provides a higher standard in case somebody wants to publish their game commercially. A hash stored locally somewhere can easily be hacked. A username and password is completely on the server side and therefore much more secure in general.

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks, Yeah it does make sense and I do understand that. Was hoping there was a way to do it so was sort like Freelancer (The Game) they just had a local hash they created and sycned with the server. People could not really hack this because other clients could not grab it. Would be the same thing as logging in but rather a key was created on both sides of the pond sort of speak.

When comes to games the humans are more lazy then ever haha.

But I guess also why force the players to play MP Anyways right? I guess the best thing I should do and try maybe it's already easy is when they play their in Single Player. When they go online they can maybe go to the a menu or npc to just login and poof now they are online. This way you sort of get best of both worlds.

Either way I'm amazed how far your project is. I really need to sit down and start working with it asap!

Thanks for the feedback and information!

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How did I not see this thread before. :o
@Nelderson I am also in the process of making a full MMO project using a lot of the same stuff you are using (socket.io, NodeJs, MongoDB, Express). Believe yours is a bit ahead of mine (you already display players on the map o_O). Anyway good luck on this project! :D

Just a question: Why don't you use SSL for an additional layer of security?

firelad

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A character selection screen has to be done in two stages. One is an actual character selection screen, which idk of anyone actually making one? The second would be how to transfer the spriteset to everyone else? The only simple way is to have every variation on your server, and use it every time a map loads for a network player. I won't be making said plugin, but I'll be glad to point anybody in the right direction if they attempt it.

As for character name instead of username ofc it's possible. It's literally one line to change in my Online Chat plugin if you want it. The only problem I foresee is that you may have a bunch of people named Cloud or Sora all over the place and how will you know which one is which? Usernames in my system are unique by default, so I kept it that way for sanity's sake.
I meant to say that people can name their characters, but still use username to log in. That is what most MMOs do, you log in with a username, create characters and name them, and so on.

I currently am trying to make the character selection and creation screens. I'm such a newbie in Javascript, lol. I got another project to work on as well, so this might will take some time.

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
How did I not see this thread before. :o
@Nelderson I am also in the process of making a full MMO project using a lot of the same stuff you are using (socket.io, NodeJs, MongoDB, Express). Believe yours is a bit ahead of mine (you already display players on the map o_O). Anyway good luck on this project! :D
You might be interested in my dev series. Honestly I made this so you don't have to think too much about basic node setup and socket/mongodb handling. It's all modular, so you can take everything and build whatever extra you want. Subscribe to my Youtube channel cause I will be coming out with a whole series to get you going. Even if you don't want to use my system you can certainly take some of the logic and principles with you :)

Just a question: Why don't you use SSL for an additional layer of security?
Planned for a future update with a tutorial. My system is totally capable of using SSL. The reason I haven't yet is setting up SSL for the average game maker on a server is intense so I'm waiting to make a tutorial before I release it. I did give a quick and dirty tutorial on the forums when I made a demo for Facebook (Requires SSL/HTTPS) https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mv-as-facebook-app.52031/#post-524033 although now I'd probably incorporate https://letsencrypt.org/

I meant to say that people can name their characters, but still use username to log in. That is what most MMOs do, you log in with a username, create characters and name them, and so on.

I currently am trying to make the character selection and creation screens. I'm such a newbie in Javascript, lol. I got another project to work on as well, so this might will take some time.
No problem with making chat by character(Feature request added in github), but for security as a whole; login is recommended :)
Good luck making that character selection screen! When it comes out I'll see if I can implement it

Last edited:

Sarlecc

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I definitely like your setup on the server, keeps the files clean IMO.
Honestly I made this so you don't have to think too much about basic node setup and socket/mongodb handling.
In this regard mine is pretty much the same after initial setup (I think you are better at writing tutorials on how to use something then I am though :p).
Subscribe to my Youtube channel cause I will be coming out with a whole series to get you going.
Sadly my bandwidth issues probably would not allow for this at this time. :/
Planned for a future update with a tutorial. My system is totally capable of using SSL. The reason I haven't yet is setting up SSL for the average game maker on a server is intense so I'm waiting to make a tutorial before I release it.
I suggest taking a look at OpenSSL when you are ready for making your system SSL ready.

firelad

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No problem with making chat by character(Feature request added in github), but for security as a whole; login is recommended :)
Good luck making that character selection screen! When it comes out I'll see if I can implement it
Perfect. I'll be looking forward to it. :)

kwanzaabot

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've seen people developing online systems since the XP days, and every time I have to wonder... why?

RPG Maker games are so niche that any online game is going to have half a dozen players--at most--available at any given time.

MMOs and FPSes work because they have millions of potential players to draw from. The RPG Maker community is, what, a few thousand? And they're spread across thousands of games, most of which only have a few hours' worth of content.

Nelderson

Coding *****
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@kwanzaabot I agree that a straight MMO concept makes very little sense, but online connectivity makes complete sense in the right applications. Just to name a few examples:

1. Chat - Can be purely social, but provide a cool way to interact while playing same game/level
2. Metrics - See what your players are doing in certain areas of your game without them having to fill out a survey or watching over their shoulder.
3. Leaderboard - You both need to get scores and update the player on these scores which requires connectivity.
4. Cloud Save - Multiple devices...one place to save your game.
5. PVP one offs - Think old school pokemon gameboy editions. Where the main game is still single player, but a section for a PVP battle arena?
6. Map streaming - Never have to do an update on the entire app since you can just update the map to be streamed from the server.
7. In app purchases - Usually evil....but you need to be able to verify what purchases have been made and secure these channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So I have a lighter work schedule next week. Is that a sign to move on to MZ?
I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON