Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Plugin: NeMV - Battle Action Messages

Version: 1.0.1

Author: Nekoyoubi

Release: May 1st 2016

Download: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/nekoyoubi/NeMV/master/NeMV_BattleActionMessages.js

Requires: n/a

Introduction

This plugin allows your skill and item messages to be customized in the moment by writing JavaScript eval() code in the item or skill’s notebox.

Features

• Simple notetag setup
  • Complete control over skill/item messages via JavaScript
  • No prerequisite plugins

Example Use Cases

• Randomizing attack messages (e.g. " attacks!", " swings wildly!", " boops.")
  • Display dynamic information to the player (e.g. "Cold Touch is empowered by Ice Field (+50%)")
  • Add meaningless flavor-text to your items (e.g. "*Bleh! That tastes awful!" after a potion is consumed)

How to Use

Add custom messages to your skills and items via the following notetag:

Code:
Skill/Item > Notebox > <BAM EVAL>m1="Line 1"; m2="Line 2";</BAM EVAL>
The m1 and m2 variables correspond to the message line as they are normally specified in RMMV on skills and items. Note that subject, user, and a all refer to the actor using the skill or item, and item and skill both refer to the item or skill being used.

Here are a couple of examples…

Code:
<bam eval>
var rando = [" attacks!", " swings wide!", " lunges!"];
m1 = rando[Math.floor(rando.length*Math.random())];
</bam eval>
Code:
<bam eval>
if (user.isStateAffected(200))
m2 = "("+skill.name+" is super-charged with Rainbow Power!)";
</bam eval>

Script (external)

NeMV on GitHub  |  BAM on GitHub  |  BAM on MV Plugins  |  BAM on Stitch Gaming  |  >> Download BAM <<

FAQ

Q: Does this work with YEP - ______?

A: While this plugin doesn't actually require any of Yanfly's plugins to perform its function, it should still be completely compatible with the YEP. As it is, I run an almost full YEP stack by default without issue. 

Q: Is this able to be used in commercial projects?

A: Absolutely! Wouldn't that be cool?!

Q: If I use this, do I need to say so anywhere?

A: If you can make use of my work on any level, then I would absolutely love to know about it, but I make no attribution requirements or the like. NeMV is licensed under the WTFPLv2.

Credits & Thanks

• Goldschuss for asking me to build it in the first place.
  • Servidion for being an awesome guinea pij (+10 points if you get the reference).
  • Yanfly for... well... I mean, you know... I'm sure I back-owe Yanny thanks anyway, so whatever.

Author's Notes

This plugin is the response to a request by Goldschuss. After seeing how simple this would be to write, but how absolutely needed it was, I simply couldn't resist. I hope you get more from it than you expect. Happy messaging!

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldschuss

The creator of Lye Bastion
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
Having direct contact with someone who knows how to write Plug-Ins, surely has it's perks :D

Otakuhn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for this , adds some much needed immersion.

Radis3D

Just a Devilz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
my i get the screenshot or demo? o_O

Nekoyoubi

Plugin & Utility Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
As for a screenshot, this will look exactly like what it looks like when you enter data here (on skills)...

... as it's quite literally just replacing these data-points with notetag js evals.

Other than that, there really isn't much to see that you don't normally see...

... I mean, I can give you a screenshot of some notetags, but I'm pretty sure I covered those bases already in the documentation...

I hope that helps answer your question/request. I will probably never default to taking screenshots or recordings for base-mechanical changes that my plugins make to the game as that just seems redundant, and I wouldn't want to give people the impression it was doing something more than it is because of other things they may glean from a screenshot.

Also, so sorry about your eyes. That looks painful. ;)

Radis3D

Just a Devilz
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
As for a screenshot, this will look exactly like what it looks like when you enter data here (on skills)...

... as it's quite literally just replacing these data-points with notetag js evals.

Other than that, there really isn't much to see that you don't normally see...

... I mean, I can give you a screenshot of some notetags, but I'm pretty sure I covered those bases already in the documentation...

I hope that helps answer your question/request. I will probably never default to taking screenshots or recordings for base-mechanical changes that my plugins make to the game as that just seems redundant, and I wouldn't want to give people the impression it was doing something more than it is because of other things they may glean from a screenshot.

Also, so sorry about your eyes. That looks painful. ;)

sankyu..

:3 i got it now... *big hug*
sorry for disturbing :(

1 more, must we write down on here?

or just write on note?

Nekoyoubi

Plugin & Utility Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Never a problem, and you didn't disturb me at all. I was just having a bit of fun at your emoji's expense; no offense intended.

As for writing in the original Message > [Line 1]/[Line 2] area there, that really depends on how you're planning to use it, but perhaps an example would illustrate better:

If you know you're always going to use `m1` for random attack messages as I have in the above example, then there's no need to fill anything into the Message > [Line 1] textbox, as it will be immediately replaced. On the other hand, since you can use the eval to only override one line if and as you see fit, then you could set up a series of skills that all have their own "hard-coded" Message > [Line 1], but all have a blank [Line 2] that may or may not get replaced by those evals when checking against another criteria (like my "Rainbow Power!" check above).

Does that help that make more sense? Sadly, I'm trying to answer your question while still being as vague as I can so it can apply to the most interpretations possible. If I'm missing the mark though, please let me know and I'll do my best to clear it up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

buinguyenhoangtho wrote on fizzly's profile.
Hello @fizzly, i would like to use your asset/ resource for my project ( is maybe commercial ). May i have your permission? Thanks you !
Working on breaking the limits of RPGMaker! :cool:
I have 470+ hours on RMMV but have only made a demo game, is this normal? :kaoswt: (I lose motivation a lot plus I use a 32gb laptop, so..)
I like Iron Maiden.
Benku wrote on Magnus0808's profile.
Hey man you helped me out a long time ago with a plugin i was wondering if you can help me out one more time since its literally the last thing i need help with if not is cool but id figured id ask you one more soild.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AphoticAmaranth