Neon Black's Large Sprite Fix

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Shaz, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yep, thanks guys.

When you said "2 star tiles with the player between them", I thought about having 2 star tiles on the exact same location, i.e. x=25 y=12 for both.

But yeah, I get it now. I have the "common bug". Phew. x)

2. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Any news on this? :)

3. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Guys, can you please try this plugin and let me know how it goes?

Save it as ShazLargeSpriteFix.js and disable the original one.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2015
  4. King Gerar

King Gerar Sword of the Morning Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey, I have a problem with this bug too.

I tested your plugin, Shaz, and it's do work best, I think, than Neon Black's fix. See the image.

[​IMG]

But (ever have a but T-T), all tiles with star and with the number tag are showed below the character, even if in the same coordinates (or same tile).

The right would be, I think, that a tile with star and tag only will be showed below the character when tile Y == player Y - 1 (you know this but... I'm trying help).

I want much this correction, and you already made a great progress in my opinion.

Ah, and the performance of your plugin is better than other, bacause my fps lowered to 45~50, and now stay in 60 :D

Any quest I'm willing to help!

OBS.: my char have 72 pixel height (54 if excluding transparent parts)

5. MikeMakes

MikeMakes Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    The sprite in between 2 star tiles on the same layer (z-axis wise) works now.

However, when there are 2 star tiles overlapped on each other, there are still problems. For example, if the top tip of a tree is layered in front of a tree bottom in the back and the player is in front of the back tree's bottom, but also behind the front's tree's top tip, the player's head will still show above all. This is the case regardless if the tree top's tag is 7 or 0. I would expect if the tree top is 0, the player would be underneath it no matter what.

[​IMG]

I really appreciate that RPG Maker staff actually delegated the responsibility to fix one of the included launch plugin, and a pretty important one at that because it brings back XP-like large sprite functionality, which is important for custom sprite sizes.

@ King Gerar: Is your entire table sprite tiles (top and bottom)'s terrain tag of 7?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2015
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Mike, are you able to show me a screenshot of the tree thing from the actual map (in-game) to clarify, as well as screenshots from the tileset showing the passage settings and the terrain tags?  I think the problem is that the map tiles are drawn on either the lower or the upper layer, and the characters are normally drawn between them, and the script makes that part of the character draw above the upper layer.  There is not an in-between layer where the character can be sandwiched between two upper layer sprites.

@King Gerar, are you sure you have everything set correctly?  Plugin is in and has the right file name, the terrain id you've used in the plugin is the same as what you've used on the tile, and that it has a star?  If you're sure everything is correct, would you mind please sending me the map .json file, the Tilesets.json file, your player character image, and your tileset images for that screenshot?

7. King Gerar

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MikeMakes, well, I marked only the top parts with the tag, because the inferior parts always are below character (they're marked with circle).

Shaz, I checked all here, and from I understand, is rightly configured. The images below to confirm, and all tiles with tag 7 are marked with star too. I'll send archives for pm, allright?

Plugin name

[​IMG]

-

Tag number on the plugin and tiles

[​IMG]

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yep, please zip up the necessary files and send me a link to download them.  I'll take a look at what's going on, as it should work properly.

9. Mcleavestein

Mcleavestein Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi Shaz. I keep getting an error message in the Console of my developer tools program. It reads...

"/G:/First%20test/js/plugins/neon_black's_mv_large_sprite_fix.js:59 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'toLowerCase' of undefined"

I turned off all plugins and I still get the error. For some reason, the game continues to work, but the plugin doesn't. Perhaps the latest patch killed it?

EDIT: Figured it out. Typo in the name. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
  10. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So which download is the one for the fix of this script? HAS it been fixed since I posted on 6 December? This is the latest version that works?

http://pastebin.com/zpCDAQPD

11. King Gerar

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, I'm using this version updated by Shaz and it's working. When the player passes over a tile marked with star, the fps drops a bit, but when a event passes, the fps drops muuuuch, something around of 20 fps. I'm trying improve this, but I don't have enough knowledge. :/

RedAkerston likes this.
  12. RedAkerston

RedAkerston Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Shaz' rewrite from the previous page doesn't seem to work for me, but the 1.1 update does.

Still, i get the same problem as everyone else. FRAMERATE DETH.

Kinda makes it so i can't really release the game with this plugin... maybe if it is used ultra sparingly.

I hope someone can fix the frame rate issues because it's such a crucial plugin for anyone who wants to use bigger sprites.

This plugin literally crashed my old computer, completely, shut down. Dead.

Even with my new one that is pretty decent i5 4210 2.60 with 860m card ...

i drown to 1-20fps on these tiles.

And considering i'm using Terrax lighting and Quasi plugins ... with no drop in fps at all,

and even with everything turned off but for this plugin the fps still dies...

I don't even know... But i hope someone fixes it because it's really critical.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2016
    Cinnamon likes this.
  13. Cinnamon

Cinnamon Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

I have the same problem. :/

Can we PM someone to fix this? It's such an important feature.

RedAkerston likes this.
  14. Aureus

Aureus The Noob Who Tries Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I tried both plugins and they do not help me at all. 

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can you please explain to me what shall I put into the "terrain ID" option?

bug.jpg

15. RedAkerston

First Language:
    English

As far as i know, the terrain ID just has to match whatever you select in the plugin options.

If you set the ID to 1 for example, then in the tileset editor in the database, you set the star tiles that you want to not cover the players head, to 1.

If that's not working, then it could be a conflict with another one of your plugins.

...i'd love to know how it impacts your frame rate if you get it working.

16. Aureus

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    And is the "terrain ID" the same thing, what "terain tag" from the database -> tilesets -> selected page -> terrain tag (under the Damage Floor)?

RedAkerston likes this.
  17. RedAkerston

First Language:
    English

Yup

18. Aureus

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So both versions didn't do anything. : ) :

19. RedAkerston

First Language:
    English

Have you made a new project (test project) to see if it works there?

Aureus likes this.
  20. Aureus

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You are right - in new project it works ok., what is surprising since in the main game I "turned off" all of the plugins. Sad panda, since I don't know what else to do.

However yes - the frame rate drops so much it makes it look like a comic book.

I'm actually really surprised. One could assume that this is like top-priority issue since the in-game characters look very chibi-like and having higher sprites seems like a main way to go. I don't see a reason why there is no perfect solution to this yet. (Although I know nothing about JS, maybe it really IS impossible.)

RedAkerston likes this.