Neon Black's Large Sprite Fix

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by Shaz, Nov 12, 2015.

1. RedAkerston

RedAkerston Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes, it's a very strange plugin to be left derelict still ... after ... 8 months now.. hahaha.

There's plenty of people working with Chibi's, but large sprites are also extremely common. 

At least... i think they are? I would be really surprised if not.

Everyone who uses them should be contending with this problem.

I'm not sure what we can really do about it. Keep hoping maybe it one day gets attended to?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The updated plugin should fix MOST of these issues - certainly the image a few posts ago.  If it's not, I suspect you're not using it correctly.  There is only one issue that has been reported that still needs to be fixed, and that's when you have two star tiles on the same spot, and the player needs to be shown between them.

Unfortunately this issue came about with the change of the mapping methods.  In XP you could set a priority for each tile, which would control whether it displayed in front of or behind the player, depending on where they were standing.  With the removal of that in VX, Ace and MV, and the reduction from 3 layers of mapping to 2, you have much less control.

To fix this remaining issue would require a rewrite of a lot of the display logic, which would affect not only character sprites but EVERYTHING displayed on the map (parallax, fog, images, animations ...) and would likely cause issues with other plugins as well.

3. RedAkerston

First Language:
    English
    OK, i got it. FIXED

Both the 1.0 and 1.1 versions on the first topic post work, but i get 2FPS when i am near one of those tiles in game.

The one you posted further into the topic does work without lag, but ONLY when the terrain tag is set to 7.

For whatever reason, other tag numbers are not working for me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2016
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If you want to change the number, you have to change the terrain tag in the tileset AND in the plugin parameters.  Because the plugin only allows one terrain tag, you can't use multiple terrain tags on the tileset to do the same thing - they all have to use the number you've specified in the plugin.

Do you have other plugins that use other terrain tags?  

If you can't get it working, please show a screenshot of the plugin parameters, and a screenshot of the tileset with the terrain tags showing.

5. RedAkerston

First Language:
    English

ISSUE on some maps, and only on some maps, i get a crash 'Cannot read property 'list' of undefined' as soon as i enter the map.

RESOLUTION After investigating, it seems that the crash occurs whenever there is an event on the map where one of the event pages requires that a switch be turned on (Not self switch but actual switch), and if the switch is not on, then the game crashes.

This only happens if there is not a blank page on the event. (Or a page without a switch)

Typically, if the event has no function without the switch being on, one might disregard putting a blank page on the front.

For some reason, with this plugin, it crashes the game to skip that.

If i may...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2016
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is the point of the video?  I don't like watching videos when screenshots could show the error better, and that's nothing but a music video - nothing at all to do with your issue.  So thanks for wasting my time.  I really appreciate that.

Your last post also has no reference whatsoever to the other issue you were having, so I've no idea now whether you've resolved that or whether you're having more issues now.

When you indicate that you've disabled the plugin and the error goes away, and you've provided a screenshot from the console window showing more details about the error, then I'll help you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  7. RedAkerston

First Language:
    English
    As noted above, the original issue was fixed.

but i do remain oblivious as to why only terrain tag 7 works.

I decided it's not really an issue worth looking into, however, because it really makes no difference...

Unless you're making heavier use of terrain tags and having the problem,

but no one else has raised that yet either, so..

The issue i encountered second... with the blank page,

seems to be a general one, not specific to my setup.

So i figured out what was going on and posted the resolution, above, 

as it might help others who encounter it, also.

Both issues could be considered a waste of time in so far as the plugin operates perfectly despite them.

The video link.. well, i should take some responsibility for not knowing how to embed the video itself in a post so users can see it before clicking. ... but it's probably a lesser thing unless you really, REALLY hate the pumpkins.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2016
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If anyone is still having issues with this plugin, Victor has just released a script that MAY make this plugin redundant - it might be worth taking a look at, but back up your project first, because if it doesn't solve this issue you'd have to undo your tileset & plugin changes.

9. Neo Soul Gamer

Neo Soul Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @Shaz

So considering that this plugin may still be of use to people (including myself), I figured I'd do what RedAkerston DIDN'T do and post the error that was mentioned.

The error is: Cannot read property 'list' of undefined

I think it may have something to do with the Erase Event function. Do you think you can take a look at this?

upload_2017-5-11_20-32-22.png

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is the line (in the second version of the plugin on page 2) that's causing the problem:
    Code:
    this._largeSprite = this.list().some(function(cmd) {
    I can't tell you how to fix it as I don't have MV with me at work - it'll have to wait until I get home.

However I can tell you that I think the problem happens when you put a blank page with no conditions in your event. That is unnecessary. If you have a page with a sprite or commands that have conditions, you don't have to put a blank page with no conditions ahead of it. If you can't figure out what the fix is, look for the event that's causing the problem and remove the blank first page.

11. Ally

Ally Linked Rooms Games Founder - Fleshforward Member

First Language:
    Italy
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I've read the whole topic, but I still have lag problems.
    Maybe I missed some passage?

12. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This plugin has nothing to do with lag

Ally likes this.
  13. Ally

First Language:
    Italy
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    It's very weird, the plugin get delayed by 2fps ...

I use your plugin ^^

14. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I would recommend you don't apply it to events. What it does is split the sprite into two, so for every character you use this on, it's doing extra processing on every frame.

Actually, there are still some issues with this plugin. I don't know if Neon Black ever intends to do any further modifications. I don't plan to. If cut-off sprites becomes a problem for me, I will use Yanfly's Doodads.

Ally likes this.
  15. Ally

First Language:
    Italy
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I did not apply anything to any event, I tried it on a test map ... ^^'

16. Rave

Rave Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Hello, this plugin leads to performance degradation (as n, the game starts to slideshow) and ultimately a crash in 1.6.1 - does anyone know of alternatives to this plugin or a fixed version?

17. AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, one of my games has had a lag issue for ages, and I decided to turn this plug-in off (and only this one, kept everything else the same), and viola the lag was magically gone.

Of course, the remaining issue is I can't for the life of me find a plug-in that does the same thing as this plug-in, so this is a tricky situation.